cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step into SAP BO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I searched the forum but haven't find a consolidated replies for the beginners, for those who are already in SAP's particular module but would be interested in configuring SAP BO. Looking forward for the following answers:

1) Does someone have SAP BusinessObjects Architecture? 2) Does SAP BI is a must to implement SAP BO? 3) Does SAP BW is a must to implement SAP BO or can we directly connect SAP BO with SAPu2019s data tables? 4) What is the hardware requirement for SAP BO? i.e. Server configuration? 5) Do we need to have SAP BO Landscape like in case of SAP (DEV QAS PRD) or we can have a single server? 6) What is the best first step to implement SAP BO? i.e. Should we first configure SAP BW or should we directly install SAP BO and connect SAP Tables? 7) We have Oracle DB at backend of SAP, do we need Data Integrator? 8) Is the implementation involve a) creating info-cubes b) developing universe c) crystal reports d) Xcelsius? Can we skip step c? 9) I found Dashboard designer is not available with SAP BO Edge. Do we need to purchase it separately or should we go with SAP BI Edge? Or is there some other bundled package available? 10) What are the pre-requisite for installing SAP BO if the priority is implementing Xcelsius? I found that we donu2019t need any but itu2019s better to first implement SAP BW and then directly use the Xcelsius product. Is it OK?

Looking forward for answers of so many basic questions but need to clear concepts. Might help newbies as well.

BR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

2) Does SAP BI is a must to implement SAP BO?

SAP BI is not mandatory

3) Does SAP BW is a must to implement SAP BO or can we directly connect SAP BO with SAPu2019s data tables?

We can connect to SAP R3 tables using the universe without SAP BW in between.

6) What is the best first step to implement SAP BO? i.e. Should we first configure SAP BW or should we directly install SAP BO and connect SAP Tables?

We can adopt any of the two ways. Even if you dont have SAP BW in place, you can still install BO and use the SAP R3 table data for BO reporting. And you can also use SAP BW and build queries and then use these queries in the universe.

😎 Is the implementation involve a) creating info-cubes b) developing universe c) crystal reports d) Xcelsius? Can we skip step c?

If you have SAP BW in place then the steps will be: 1. create infocubes 2. create query on top of infocube 3. build universe using this query and then choose the reporting tool which you need i.e Webi/Crystal Reports/Xcelsius

Asha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks you both for your suggestions.

I came up with the following scenarios. Would like to endorse my plan so we can start having installation

Scenario 1:
----
1) Install and Configure SAP BW
2) Create InfoCubes
3) Create Query
4) Create Universe
5) Install SAP Integration Toolkit
6) Install XCelsius 2008 for its representation
7) Install WebI
----

Scenario 2:
----
1) Install SAP BO Edge
2) Install Crystal Report 2008
3) Install XCelsius 2008
4) Install SAP Integration Toolkit
----

Is it right or I'm missing something in between aforementioned installations?

Secondly, I'm a bit confused over Installation of XCelsius 2008 and Crystal Report 2008. On Installing SAP BO Edge, we have XCelsius and Crystal Products, then why do we need to reinstall it?

In very short, for my objective, which is to create DASHBOARD, as a single developer and administrator, what products do I need to install in sequence? Can I go with the Scenario 1, to install every product on Server, and publish it through WebI

Thank you again!

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayab,

Let me first comment on your first scenario, the first 3 steps of scenario 1 is not that easy. Sure you can install busines content from SAP BW, but in real life, busines content only covers approx. 80% of your information, so you need to tweak the cubes and queries before they provide the correct information

In itself, configuring BW cubes and queries is a project on its own (I should know because I am a BW consultant).

The steps in scenario 2 are correct.

I had the same siutation like you, have CR and Xcelsius installed and afterwards I wanted to install BO edge. When installing BO Edge it was complaining that CR was already installed. So I had to uninstall CR, but BO Edge was not complaining about Xcelsius.

After installing BO Edge, I reinstalled CR and then the integration kit.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James for your valuable suggestion.

So, if my objective is to design DashBoard, and currently having only SAP ECC without BI/BW Implemented, I need to install the following in sequence.

1) Install SAP BusinessObject Edge Standard - Would be used for Central Repository only

2) Install Crystal Report 2008 - Have to Purchase Product - For creating reports which would be used by XCelsius to use information and display Dashboard. It is a replacement of SAP BW.

3) Install XCelsius 2008 - Have to Purchase Product. Would be used to Design DashBoard that would be published to Somewhere

4) SAP Integration Toolkit for bridging Crystal Report and SAP ECC Tables

Kindly check if the information, written after product name, is correct?

Thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayab,

answer question 1:

BO edge is more than CMS, when installed you also get the universe designer, QAAWS, webi, deski

answer question 2:

CR and Xcelsius is not a replacement of BW (=datawarehouse), at the most it is a replacement for the Bex and WAD (BW reporting tools). For reporting you can use the web (adhoc reporting)i, cr and xcelsius

answer question 3:

possible

answer question 4:

the integration kit is an interface and will do the job for you as described.

Furthermore, I read in you message that you are going to do something with purchasing. Have you already thought about using rapid marts? A rapid mart is a predefined logic (kinda busines content for BW) which you can deploy.

