Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

:D The Joker Challenge

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>UPDATED: Date extended to 10th October!</b>

-

The last few weeks have been interesting. Twice, during discussions with customers (minor problem handling in OSS) we were told that they are going live with their own developed BSP application, rollout always to more than 10000 users! We only hear about this when an OSS problem ticket is opened. Seldom do we know about the projects being done with BSP. Real life "war" stories are always the best!

This afternoon, while watching the Three Musketeers with my daughter, Mark was penning the <a href="/people/mark.finnern/blog/2004/09/17/the-three-sdn-musketeers version</a> of this epic story. One thing led to another. Doing some back of the envelope calculations with the input <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/index.sdn?page=crp_prize2.htm">cool geeky prizes</a> and my position as <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/index.sdn?content=http://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/pcd!3aportal_content!2fSDN!2fiViews!2fcom.sap.sdn.folders.pointsrewardsystem!2fcom.sap.sdn.crp.iviews.topcontributors&contenttype=url">Top Contributors</a>, gave the output anything from an iPod up to a <b>HP iPAQ!</b>

Let us use this joker card!

In the next week I will work very hard to answer questions in the BSP forum (and beg for points earned!). In addition, I will try to complete one more weblog (even although Thomas snagged my next topic!). With this, I am gunning to have one prize at the end of the week.

With this prize, I would like to sponsor the joker challenge. I am interested to know what people are doing with BSP. I am asking for people to write weblogs about the work they have done with BSP. <b>I will transfer my prize to the best weblog!</b> See rules below.

This means, that you can start today with zero points, write one weblog, and be catapulted right to the top prize (assuming I can hold the position one more week)! An HP iPAQ is winking.

The game is on!

regards, brian

<u><b>RULES</b></u> (To ensure a fair challenge!)

o) I am offering a prize which I do not yet have. I can not guarantee that I will get any prize, or which one. All I can say is that I will in this week work very hard to stay at the top. This will require that everyone in the forum take the time to review answered questions and assign the marks. However, the final risk is (unfortunately) with you.

o) <b>The deadline for submissions is the 10th of October</b> [updated!](we accept all weblogs with this date stamp). Yes, this is after the SDN competition close. If you wish to also earn marks with the SDN challenge, then the deadline is still upcoming Friday. Important is just that I earn points until this Friday to get the prize. Then you know what prize is up for grabs and have more time to write!

o) Speaking of writing, here is expectations (and the mininal requirements):

-- Must be written in English.

-- You must have permission from the company owning the BSP application to write the weblog

-- The title must be of the form "BSP In Action: ...". The "..." can be any sub-title of your choosing.

-- In the introduction section, the company must be explicitly named, including geographical data and a company logo. This is important so that we see that these are real world stories! (If this is not acceptable for your company, email me, and we can negotiate to remove this contraint!)

-- It must be a weblog of a minimum two A4 pages (when printed)

-- Very important: it must contain a minimum of three screenshots. Grey out any confidential information.

-- The text should give an high level overview of the problem (vaguely if confidential), should discussion some sizing numbers (number of users, number of BSPs, developers, application servers, etc). The most important section will be decisions taken section. Typical examples: "we used MVC, because..."; "we decided to go stateless as..."; "we did not use HTMLB, but our own HTML to achieve...."; "interesting aspects are the use of IGS, ...". If you were not a developer of the BSP application, we will accept as alternative a section describing in some detail the functionality of the application. Typical examples: "allows us to enter weekly data...", "give good statistic information..."; "have this nice feature ... that ....", etc.

