We are working on CRM 7.0 system. We create org model in the CRM system and pull positions and employees from HR.
In our development system I was able to assign the employee to the position and then the user to that employee. Then I went ahead and assigned the UI business role in the enhanced object description.
Now in the production system when I try to assign the employees to the position the system lets me search the employee and finally gives a message " No central person assigned for the business partner ID XXXXXXXX". In spro under master data- BP, I checked the configuration for - Integration business partner - Employee. The group "HRALX HRAC - X - Activate HR Integration" is active and also the rest of the values as suggested in the img documentation.
Note - When the employee is pulled into the CRM system from the HR (using the Tcode - pfal), the identification tab in the BP does not contain the "Personnel No". The value here is 0. Not sure if this is the reason.
Can anyone give any inputs.
Thank you Easwar for your response.
I had checked the number ranges and the external number range that was supposed to be used for employee is not selected.
I made the neccesary changes so that the extenal number range radio button is selected.
Under CRM - BP - Integration BP Org management - set up integration with org management ---
manitained the values - Group (HRALX) , Sem abbr (PNUMB - 3, PROL - BUP003, and PSUBG - "the corresponding no range")
Now once i checkd the values I pulled the employee again from HR to CRM.
But the personel number is having the value 0.
Please provide any inputs.
Thank you Easwar for the reply we solved the prob by removing the locks in the table T77TR bcoz of which the Central person is not getting created in CRM.
SAP provided the following diagnosis.
Object type CP is locked by an entry in T77TR.
PA object types are locked completely by entering infotype 0000.
PD object types are locked completely by entering infotype 1000.
As object P is converted to object type CP in a CRM system you must not
have these transport locks in the CRM. The entries in T77TR prevent the
further processing of the Idoc in the CRM system. Thus no CPs exist
in tables HRP5580 - HRP5585 and as a result of this no changes are done
for any of the existing BPs - no P assigned to the BP.
So you should please remove these entries and test the system behaviour