Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UWL refresh on page load

mark_taylor3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

It seems this question has been asked a number of times in a number of ways in the past but to my knowlege has not had a response that denies it's possible or provides a solution.

The biggest source of frustration for our ESS/MSS users in our implementation is that UWL does not get rid of worklist items that have been processed. Our user community do not find it acceptable to click refresh to force a reload of the cache from the back end when the uwl is returned to after processing a leave request approval. What they would like is for the page to do that when loading. We are aware of delta pull and cache refresh settings but neither of these options are considered a solution by the users.

We have seen a UWL FAQ that states: Refreshing with Hidden iView

Add a hidden iView on the page that raises the refreshUwlBackend event. This is the same event that is triggered when users manually choose the Refresh function. If the user returns to the task list after a task has been completed, approved, or rejected in another window, the refresh is automatically done by the iView.

Our interpretation of this is that we create an iview on a par file that contains the code:

EPCM.raiseEvent("urn:com.sap.netweaver.bc.uwl.ui", "refreshUwlBackend");

This is added to the same Page that contains the UWL iview.

This seems to be the holy grail we are looking for but alas, our efforts to date have been in vain. It seems like the iviews load together and the refreshUwlBackend event fires before the event itself is available.

Any suggestions as to where we are going wrong or practical alternatives to the problem?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Yes this has been a real pain point for many people in the four years that I have worked with UWL. You will all be delighted to know that our development team have taken this on board and the solution is in 702 sp2 and also 720.

We have a new parameter called: Refresh Completed Items: when you set up the webflow connector.

Refresh Completed Items = real time refresh (flag ticked = true)

The backend system must have package:

SUWL_NOTIF

If the package is there, then you can use the real time refresh functionality on the Universal Worklist. If it is not there, then it is not supported.

I hope that this answers your question in regards to real time refresh and completed items leaving the Universal Worklist.

Beth Maben

EP - Senior Support Consultant

AGS Primary Support, Business Suite & Technology

• Please see the UWL Wiki @

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/bpx/uwl+faq ***

former_member207428
Participant
0 Kudos

Customers should be 'delighted' to hear about this new feature? Don't think so : once again an expensive upgrade (in this case EHP2 SP2) of their landscape. The only company that will be smiling about the 'news' of this new feature is SAP, not the customer.

If SAP could post a blog or how to on the hidden UWL refresh iView, could save a lot of people time and effort.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

Could you elaborate on 'the solution is in 702 sp2 and also 720.' We have been searching in Service Market Place, but we could not find any Netweaver component with the name of '702 sp2 or '720.'

Do you mean 'SAP EHP2 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0'?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beth / Mark,

I am also facing same problem.

Problem1:

We are integrating MDM iviews.

Approver has 2 steps:

1) Mark as approve / disapprove

2) Click on DONE

Between these steps we are stucked with 2 mins refresh time (min time which is confirmed with SAP).

Could not raise any event from MDM Result set Iview and still trying to find any workaround.

Problem2:

Apart from this, we have MDM Item detail iview, where record is saved after entering data.

This iview provides "Custom Event Button"

But we are not able to trigger custom event. We want to call UWL iview once record is saved.

We have to specify following parameters in Custom Event Tab:

Custom Event Name: ______

Event Type: EPCF POST SAVE EVENT (Cannot change, this is bydefault)

Target (URL or Event Name): http:/<portalURL>:<port>/irj/portal?NavigationTarget=PCD path of UWL iview)

Namespace: urn:com.sap.netweaver.bc.uwl.ui

Parameter Format: Standard

Last column is parameters but don't know what are the parameters to be specified.

Supporting Link used: Configuring Events on an Item Details iView

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm71/helpdata/en/45/c89e544c52570be10000000a114a6b/content.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm71/helpdata/en/45/c89e544c52570be10000000a114a6b/content.htm]

Could you pl guide me on resolving above 2 problems.

Regards,

Purav

Edited by: Purav Mehta on Dec 3, 2010 10:02 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes that would be correct. It is EHP 2 for 700 and also SP2 for the UWLJWF component.

Regards,

Beth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

Maybe you should mention the detail that EHP2 for NW 7.0 seems to be removed from the release schedule and that customers should wait for NW 7.3 to be released. Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Jan Laros

veneta_koleva
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear all,

the Real-time Refresh upon task completion feature is indeed available starting from SAP Enhancement Pack 2 for NetWeaver 7.00, SP02 and above, and also SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment (CE) 7.2 SP01 and above. Refer to SAP note 1330560 for NW7.00 EHP2 SP02 and also the release note for SAP NetWeaver CE 7.2 SP01.

Furthermore, a dedicated topic "Problems with Universal Worklist Real-time Refresh" has been added to the new UWL troubleshooting guide http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechTSG/UniversalWorklistTroubleshooting+Guide to help in resolving typical issues related to the functionality.

Refer to * http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechTSG/ProblemswithUniversalWorklistReal-time+Refresh *

Best regards,

Veneta Koleva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please give more details if this solution is working with Portal on 7.02 & backend R3 4.7 and where to find suwl_notif package for R3 4.7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

When working with Real time refresh you will need to have at least 702 Sp 2 & 720 Sp2 for the UWLJWF component. This is a general statement, mentioning that the UWLJWF version needs to be at least this in order for the Real time refresh to work. (so yes, the feature will also be available in 730 - to check version release information please see service.sap.com/pam).

Also, please note that it is recommended highly that the backend versions of R/3 are also on the same version as the portal/UWL.