-- Code samples are not required

-- We do not require a life demo or link.

o) Judging: Only weblogs with the title "BSP in Action: ..." dated between today and maximum 3rd October will be accepted. If you have difficulty to quickly get your weblog online, email me (name.surname@sap.com) a Word document in time to place it online for you. The actual winning decision will be made by three colleagues that are real BSP experts. I will not decide! In addition, any remarks on this thread (and this thread only) about any of these weblogs will also be included into making a final decision. So getting as many other people as possible to give favourable comments on your weblog in this thread is definitely going to help you! Please understand that I do not have the infrastructure to handle an online voting, etc. I trust in the opinion of my three colleagues and the noise here! The decision is final and not negotiable!

o) What/how will be judged: the size/importance of the project will play no role. The quality of the writing will not be judged. The most important criteria will be the detail of the information presented. The more you tell, with the more detail, the higher your chances are. Screenshots will also be weight heavily! Both positive and negative aspects will be weighted equally. We are interested in the true "war" stories, and can handle the heat in the kitchen. A happy end would be nice

o) Who can participate? Effectively anyone. What is <b>NOT</b> allowed, is to write about BSP applications developed at SAP. Also <b>NOT</b> acceptable are weblogs

about modifications to such SAP developed BSP apps. Accepted will be weblogs about any BSP applications developed done by or for customers. As author of the weblog, it is not required that you actually participated in the BSP developed. You can be an user of the application, a tester, someone that helped in the design, anyone! We are interested in the scope of the developments. What is also perfectly acceptable, is that (SAP) consultants write about BSP applications developed at/for customers (only with their express permission!). It is also quite acceptable that more than one person write about the same BSP development (just don't spoil the working atmosphere with your colleagues:). It would be nice if those people already on track to win a price not participate, but this is only asked and not explicitly prohibted.

o) What to do if I just stumbled into this forum and we have never before developed any BSP applications? For this, we will also accept all weblogs that write about development using other SAP technologies. For example applications developed in SAP Enterprise Portal, or using Web Dynpro for Java, or even acceptable is an application developed in SAPGUI. However, this must be an application developed at and for a customer, and not any SAP development! The above rules for judging still apply! Most important is that you still use the title format "BSP In Action: ...". We leave the "...." open for your imagination and will see how you bend it to fit:)

o) Finally, please accept that I have exactly this one prize (which I must still earn!) for the challenge. Unfortunately only one person can win. However, in the end everyone will win, as there is nothing more interesting than reading how other people tackled problems and made a success!

<b><i>So start writing today: given that at least three screenshots are required, it should not be difficult to fill at least two pages!</i></b>

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Brian,

is the Joker Challenge still alive? is there still room for BSP in action posts?

cheers,

Johannes

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Last night the Joker Challenge quietly came to an end. This morning I peeked into SDN and into my mailbox.

At a first glance, it does not seem that all that many weblogs made it into SDN. But looks can be slightly deceiving in this case. Officially three articles were published, over which I am very happy. In addition, I have received two additional descriptions by email, which can unfortunately not be shared. One text was rejected by the "owning" company (all top secret, I was not even told the name!). For one project, the consultant gave me a live demo, and then I could quickly help with some debugging. One or two were promised, but I suspect exchanged for a good holiday stateside (would have been my decision as well!). So, even if it has not been possible to share everything, I have definitely learned a lot about what is been done with BSP out there. Which makes me achieve my goals.

Three "BSP in Action" weblogs have been published. Each one has been excellent to read, and has shown the time and effort that was invested into both the BSP development, and the writing of these weblogs.

Thomas Jung opened the dance with <a href="/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2004/09/20/bsp-in-action-kimball-international">BSP in Action: Kimball International</a>. This was a very impressive piece of writing and especially that "will code ABAP for food" photo made me wonder whether it is time to learn Java. Gracefully, Thomas has declined to participate, as he had <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/sdn%20at%20sap%20teched%2004%20san%20diego%20_%20a%20new%20experience.article">already hauled away a 21" LCD flat-screen monitor</a>. The final <a href="/people/mark.finnern/blog/2004/10/06/well-deserved was given by Mark!