You can find more information on this link: http://help.sap.com/businessObject/product_guides/

hope this will help.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

As stated by you,

The steps in scenario 2 are correct.
I had the same siutation like you, have CR and Xcelsius installed and afterwards I wanted to install BO edge. When installing BO Edge it was complaining that CR was already installed. So I had to uninstall CR, but BO Edge was not complaining about Xcelsius.
After installing BO Edge, I reinstalled CR and then the integration kit.

After CR and XCelsius installations, why do you need installing BO Edge? Whats its benefit?

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayab,

see your post "deploying xcelsius"

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

The discussion/suggestions on XCelsius is available [here|http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8692900&#8692900]

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Nayab Siddiqui

SAP BO online course (Business Objects) is an organization software program organization,which specialize in company intelligence(BI).Business Objects was acquired in 2007 by German organization SAP AG.The organization declared more than 46,000 customers all across the world in its final results turnover release prior to being acquired by SAP.Its flagship service is Business Objects XI,with equipment that offer overall performance management,planning,tracking,query and analysis and organization important information management. FOR MORE >>SAP Business Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I'm also new with BO, just starting my first step in our intern project within our company.

It's about running hour-reports regarding employees, etc., for the top-management.

First of all I need to know, if it's possible to connect SAP-ERP (esp. the transaction CATS and ALL the tables behind) to SAP BO WITHOUT using BW (we do not have and won't get a liscence).

As a matter of fact, we do have the newest version of BO.

I already orderd some literature (for instance SAP NW BW & SAP BO; BI-Projects with SAP), but they actually do not answer my question, whether if it is possible to connect SAP ERP with BO and if yes, how to.

I would appreciate some help & knowledge from my consultant-colleagues

Thank you in anticipation!

Best,

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Does someone have SAP BusinessObjects Architecture?

We got good documentation in SAP Help site itself regarding total BO architecture and tools.

2) Does SAP BI is a must to implement SAP BO?

Not mandatory

3) Does SAP BW is a must to implement SAP BO or can we directly connect SAP BO with SAPu2019s data tables?

Yes we can directly connect to SAP R/3 or ECC tables with out SAP BW and if we can want to connect to BW than we should need to have BW setup and than BOBJ and than install SAP Integration tool kit.

4) What is the hardware requirement for SAP BO? i.e. Server configuration?

5) Do we need to have SAP BO Landscape like in case of SAP (DEV QAS PRD) or we can have a single server?

In my project I have BOBJ Dev,QA and PRD but I don't know who they are maintained on server level.It always good and recommand to have dev,QA,PRD and again it depends on the client how they want to handel it.

6) What is the best first step to implement SAP BO? i.e. Should we first configure SAP BW or should we directly install SAP BO and connect SAP Tables?

We will install SAP BW fisrt and than BOBJ tools and than Integrate them with SAP Ingeration Tool Kit.

Even if you want to connect SAP R/3 we need to have SAP Integration tool Kit setup first on top of SAP R/3 or ECC.

7) We have Oracle DB at backend of SAP, do we need Data Integrator?

Its not mandatory

😎 Is the implementation involve a) creating info-cubes b) developing universe c) crystal reports d) Xcelsius? Can we skip step c?

Your are combining to many things here.Generally Cube,query,Universe,Webi report OR Cube,Universe,Webi and I'm not sure of crystal reports

9) I found Dashboard designer is not available with SAP BO Edge. Do we need to purchase it separately or should we go with SAP BI Edge? Or is there some other bundled package available?

Not sure

10) What are the pre-requisite for installing SAP BO if the priority is implementing Xcelsius? I found that we donu2019t need any but itu2019s better to first implement SAP BW and then directly use the Xcelsius product. Is it OK?

Not sure.

Edited by: Jack on Jan 25, 2010 12:57 PM

Edited by: Jack on Jan 25, 2010 12:57 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your valuable answers. By your answers it seems

1) we must have SAP Ingeration Tool Kit before installing SAP BOBJ

2) Cube, Query,Universe would be maintained in SAP BOBJ if SAP BW is not available

3) Whats the better way? Either to implement BOBJ with BW is better OR directly accessing ECC Tables?

4) I'm a bit confused over SAP BO Edge, Is it client based, i.e. no Server is required for it and is implemented on clients PC or like SAP BO Enterprise, we should have its separate server?

Looking forward for the rest of the questions as well as follows

9) I found Dashboard designer is not available with SAP BO Edge. Do we need to purchase it separately or should we go with SAP BI Edge? Or is there some other bundled package available?

Not sure

10) What are the pre-requisite for installing SAP BO if the priority is implementing Xcelsius? I found that we donu2019t need any but itu2019s better to first implement SAP BW and then directly use the Xcelsius product. Is it OK?

Not sure.

Thanks !!!

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) we must have SAP Ingeration Tool Kit before installing SAP BOBJ

After installing BOBJ than Tool kit comes into picture.

2) Cube, Query,Universe would be maintained in SAP BOBJ if SAP BW is not available

Cubes ,Bex queries are always maintained in SAP BW side and Universe is maintaines in BOBJ side.

SAP BW is not avaliable than there is no concept of cubes or SAP BW queries

3) Whats the better way? Either to implement BOBJ with BW is better OR directly accessing ECC Tables?

It depends on the client requirement.Does your company is already having BW and ECC than tool kit will help you to bring data from ECC and BW

4) I'm a bit confused over SAP BO Edge, Is it client based, i.e. no Server is required for it and is implemented on clients PC or like SAP BO Enterprise, we should have its separate server?

Not sure

Looking forward for the rest of the questions as well as follows

Not sure

Not sure.