cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Characteristics - filtering on long text values

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm running into some trouble trying to filter on the text description of a characteristic using BEx Analyzer 3.5.

We have a characteristic called 0Street_cod, that is comprised of StreetCode, and the text description that goes along with it. I set up a variable in BEx that would allow people to filter on the Street characteristic when they run the query. At first when we entered in a value such as 'S 84th St' we didn't get any results, but I found this is because it was looking for a value for the street code, not the street name.

I recreated the variable and on the General Information screen I changed the Characteristic dropdown from the 'street code' to 'street'. Then when we executed the query and entered 'S 84th St', and then clicked the 'check' button, BEx appeared to validate the street successfully. However, when the query is run, it still says 'No data available'.

We also have a filter on the house number, and if I enter in a house number that I know exists on this street, I will get a result set that includes records with the street of 'S 84th St'. I have tried copying and pasting this value directly into my variable entry window, but then it still returns zero rows.

Any advice on how to successfully filter on the Long Description of a characteristics is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183777
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can use the drop down on the variable in selection screen to find street codes that match the desired description and select them. If you want to type in the value, it only matches the key value and not the description.

The only way to match on description is to have a characterisitic that holds the description.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We ended up making the text a navigation attribute, and we could then filter on the text.

Thanks for your responses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Do a listcube and check whether the data is getting displayed. If data is available in listcube, it should definitely appear in query as well.

or, remove the filter and execute the query with s84, if this works, then apply the filter. it might so happen that since you are restricting and there is no data based on the selection too.

Regards