Days later, Stefan Riedel-Seifert followed this up with <a href="/people/stefan.riedel-seifert/blog/2004/09/23/bsp-in-action-mmmendresshauser">BSP in Action: MMM@Endress+Hauser</a>. And although we have known about this project for a long time, this was the first time that we have actually "seen" it. We spend hours ogling at the screenshots. A few emails later, and we were richer a number of bits and pieces of coding. We actually learned a thing or two! Hopefully soon, Stefan will write a new weblog, to show us a few more of his tips and tricks (handling of Excel!).

About the last entry, <a href="/people/ulli.hoffmann2/blog/2004/10/11/bsp-in-action-strategic-freight-procurement-with-basf-epilog">BSP in Action: Strategic Freight Procurement with BASF EPILOG</a>, which reached my mailbox last night, I was also very happy. We have known Ulli already a very long, probably since his and our first BSP days. As external consultant he has even worked a while for the BSP-team and certainly knows his stuff! (About that new 640 logon application he did, we must still write a weblog. It has many new features and should soon replace the old SYSTEM application as standard. Unfortunately only in 640.) The EPILOG project has everything in it that a good B2B application should have. Write once, save money every day.

I would not like to write to much about each weblog, more than to say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them. And I also hope that the rest of the forum did share the pleasure (even although comments have been rare?). Each of these three weblogs have shown beyond doubt that BSP is an enabling technology with which to develop industrial strength applications.

This morning I have requested the three judges to make the final call. At least, with Thomas already happy with his 21" screen, it reduced to only two excellent weblogs in the running. I am glad that I did not have to make the final call. And as was expected, it took hours of deliberation (hopefully they did not had to flip a coin:).

And the winner is: .....Stefan Riedel-Seifert!

A thorough interrogation of the judges showed that it was a close call. In the end, they were swayed by the "work of love" (their words). The E+H development was done using only hand-written HTML (started in 610 days before the HTMLB library), and really shows the BSP power to achieve pixel-perfect rendering!

To everyone that has participated, both in the weblogs published and the private ones received, I wish to say thank you! I have enjoyed these "war" stories to the maximum.

regards, brian

maximilian_schaufler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just wanted to drop that I enjoyed reading these weblogs as well - though I will have to re-read them as soon as I have some more time ...

I promised to write a blog about our application in development as well, but both business and private activities kept me more than busy, so I had to postpone plans on that - last thing I want is to produce something of second quality here.

Hope to get some writing done soon (whatever 'soon' may be).

Regards,

Max

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In another thread , Jennifer asks about people's opinion on REAL world writing. Is there any interest to read about this? This very much reflects the ideas behind the joker challenge as well!

Why not pop over, and give feedback! I suspect that this could start a totally new genre of weblogs in SDN!

regards, brian

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some people have asked my how difficult it is to write weblogs. Especially as they do not know very much HTML. Easy! Just follow <a href="/people/brian.mckellar/blog/2004/09/24/the-1-2-3-steps-to-producing-a-weblog">The 1-2-3 Steps To Producing a Weblog</a>.

In addition, for this challenge, if you are stuck, email me (name.surname@sap.com) a Word document and I will quickly do the HTML conversion.

Still 24H to hang onto slot #1. Things are looking good, but we do not know what other surprises are coming. So still today ask questions, and give points to answers. That iPAQ is close at hand as prize for this challenge!

brian

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<u><b>Status Update:</b></u>

The next BIA weblog is up from Stefan (whom we are trying to convince to do also a Excel weblog:) and contains some very nice screenshots. I have already spend an hour just enjoying it. Highly recommended reading: <a href="/people/stefan.riedel-seifert/blog/2004/09/23/bsp-in-action-mmmendresshauser">BSP in Action: MMM@Endress+Hauser</a>.

Also keep in mind that any comments on any of the BIA weblogs in this forum will be taken into consideration by the judges (I must not forget to tell them to read here!). Please write some nice words here!

In addition, I have received the following email from Mark:

<i>Hi SDN Webloggers,

As a small token of our appreciation we created a special t-shirt, that although many people would like to have, only SDN Webloggers are getting.

