17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2014 8:45 AM by Chandra Shekhar Agarwal RSS

ABAP Future in next coming years

Hari Om
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have 4 year experience in SAP ABAP/4. There are so many comments that ABAP have been obsolete in next few year's. This is true about it.

Then what will be the SAP ABAPer future.

If we can switch any other module, which one is best for ABAPer.

Note: - I have good knowledge of Functional also - SD / MM/ FICO / alongwith ABAP.

Plz help...

Edited by: @ABAP@ on Feb 16, 2010 7:28 PM

• Re: ABAP Future in next coming years
    Break Point

ABAP will remain the programming language, because SAP has complete control over the product.  That's why customer-facing things like ESS, etc. have been re-written from Java to ABAP Web Dynpro.  I think that at the moment, 8000 screens have been re-written to ABAP WebDynpro (of > 20,000, but not a one-to-one conversion as some tools are being redesigned).

NetWeaver 7.02 will contain the largest-ever set of enhancements to the ABAP language for a single release, including new keywords, a new compiler and a re-worked interface, web-dynpro-like apperance, string manipulation enhancements.

Who told you ABAP will be obsolete?  That's not what's in SAP's publications and demonstrates a serious lack of understanding of what's going on at SAP, IMHO.

Rudra Sonar

I have read many questions on ABAP is dead or what?

They point to ominous signs: they tells that all the new SAP programs are written in Java (not true), and they are concerned that the NetWeaver CE is an exclusively Java-based environment (true). The NetWeaver Developer Studio is also almost exclusively Java-based (also true).

But ABAP is not as dead as some might think, there are still more than 238,000,000 lines of ABAP code in SAP. ABAP is still entrenched in SAP, and SAP is still entrenched in ABAP.

ABAP is still making its presence felt: some of the new NetWeaver PI functionality was written in ABAP. You might not see it when you work with PI, but the ABAP is there underneath, keeping things humming along.

Thomas Jung of SAP Labs, who writes an outstanding developeru2019s blog on SDN, telling - some of the underlying NetWeaver functions were written in ABAP, and of course there is the Web Dynpro for ABAP. Jung also told that the ABAP Workbench is indeed part of NetWeaver, and is being equipped with many of the Java side of NetWeaver is receiving.

ABAP is still the part of the SAP.

So I think thats it on ABAP, that will be there always. No implementation is possible without ABAP.

So the ABAP is dead or not doesn't leads to answer "Yes" or "No".

But for now, we can safely say that ABAP is not going anywhere. Itu2019s also becoming clear that whether youu2019re an SAP ABAP person or an SAP Java person, if you donu2019t make a commitment to understanding the latest generation of modeling tools (CE, Visual Composer, Aris for NetWeaver, etc.), and how they fit into the emerging Enterprise Architecture, youu2019re going to be left behind.

(Refernce taken from many blogs, thanks for sharing important information. e.g blog.com, jonerp.com, sdn.sap.com)

Thanks and Regards,

Ravindra Sonar.

Edited by: ravisonar01 on May 8, 2010 11:58 AM

Edited by: ravisonar01 on May 8, 2010 12:01 PM

Vinod Vemuru

Hi,

Not sure if i can answer this question here!!!

Assuming that moderators will accept this, To some extent(May be 5-10 % i can say) it is true that SAP is slowly moving towards JAVA. But one thing definitely for sure is ABAP will still exist in core SAP programming at least for a decade or two.

If you are a good techno-functional person, my suggestion is to shift towards the functional role as business concepts will remain same irrespective of whatever software/language you use.

Even if ABAP is going to obsolete, it is only the Syntax that is going to be changed in the new language. Fundamental programming logic and concepts remains same

PS: You don't have to worry much at this point in time. Have a nice time in your career.

Thanks,

Vinod.

Otto Gold

My comment is a little of topic, but

Forum Points: 0

Seems a little weird to me. Looks like you have never helped a living soul, but still asking other people for help. You benefit from their work and experience and bringing nothing back. That is what I really DON´T LIKE!

Otto

Rudra Sonar

Hey Otto,

Indeed, you are true enough to be justified.

Anyway but somehow his (@abap@'s) forum thread attracted me because I read as -

"ABAP Feature in next coming years". ..... I just misinterprete "Feature" For "Future".

Thats why I went to read that thread Other wise I would have never.

But I got to know that there are people who are concerned about points and posts count and joined date as well while replying.

So I better be careful while posting any reply, to not to jeopardize my profile on sdn.

there is always something to learn if you think in that way ) right otto??

Thanks Otto.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravindra Sonar.

Arpit K Dewedi

Hey Otto / Sonar

This is not Give n Take.If you have something to give n want to give, just give it don't bother about others.

This is an public forum meant to help,if you don't,no one is forcing you.

Regards

Jai

Brad Bohn

This is not Give n Take.If you have something to give n want to give, just give it don't bother about others.

This is an public forum meant to help,if you don't,no one is forcing you.

I guess we can expect nothing from you then?

To the poster, About 10-11 years ago, at the time I was an independent contractor with 5 years of ABAP experience, there was the great announcement that SAP was moving toward Java, and the interpreted message was ABAPers needed to adapt or be found obsolete and out of a job.  I went through a Java certification process to make sure I was ready for any new requirements.  Guess what happened?  Not much relatively.  Java came and Java went (or is on the way out).  ABAP is here to stay...not that it couldn't use some help from other languages...

Sergi Arrufat Riembau

I worked for many years on both languages: ABAP and Java. My view is: ABAP is a u201Cbusiness languageu201D but not a general purpose language as Java. ABAP and Java are centered on different domains.

SAP has failed when try to use ABAP out of their natural domain:  SAP MI ABAP synchronization engine (2007).

I think actually SAP is shifting SAP PI to Java only stack because performance problems due to stacks (Java+ABAP) and competence as Oracle is using a Java only solution for EAI.

Thanks

Biman Ghosh

Well its 2014 and 4 years have already past from the moment this post was written. At this moment also SAP ABAP is going strong and from the looks of it, it pretty sure that its going to be the same from years to come.

Although it does vary from people to people and what they think.

convy sera

What is the future for ABAP. For people like me who are just 1 year into ABAP it is kinda scary when i see people coming out and speaking SAP HANA  SAP UI5 to take over the market in a year or two.

I request the experts here to convey as per their knowledge the way to go for budding ABAPER like me.

Another Query--

i have 1 year of experience in a support project in R3 and now i am into a ISU implementation and i have 1.5 months window to learn a new technology. Which should i go for:

Webdypro

Workflow

OR some functional in ISU like EDM , FICA etc (this i am not sure of as i do not have complete knowledge of ABAP as yet)

Actions