cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCHEDULE MARGIN KEY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am unable to understand the opening periods & closing periods in the Schedule Margin key --> MRP2 view. Please explain with an example if possible.

regards,

Shanmugam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Thanks Vivek.

But I did not get enough clarity.Consider I create a PIR using MD61(material xxxx with quantity 2000 no.s) for the Month of January,next month.Today is 11.12.2009.So as per MD61 the material should be ready by 01.01.2010. Now if I use a SMK with Float after production as 2 days I should end the actual production process by 29.12.2009 (2 days before). If the inhouse production time is 10 days, then the process will start by 19.12.2009 (10 days before).

Again if the float before production is 5 days, the production process will start even on 14.12.2009 (5 days before). I suppose my understanding on SMK regarding floats is correct. Now after the MRP run, tell me if a planned order will be created (taking the above floats into consideration) with date 14.12.2009. Will I be able to convert the created planned order into production order before 14.12.2009 or on or after 14.12.2009 only.

Now what is the concept of Opening & release period in SMK. Will you explain taking the above example.

Also we mention the inhouse production time in MM01.But the inhouse production time will vary with quantity of the material xxxx. where is the quantity captured if the inhouse production time is 10 days as mentioned above.

regards,

Shanmugam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Working with your example, lets see how it works:

Given: Need date - 01.01.2010, Inhouse production time - 10 days, Float before production - 5 days, Float after production - 2 days

(assumptions: GR time - 0, Opening Period - 5 days, Release period - 1 days, 7 working days per week & no holidays)

Basic Finish Date - 01.01.2010

Scheduled Finish Date - 30.12.2009 (because Float after prodn is 2 days)

Scheduled Start Date - 28.12.2009 (because Float before production - 5 days)

Scheduled Release Date - 27.12.2009 (because Release period - 1 day)

Basic Start Date - 23.12.2009 (because Inhouse prod time - 10 days)

Opening Date - 18.12.2009 (because Opening period - 5 days)

Hope it clarifies your query.

Regards,

Vivek

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vivek and Kumar for the explanations.

regards,

Shanmugam

Former Member
0 Kudos

any explanations on opening /release periods of SMK pls.

regards,

Shanmugam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shanmugam,

Opening period - Opening period is notthing but, extra buffer time given to MRP controller for converting

Plan order to production order

Release Period - this is taken for both Purchase Req & Production orders

Regards

Madhu Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer SAP help:

A SMK contains - Opening period, Float before, Float after & Release period

Opening period - Number of workdays subtracted from the order start date to determine the creation date.

Use - The opening period can be used by the MRP controller as an extra time buffer. The opening period is only used in backward scheduling.

Float before - The number of working days between the order start date and the scheduled start date; used as a float in production scheduling.

Float After - The number of working days used as a float for scheduling between the order due date and the scheduled finish date. The safety margin after production is used for compensating malfunctions within the order production.

Release Period - Number of working days in the release period of this order.

Also refer to this thread for an example -

http://www.sap-img.com/production/schedule-margin-key-in-production-scheduling.htm

If the above does not clarify your query do revert

Regards,

Vivek