cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client deletion & reorganization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

we have 3 clients in sandbox server . i want to delete the client and how can i use the deleted Client space .

kindly suggest

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Please find below some copy pasted portion from SAP traning material ADM325 regarding client deletion.

" Deleting Clients

1. Log on to the client to be deleted.

2. Choose Tools u2192 Administration u2192 Administration u2192 Client Administration

u2192 Special Functions u2192 Delete Client.

3. You can also specify whether you want to delete the client from the client

administration (table T000).

4. Set up the parallel process parameters.

5. Start the deletion.

Note: In most databases, space that has become free is available only after a reorganization. "

Regards

Anindya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Dear all,

>

> we have 3 clients in sandbox server . i want to delete the client and how can i use the deleted Client space .

>

> kindly suggest

>

> Regards

Hi Markus,

Accept my apology. but If there is a requirement to re-use the freed space (As mentioned in bold). No re-organization needed.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Satheesh,

In case you do not want to re-use the freed space after client deletion you can go for reorganization.

Please refer to SAP note which dictates the same.

Note 35952 - Client deleted, space still filled in database

Regards,

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Reorganisation of your DB after a client delete only makes sence when it concerns a rather big client.

Output will be a smaller database size and faster backup, no performance improvement.

What we always do after a client delete is a full online rebuild of all database indexes.

This will improve performance and make extra space free in your DB, because a delete of records in your table does not impact your indexes.

The rest is already said in previous posts to this topic.

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wim,

We have made some clients copy/deletetion in the last month and now our performance is very poor. So a reorganization is needed, but if we could made what you have mentioned about the rebuild ...

Coould you please explain how to rebuild all the indexes?

Regards,

Ana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Indexes can be rebuild online via the ABAP program RSANAORA.

Select the option "Index".

Select the option "Alter Index Rebuild Online".

In Object fill in all your index names.

I always create the index list as follows:

Start tcode DB02OLD.

Use "Detailed analysis".

Object type : INDEX

Eventually also select the tablespace : PSAPSR3, PSAPSRUSR

Press ENTER

Afterwards download the list of indexes and sort them from smallest to largest.

After that you can copy the index names in the object field of program RSANAORA and run the program.

After the rebuild of the indexes you will see that index quality improves a lot, as well as overall DB performance.

After a client delete/copy where you modify a lot of data I also recommend you run a full DB statistics run.

Success.

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Win,

Thank you very much for your explanations. They are really good. I'm just testing the process in the quality environment.

We run the full statistics with DB13 every day.

So our next to-do is the db reorganization. I'd like to ask you for some advice. We are thinking about creating a new tablespace, for example, PSAPSR3_A, and reorganize with BRSPACE the tables of PSAPSR3 moving them to the new tablespace.

After the reorganization, we will reorganize again to the original tablespace, that will be deleted and created again in the meanwhile.

We will do the same with the other tablespaces PSAPSR3700.

The aim of this movement is to achieve less fragmentation from a physical/disk point of view. Do you think we are right? Is this the usual way? Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards,

Ana.

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Deletion of client would automatically free-up the space in tablespaces. No reorganization required.

you can check the same by just deleting one client and take the snapshot of all the % used spaces of tablespaces

before and after deletion.

The only thing which you may have to do is just execute the update stats from DB13 Calendar for all the tablespaces.

Cheers !!!

Ashish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Deletion of client would automatically free-up the space in tablespaces. No reorganization required.

It will free the space in the tablespaces, yes, but the files won't shrink. For that a reorganization is needed.

Markus