It's a black t-shirt where in white letters "I am blogging this on SDN" is written on the front and the SAP Developer Network URL on the back. Very cool.

If you have written just one Weblog in the last two months you get one. (If not, just write one.)

Let us know how you like it, Mark.</i>

So every BIA weblogger will we rewarded with a T-shirt! If you insist, I can even sign it for you Which will immediately increase its value way beyond any gadget on Mark's list!

bye, brian

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please keep in mind that SDN has a limitation of 600px by 400px on pictures for any weblog. So when you make screenshots, paste them quickly into a bitmap editor and just delete parts that are not critical. I would recommend to not scale the picture, as then more detailed is lost. Rather make the browser window smaller before screenshots, or cut of non-interesting parts in the editor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Brian,

did you read that text ?

Do I get the ipaq ?

Milan.

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm...I did append before that I ahve the text in the queue to read. If you wish me to fly through it, then yes. Real reading takes time, and I wish to invest the hour. Last night it was not there. (My family have first claim on my time.) So tonight we look again.

As for the challenge, you will then have to publish it! Your text is still missing the pictures and the judges must decide. And for this, the rules do apply!

48 hours to go, and at the moment I am holding the lead. Although I must admit work is pressing this week, so my extra weblog might not make it. We need that iPAQ as prize

bye, brian

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<u><b>Small Status Update:</b></u>

(1) A number of people have "complained" that they require a little more time to register as weblogger, to get permission from their company to write, and to write (make the screenshots:). So I will extend the deadline to 10th October. I would very much like to have this completed before TechEd in Munich.

(2) The three judges have been selected, and have committed to make the final decision. We keep the names secret for the moment, to ensure that they are not bombarded with chocolates I myself will not participate here.

(3) Already we have the icebreaker entry from Thomas, which I have thoroughly enjoyed to read. A second one is completed from SRS and should be online in about 24 hours. It really breaks the 2 page minimum using extensive screenshots. Nice to see what was done. I have received some emails, so we can expect to see a few more. One especially interesting one could be about BSP&BW! Let us see. Now we still have to convince Max and Milan to write:)

(4) A number of people have asked how I write my weblogs. I will try to complete this description within next 24H (failed last night) and publish it. This includes the ABAP program I use to extract simple HTML from a Word document published as web page. If any one feels stressed for time, write the weblog in a word document, and email it to me. I can then do the conversion to HTML quickly.

(5) Keep in mind that it takes about 24H to register as weblogger. So consider registering now already to have everything in place.

brian

maximilian_schaufler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm still waiting for any answer on my weblogger application - anyone responsible for it to read this (Mark?) please give me an update on how long it will take or what else I should do ...

I plan to start writing tomorrow, still not sure whether it will turn out in 1 or 2 weblogs. First I considered including the part about creating your own theme into the Challenge-Blog, but that might fit better as a separate one. Time will tell ...

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I discussed this process with Mark last night. He usually answers very fast. It seems that sometimes something is dropped. Just apply again! Effectively all your data is still there, you must just press the submit button again. In a few hours you will be approved! We do not want anything to stand in the way of your first weblog!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

can I make on request for the blogs, quite often they will not print Portrait, is it possible they can be formatted before being made available so that they will print Portrait.

Thanks very much for the effort and sorry for nit picking question.

Milan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok,

there is a way, select the article and paste it into word and then print it.

Thanks and sorry for the interuption.

Milan.

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hallo Milan,

> there is a way, select the article and paste it into

> word and then print it.

Exactly what I did to just ensure that Thomas did write more than two pages

> Thanks and sorry for the interuption.

No, actually we have been waiting days for you. Have been wondering whether you did not feel like writing as well? Curious minds are always interested to see what people are doing. Of course, you can grey out all those things we should not see:) If you are interested, we would definitely like to read about it!

bye, brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

I am not sure how much I can say publicly about the apps which I am working on.

