cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6 on VMWARE

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a client upgrading from ECC 5 to ECC 6. They will be doing the upgrade while they are on Windows 2003 Servers and SQL Server DB 2005.

After the ECC Upgrade they plan to migrate to VM Ware running Windows Server 2008 and SQL DB 2008

How long should the migration take and what are the issues I need to watch out for?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks I appreciate the info. One last question. Would the same basic process apply to the CRM conversion to VM Ware? Basically set up the OS and DB first then do the homogeneous copy of CRM to the new VM Ware?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In all cases you can use the normal system copy guides and procedures. There's no special things to consider in the VM but the note I mentioned before.

Markus

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

Can any one share the download link for ECC 6.0 IDES and system requirements.

Thanks&Regards

Babuhari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not familiar with STMS. I am a project manager without config skills. Have a good fundamental knowledge of the system but not a Basis Admin level.

If I have a normal Dev-QAS-Prod SAP Path and I migrate the Dev environment from hardware to VM Ware. Will I still be able to provide normal production support with a VM Ware Dev-Hardware QAS-Hardware Prod path?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If I have a normal Dev-QAS-Prod SAP Path and I migrate the Dev environment from hardware to VM Ware. Will I still be able to provide normal production support with a VM Ware Dev-Hardware QAS-Hardware Prod path?

Yes, there's no difference.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I run transports from a vm ware system to a hardware system? I am trying to determine if I need a separate production support path while I do the vm ware migration or if I can do the migration during overnight maintenance windows.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Can I run transports from a vm ware system to a hardware system?

Transports in sense of STMS? If yes, they are operating system and database independent so yes, you can do that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks So I would need a Basis Admin and probably a DBA? I do the Op Sys and DB Upgrades, then copy ECC 6 over to the new VM Ware.

Would this take about 1 week per environment??? It is only a 500 GB database. They are a 98% SAP shop with very few interfaces. The toughest coordination will be between the ECC environment and the CRM environment.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It can be much faster than a week. If the target OS and database is already installed it's a matter of how long you need to move the database files to the new machine - or how long your storage admin needs to present the disks to the VM.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

installing is the longest part, moving from one server to another can be done from within a few hours. it all depends on the speed of your disks, hardware and network.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Markus,

I recently had to do a new install which required to have SQL 2005 (from vbs cd) and SAP ECC 6 installed. Then I wanted to take a shortcut and do a restore of db from backup

same SID, different server name and IP address, This did not work.

I'm not sure I understand presenting the SAN to the new server. Could you please describe the activity?

Thanks

Maria

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> same SID, different server name and IP address, This did not work.

Did you follow the homogeneous system copy guide? You have to do some post processing after the backup is restored.

> I'm not sure I understand presenting the SAN to the new server. Could you please describe the activity?

Depending on the SAN infrastructure you "present" the virtual disks to a machine. If the source and target are connected to the same SAN you can simply point the disks to the new machine. However, this is totally SAN dependent.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

So if I follow this correctly. I can conduct my upgrade first on the existing hardware. I then do the Windows, SQL and ECC 6 install on the new VM Ware, then copy the database from the ECC 6 old hardware to the new?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I then do the Windows, SQL and ECC 6 install on the new VM Ware, then copy the database from the ECC 6 old hardware to the new?

no need to first install a full ERP 6.0 and then "overwrite" the existing database. You can do a homogeneous system copy by either restoring a backup, using detach/attach for the database or "move" the files by using the SAN.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Avoid using P to V option.

Make sure you install Win2008, SQL2008 and ECC6 on new virtual machine. once this is completed, backup/restore database on new virtual server. A better option if using a SAN, ask your SAN admin to move database disks from one server to another. This is FAST. I did this with Oracle but process should be similar with Ms-SQL by using ATTACH.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> After the ECC Upgrade they plan to migrate to VM Ware running Windows Server 2008 and SQL DB 2008

>

> How long should the migration take and what are the issues I need to watch out for?

Nobody will be able to answer that question. We don't know "how" the will migrate (system copy? VMware Migration tools?), we don't know the network speed for the copy process or if they will use a tape.

Check

Note 674851 - Virtualization on Windows

Note 1374671 - High Availability in Virtual Environment on Windows

Markus

Edited by: Markus Doehr on Oct 15, 2009 1:00 PM

wrong note number