cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many open files in Solaris 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I had an open files issue and updated the no of files descriptors with the following command(Solaris 10 running on SPARC)

projmod -s -K 'process.max-file-descriptor=(basic,8192,deny)' PROJECTNAME

i wanted to check is there any way to know if the new no of files has come into effect and is it also possible to check how many files are currently open, just to make sure i am not reaching the limits

Thank you

Jonu Joy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That message is not only referring to actual "files" but more descriptors, means, every network connection also uses a descriptor.

you can use "lsof" to find out how many are used.

That parameter is an upper limit, you can increase it even more without harming the system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus

I basically also wanted to check if the new value which i provided for open files(8192) has come into effect as when i check with

pfiles -F pid

Current rlimit: 4096 file descriptors

i still see the current limit as 4096

thank you

Jonu Joy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shell limits also come into account here. If you logon with the user running the program with the ID <pid>, what are your shell limits there?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its Solaris 10 , so its basically projects(SAP Note 724713 parameter settings for Solaris 10 ) which control these now thats why i had a projmod command to update the limits

projmod -s -K 'process.max-file-descriptor=(basic,8192,deny)' PROJECTNAME

thank you

Jonu Joy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> projmod -s -K 'process.max-file-descriptor=(basic,8192,deny)' PROJECTNAME

Yes, those are system wide limits. Still the shells have their own limits.

In case of csh/tcsh use "limits" command, in case of ksh/bash/zsh use "ulimit -a" to check the limits.

Markus