I am not an expert in the backend R/3 but I do know that the backend system must contain package suwl_notif in SE80 in order for this functionality to work. More details can be found here as my colleague Veneta has stated:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechTSG/ProblemswithUniversalWorklistReal-time+Refresh *

Regards,

Beth Maben

EP - Senior Support Consultant II

AGS Primary Support, Business Suite & Technology

• Please see the UWL Wiki @

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/bpx/uwl+faq ***

kai_unewisse3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

any idea where i can get this package SUWL_NOTIF e.g. for R/3 4.7 or 6.0?

Regards,

Kai

kai_unewisse3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

any idea where i can get this package SUWL_NOTIF e.g. for R/3 4.7 or 6.0?

Regards,

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

As far as I am aware it comes in with the higher versions of the ABA/BASIS versions on the backend. It is a basis package contained in SE80. This is the reason why we are recommending also upgrading the backend aba/basis versions to the same as the portal, to ensure that RTR of completed items will work.

Regards,

Beth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

As far as I am aware it comes in with the higher versions of the ABA/BASIS versions on the backend. It is a basis package contained in SE80. This is the reason why we are recommending also upgrading the backend aba/basis versions to the same as the portal, to ensure that RTR of completed items will work.

Regards,

Beth

kai_unewisse3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Beth,

this confuses me : "upgrading the backend aba/basis versions to the same as the portal" .

ERP is currently on 6.0, Netweaver on 7.0 .

The portal version we are using is 7.0 EHP 2.

The backend version is ERP 6.0 EhP 4 with SAP_ABA/BASIS 701. We don't have this function found in SE80 .

Could you please elaborate what you mean by same version ? Is this maybe only available in ERP 6.0 EhP5 ?

Your collegue only states as "solution" : "Use an R/3 backend which supports Real-time Refresh to configure the feature in UWL." That is not helpful without a version number.

Regards,

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai,

Sorry, yes, let me clarify, the portal (at 702 sp2 higher, or 720 sp2 or higher (this is the minimum release from a UWL standpoint --> anything higher will work), should be used in conjunction with a backend for 702 sp2 or 720 sp2 or higher. However, I am not able to tell you why from a portal point of view which backend systems contain package suwl_notif in SE80. This to me means that the real time refresh will not work with a package <702 or <720 backend system. What I can do, however, is ensure that our development team is aware of this post, and the issues and concerns that are raised here.

I hope that this answers your question.

Regards,

Beth

mark_taylor3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

The info about the ground up rewrite in EHP2 was from a call raised with SAP. I guess the usual caveats apply.

We have tried the hidden iView but couldn't get a successful fire of the event using the trigger code. However attaching that code to a button on a seperate iview fired it okay. We figured it was something to do with how quickly and in what order the iviews get loaded on the page but couldn't get it working.

If you have any success let me know as we are still desperate for this!!

Thanks

mark_taylor3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Wow, good to see a renewed interest.

We did play around with periodic refresh times and although it worked it was never a satisfactory solution for the users. Their mantra was " I go into the service and I still see items I know I have dealt with which is wrong". They don't care about the architecture or priciples behind UWL, cacheing etc and neither should they. Unfortunately, the knock on the affect is that people lose confidence in the system if they percieve it to be giving false information.

Here's what we tried so far:

We incorporated the second iview that calls the subscribed event. We couldn't see this working and played around with isolation methods.

Change the second iview so the call was assigned to a button called refresh so we could check whether the code itself was correct. Clicking the button worked as we expected it to. Unfortunately it is not what we actually wanted as a solution.

We also added a line to the UWL code itself to call the event after it had subscribed. This, oddly enough, didn't work either.

We are by no means experienced portal programmers so we could be doing something fundamentally wrong.

It looks like we have the correct syntax as demonstarted by the button test and it looks like a case of timing although isolation modes did not appear to resolve this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi mark,

have you got this working..

i am struggling with same thing.. .

please suggest me what you have done (code snippets ) to achieve this or any work around .

Your help is appriciated.

Regards

pravesh

mark_taylor3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pravesh

Not solved yet. We logged it with SAP and the suggestion was to do something similar to what we had already tried with the raise event in hidden iview, but that didn't work for us.

However it would seem that this is one of the more frequently requested enhancements to the development teams and so this functionality should be included in EHP2 SP2 of Netweaver. We have stopped trying now and will wait for shipment

Thanks

Mark

Paras_AU
Participant
0 Kudos

Mark,

Could you share the code snippets you had used, specifically one's for the refresh button.... , please

Thanks in advance..

-paras

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

We have a Portal T&E application using ITS UI technology which also has the refresh issue. We're currently on EP 7.0 SP16 and NetWeaver 2004 SP16. You mentioned the fix should be in EHP2 SP2. Is it for sure ? For all UI technologies?

After reading all the treads, I wonder if it's worthy to try adding a hidden iView to trigger the refresh?!

Any inputs are appreciated.

Regards,

Rebecca

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I would actually add the hidden iview the page which will display the work item details on the new window.

and also i would also try the following assuming that your work items are displayed in new window,

The hidden iView based on the par file will have the following code,

window.onbeforeunload = refreshUWL;

function refreshUWL() {

EPCM.raiseEvent("urn:com.sap.netweaver.bc.uwl.ui", "refreshUwlBackend");

}

I have not tried this . But I will try when i have some time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

We also had this problem but we changed the page refresh rate to 2 minutes such that items get refreshed faster.

Perhaps yuo can give a try on this.

Regarding the code part, did you try placing the event in body load?

Warm Regards

S Chandra Mohan

jmoors
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Did you manage to resolve this issue? I guess the problem is due to the isolation mode of the iViews, I think UWL iView has to have an isolation mode of URL which displays in an iframe.

I need to implement the same behaviour and I'm hoping that if the hidden iView was embedded and checked the load event of the UWL iframe (to indicate the UWL had loaded), perhaps we could then fire the refreshUwlBackend event.

I'm going to prototype so I'll let you know how I get on....

Many thanks,

Jason