But to try to be constructive within these constraints, I sent you an email privately with a description of the first application which you may use as inspiration for articles on other creative ways BSP's can be used within a business - and it was more than 2 pages

Let me know if you didn't get the email.

Thanks,

Milan.

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hallo Milan,

Yes I received the email and flew through the text. Very interesting. But such work deserves to be read in detail. So I always wait for a quiet hour (which should come up tonight!) to read the text in detail, and understand the more subtle points. Text that takes time to write, deserves time to be really read! I will answer you soon.

In terms of publishing it, I would recommend that you consider it! There are two constraints: (1) that you have permission from the company you work for and (2) that you mention the company.

Point (1) is just to protect everyone from corporate laywers. This is standard business practice and must be done.

Point (2) is only for my curiosity. As I wrote before in a previous append, I do not insist, and understand that many companies do not want to publish this information. Just strip all company information, and use a bitmap editor to paint out critical regions on screen.

I have now already had a few requests on this aspect, and wish to again state: if even in doubt, just strip the texts of all company relevant information. From my perspective, it will not reduce the quality of your text.

You should consider to write :). You text is interesting to read, and would in my opinion also interest other people. My detailed comments (and note of appreciation!) will be emailed as soon as I have completed a second read over.

bye, brian

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Although I will pass on being eligable for the prize, I just can't turn my back on a challenge. I have started the ball rolling by posting the description of one of my company's applications. I hope this is the first of many posting from other members of this forum.

This is kind of like a middle-school dance where all the boys stand on one side of the room and all the girls stand on the other. Somebody has to be the first to cross the room and ask someone to dance. (incidently I was NEVER that person). So the pressure is off, let the Weblogs fly!

/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2004/09/20/bsp-in-action-kimball-international

Former Member
0 Kudos

More than anything else I could probably take this chance to thanku guys for the great work!

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hallo Thomas,

Many thanks for breaking the ice! (Unfortunately I never really learned to dance well. Something to catchup with when the kids leave the nest!)

Your weblog contains everyone one could wish for. A very nice overview of the goals you aimed for, and even more interesting the technologies you used. The BTF editor is really a very impressive development. Something that I should use more often aswell! I like the way you used different technologies to achieve your goals: IGS, HTML content in emails, TRex (upcoming) and your own ICF service are just a few things that immediately caught my eye.

Exactly this way that different technologies were used together to build solutions, is very interesting to read about. And I hope that this will also interest many other people. But even if the solutions are limited to only BSP, the other interesting aspect is the actual use BSP in your environment. You very well described the why, how, etc.

With this entry, you have definitely opened the dance floor! I hope that others will join you!

bye, brian

maximilian_schaufler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have been planning to write a summary about our development project for a while, also thought of doing it through a weblog - looks like this challenge may speed things up a bit

Although I'm not sure I will find enough time within the next 10 days (application is still in late development phase), I will sure try to get at least a few steps of it structured and documented. So even if I do not make the deadline at least I made a good start for finishing it sometime.

Cheers,

Max

(who is expecting a reply to his blogger registration any day now)

former_member181879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Max,

Definitely, if you have the time, write about what you are doing or planning to do. This is 100% acceptable.

Deadline: I was not sure on the weekend when I set the date, whether it is not to fast. If anybody else has the wish for a few more days, let us discuss a small extension of the deadline. But then in fairness, we should decide about that until now Friday.

In addition, I received two requests about the restriction on mentioning company information. As I wrote before, this is not a final KO criteria. The information is only for my personal curiosity. If you do not wish to mention it, it is fine. Just write me a short email to know this. (Already from the email address I can usually find the information I wish to know:). This information is not used any further.

> who is expecting a reply to his blogger

> registration any day now

Hmmm... Did not know that this is not instantaneous. If not, you can email to put up the weblog for you (or at least forward it to the three "judges").

bye, brian