cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

initSID.ora file parameter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We using ECC 6.0 with Oracle 10.2.0.2 , we need to change the parameter db_cache_sie from 294 mb to 1 gb , So i edit the file and change the parameter . Then i restart the system . After restart the system i checked the parameter it will changed to 1gb . But today i just checked the parameter , it will show the old parameter 294 mb .

So kindly tell me what is happening and tell me the solution to change the parameter .

Regards

Selvan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Oracle 10g always use spfile for the purpose of maintaining database parameters .So you want to make any changes then first you need to create pfile from spfile because you cannot make changes directly in spfile as its not recommended by oracle.

So first change pfile from spfile by givind command create pfile from spfile via sql prompt .Then modify the parameter in pfile & again give command create spfile from pfile & restart your databse to make the changes effective.

Or the best solution to change the database parameter is to change via sql prompt prompt eg::

alter system set <parameter>=<value> scope=spfile

Thanks..

Mohit

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicky

Connected.

SQL> show parameter spfile;

NAME TYPE VALUE

-

-

-

spfile string E:\ORACLE\DEV\102\DATABASE\SPF

ILEDEV.ORA

SQL>

selvan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Selvan,

You can follow the below mentioned steps for changing the profile parameter.

1) SQL> create pfile='location' from spfile;

2) Edit newly created pfile

3) SQL> create spfile from pfile='location';

4) Restart the database

Also, for safety purpose, please take the backup of spfile before doing any changes.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

First you have to check whether you are using pfile or spfile

Send us the ooutput of below query from sql

sql>show parameter spfile;;

Regards

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Selvan,

First, you create a pfile from spfile and change the parameter value in newly created pfile. Then convert the edited pfile to spfile and start the database.

Regards,

Ranjith