cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move B1_SHR directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

My customer is having space isues on their server's C drive. They have asked us to arrange to move the B1_SHR directory to another drive on the server.

Has anyone done this before, and what are the implications or possible issues around doing this?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julie

I would think it should be OK. Make sure that when you change the location that the file locations (excel and BMP) in General Settings point to the correct //server/sharename

Good Luck with it. Please let us know if you come across any issues.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found note 1239019 which appears to tell me that any existing attachments will no longer be able to be found after a move, as the patch will be different? I'm not sure which version & PL this is relevant for, or if it is always relevant?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am afraid it is always relevant because the path had been hard coded to the historical documents.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If its a space issue then needed badly then its fine to move the B1_Share folder, I have tried this situation before and its working fine the purpose of this is for installation of Client and for convenience, after moving the B1_share to its new drive just share the folder again, if there is need for another installation just go to shared folder. In terms of issues, there is no issue so far, no problem at all, installation does not effect the settings of the your Server since this is purely deployment of the client setup.

Regards,

Clint

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Clint - did you have any issues with finding existing attachments, bitmaps & Excel docs which are currently saved in the B1SHR?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

At first issues occur like the path at as what you said, but you can change the path at anytime.

Regards,

Clint

Former Member
0 Kudos

What happens on upgrade? Does SAP create a new B1_SHR in the usual location, or does it look for one in other places?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven't tried the upgrade but in usual and common cases it will still install in the default directory where you installed your Server Tools in drive C. The same procedure will be done just move the B1_SHR directory.

Regards,

Clint

Former Member
0 Kudos

The top most issue would be: if they use this shared folder for all Clients' installations, you have to reinstall all clients to redirect to new folder. Only change OS setting and initial setting may not make that happen.

Thanks,

Gordon