cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of HR Knowledge for ESS/MSS Portal Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

ESS/MSS Gurus,

I am a portal consutant. I have done extensive WebDynpro development, Portal configuration, KM, WPC, but all on BI related applications. So from a EP deveopment perspective I am very experienced. As for any portal consultant ESS/MSS is core and I want to start learning about it.

My question is how much HR knowledge is required for an ESS/MSS portal consultant. Does a typical portal consultant work with HR PA* transactions and InfoTypes or you work with a HR Consultant to get the functional requirements. There is a lot of configuration that can/should be done in SPRO for setting up ESS.

There is lot of documentation in SDN. I dont want to become a HR functional consultant. I want to be a Portal ESS/MSS consultant.

I would really appreciate if any one can share as a portal ESS/MSS consultant what kind of HR transactons I need to be familiar with, What tables/Views. What kind of SPRO configuration is needed.

I understand the more you work with ESS/MSS the more HR functional knowledge is gained and that is always helpful.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Yes a HR consultant should be aware of all the customisation in the backend as you would be on portal

the best place to start is the guide which is available through link and help.sap.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks..I will start with the Guide in the link and SPRO Customization required for ESS & MSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddharth,

Hope you are doing well. I am an SAP E-recruiting functional consultant. I would like to know how to become ESS/MSS functional consultant.

What all do I need to know!

Please advise.

Regards,

Bharat

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi bharat ,

find the below documents for ESS MSS by Siddarth Rajora: -

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Portal consultant is more focussed on business packages and configuration of ivies no matter which component they

belong to, You dont have to worry about the finer details of the HR implementation, Although a little knowledge of the content of ESS and MSS business package will help, which you can get it from

http://help.sap.com/bp_hcmv1600/BBLibrary/Documentation/N06_BB_ConfigGuide_EN_US.doc

and releases notes from help.sap.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raju and Siddarth,

Thanks for your responses. They were very helpful.

I understand as you work more on ESS/MSS implementation even as a portal consultant you will gain the functional knowledge required in HR. It is always helpful to have functional knowledge of the application.

I am familiar with Home Page Area Framework, SPRO and NWDI Floor Plan Manager. But for example if user requires some new element to be added a HR screen (etc..Time Entry or Benefits .etc.) which requires a functional knowledge HR tables and function modules to be updated. Does a HR functional consultant provide the details. I am trying to find out in a typical ESS/MSS implmentation. Sure there will be exceptions.

Please let me know what woud be a good place to start the HCM functional knowledge for ESS/MSS implementation.

Thanks

Edited by: Ravi on Feb 15, 2010 8:08 PM

bharanidharan
Active Participant
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In projects, there are Portal consultants and ESS/MSS consultants. From my experience I noticed, it is wiser to have end to end knowledge to enable you to become successful ESS/MSS consultant. That might be the reason why SAP courses teaches bit of portal to HR functional consultant. I work end to end and always found this knowledge helps me and the projects I work in identifying and resolving any problems that we encounter whether in Portal or HR.

Being a portal consultant, it is always advisable to understand how to work on Home Page Framework within SPRO. You do not need to know PAxx transactions if you do not wish to as HR consultants will be at hand for most of the projects.

If you want to stick to Portal side only, then you need to know NWDI including track maintenance, importing ESS/MSS BPs including source code BPs. It is wiser to know how you can hide a field or change text on ESS/MSS from within Portal and Home Page framework configuration. Learn to know how to use PA20 transaction and how to read information on IT0105.

With the way current trends goes, the following are required:

1) Knowledge in SAP Portal Content Directory

2) SAP HR in particular PA, OM and TM as most of the implementations goes for these to start with

3) Home Page Framework

4) bit of ABAP/4 - going forward ESS/MSS apps will be WebDynpro for ABAP based in comparision to WebDynpro for Java apps.

I would rate ESS/MSS skill as Techno-functional merging both roles so it is always advisable some one to know Workflow, WebDynpro for Java & WD for ABAP in addition to above.

Hope the above helps.

Raju