cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do if Setup and Initialization take too long?

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I know that when we deal with 2LIS data source, we need to fill setup tables and run initialization first.

And I also know that there should be no transaction when we are filling setup tables and run initializations.

But, I tested my production instance, and found that it took almost completely two days to finish the whole process.

( 16 hours for setup tables, and another 20 hours to finish initialization.)

I can't ask ERP users not to create any documents for that long time.

What should I do?

Please give me suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Wen Wei,

1. Perform setup table, filter data before 2009/10.

2. Since you use cube, just do full load in BW.

3. Perform setup table, filter data for 2009/10 period, if date, then choose 01/10/2009 - 31/10/2009. (Downtime)

4. Run INIT without data transfer, no need to put any selection in infopackage. (Downtime)

5. Since you use cube, do full load again by putting selection 2009/10 in infopackage. (No downtime)

6. After that, you can run delta anytime you want.

Thanks.

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Handoko,

Thanks for your suggestion.

It's very clear.

Thank you. Points are given.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wen Wei,

No need to run point 3. You can append data to existing setup table. In this way, this setup table can later be used if you need to reload the closed period. This is if your datasource selection have fiscal year/period parameter or other time parameter.

Remember that you have to use Repair Full Request when doing Full Load for DSO, if not, you won't be able to INIT.

When you do INIT, do INIT without data transfer, so that you can leave the selection screen empty, which means, INIT will be done for all periods. After that, do full load with repair option.

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Handoko,

Let me clarify the steps again.

1. Filling setup table, filtering data after 2009/10 (ERP stops transaction)

2. Run initialization without data (After completed, ERP can start transaction)

3. Filling setup table, filtering data before 2009/10

4. Run full repair data upload to cube

5. After one month, run delta upload

Are these steps correct?

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wen Wei,

If you are using Queued Delta, then during Initialization With Data Transfer, users do not have to wait until this finish to post documents.

However, since you are using Direct Update method, my opinion is, check which 2LIS datasource you are using. When you perform setup table, see what parameters the program provides. If you have posting date there such as in 2LIS_03_BF, then you can perform setup table first for historical data up to the last closed periods. Then you can use a full load to BW. This activity is without any need to have R3 downtime.

For current period data, of course you need downtime, but this won't be long.

Thanks.

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Handoko,

Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion sounds great.

Do you mean that if I do the steps below:

(1) Filling setup table, filtering data before 2009/10

(2) Full upload data to cube

(3) Clear setup table

(4) Filling setup table, filtering data after 2009/10

(5) initialization upload data to cube

after these steps, all historical data would be uploaded to cube and the data after initilization would be put in to delta queue correctly?

Thanks so much for your help.

Wen-Wei

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Early delta initilization option will help you in your case.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/80/1a65dce07211d2acb80000e829fbfe/content.htm

Hope this helps

Manjula

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manjula,

I thought about early delta initialization, but some LIS data source don't support this option.

What should I do with those DS which don't support early delta?

And it can only solve the initialization time problem, right?

I mean, I still can't do any transaction while filling setup table, right?

Thanks a lot for your help!

ssurampally
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chaung,

First thing you can't post any entries/records during the setup table filling. Second one

If your data source/ Application is having Queued delta update, then you can always allow the users to post entries in R3 during the initialization run.

If your datasource is having Unserialized V3 update, then you need to use the "Early delta initialization " option to allow the user for posting entries during initialization.

So Conclusion, if you are using Queued delta, then it does not make sense to use Early delta initilization. Hope I am clear.

Regards

Sreekanth

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Sreekanth,

Thanks for your reply. It's very clear.

I still have a little problem: my Data Source is neither Queued Delta nor V3. They are all Direct Delta Update.

What should I do with Direct Delta -- Using early delta?

If data source does not support early delta, does that mean I should change update mode?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Wen-Wei

ssurampally
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your datasource has Direct delta update, then you have to wait unitl initialization is completed. secondly

If data source does not support early delta, does that mean I should change update mode?

You shold not change the delta update type for the reason of taking long time. Please clearly understand the business scenario and identify the delta update method appropritely.

You can go through the Roberto's blog to identify the correct delta update which suits your requirement.

Regards

Sreekanth.

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Sreekanth,

If I use Direct Delta Update and also Early Delta option, do I still have to wait until the initialization is complete?

Also, I came up an idea.

What if I use "initialization without data transfer" after filling setup table, and use a full upload to get the data in setup table, would it be the same effect with initialization with data transfer -- but in shorter time?

And I tried to locate Roberto's blog, but can't be sure which one is correct.

Would you please kindly probide me the link?

Thanks again for your great help.

Wen-Wei

ssurampally
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I use Direct Delta Update and also Early Delta option, do I still have to wait until the initialization is complete?

No need to wait, if early delta option is used. But as you said most of the datasources are not having this option.

So your second option is great, it should work well. We did followed this process in one of our implementations, The only change we have is, After init with out data transfer, run the full repair instead of full for some technical reason.

Please find the links for Roberto's blog.

/people/sap.user72/blog/2004/12/16/logistic-cockpit-delta-mechanism--episode-one-v3-update-the-145serializer146

/people/sap.user72/blog/2004/12/23/logistic-cockpit-delta-mechanism--episode-two-v3-update-when-some-problems-can-occur

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/01/19/logistic-cockpit-delta-mechanism--episode-three-the-new-update-methods

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/02/14/logistic-cockpit--when-you-need-more--first-option-enhance-it

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Sreekanth,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Would you mind share what is the technical reason you choose full repair upload instead full upload?

I thought the result should be same when we use this solution.

And thanks for your information.

It's very helpful.

Wen-Wei

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Plz check the below link

Best practices for setup and loading an SAP Business Warehouse : http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-3428ENW.pdf

Regards

Ram.

wen-wei_chuang2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply.

But I don't quite get it. We are not using HP hardware.

What do you suggest?