9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 8:00 PM by Stephen Sun RSS

Cant end db2bp or running backup

Olaf Balzer
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

since two days we´ve an running backup without any work. Zero bytes are backed up at the momtent. The system crashed after the backup was started scheduled.

For the moment we cant force the application we cant kill -9 the running process and the application is in state "request interupted".

Regards

Olaf

• Re: Cant end db2bp or running backup
    Paul Power

Hello Olaf,

If a db2 process cannot be killed by kill -9, then it means that the process is hung in the os level and OS support needs to find the root cause and fix the problem. Are there any entries in the operating system logs from the time of the crash just after the backup had started?

regards,

Paul

Olaf Balzer

Hi Paul,

I´m not sure whether this is os relevant. When I kill -9 the processes db2bp they come back after five secounds or so.  All my tablespaces are in state 0x0800 so how can I set the state to normal. With the switch command to one tablespace nothing was changed.

Regards

Olaf

Bhavik G. Shroff

Hi,

db2bp is a one kind of background process for the DB2 CLP (DB2 Command Line Processor). It is the process which actually connects to the database. DB2 CLP allows OS as well as DB2 commands/statements, this background process is required.

Please refer this useful link to get more information [about DB2 UDB Processes|http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/0304chong/0304chong.html].

db2med and db2bm processes will play an important role while Backup operation in progress.

If your SAP System is started/running and you are able to access SAP System, you can check the running Background Job of Backup (starting from DBA*), If you have scheduled it using DB13. Cancel active Background Job from SM37.

If still that background job is running and if it is visible in SM50, you can cancel it by choosing "Process-> Cancel without Core" for the selected Background Job. If still its not canceled, You can cancel it from OS level, by getting valid Process ID details from SM50.

As final way, If your SAP Instance is not started/running, then you can execute db2stop and then db2start to restart the db2 instance on the host.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Actions