cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have BPC 7.0 NW SP7 installed on Win 2003 (64-bit) server.

I can launch and login to BPC Administration with no error, I can even create new dimensions.

But whenever I try to add a new application I am facing the error message :

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

All the BPC clients we installed get the same error.

Running the BPC Server diagnostics suggests everything is OK with the install except one issue: "Current usre name does not have permission for Administrators groups" despite the fact we granted all privileges to our BPC user.

Please advise how to overcome this "object reference..." issue.

Thanks,

Balazs Kovacs

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had a similar problem which we found was an authorisation issue. The users BPC_ADMIN and BPC_SYSADMIN needed SAP_ALL authorisation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks ATW for your kind response.

SAP_ALL role was already assigned to all the BPC tech users, so the problem is at somewhere else.

Meantime we started to reinstall the entire BPC MS infrastracture under 32-bit Windows Server environment, hoping the issue is related to the 64-bit version somehow. Will see it.

Have an additional question. When I logon to BPC admin and select "Appshell" appset should I see dimensions and applications by default? Only empty screens here.... however I can see plenty of active infoobjects under /CPMB/APSHELL infoarea in RSA1.

I can create new dimensions in BPC, and I can see them appearing in RSA1, so the connection is OK between .Net and BW servers.

former_member256391
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just to answer your secondary questions, yes, you should be able to see default applications when you log on to the APSHELL (planning and Rate come by default). Please check as these should be appearing in RSA1 as well under APSHELL infoarea.

Regarding the 64-bit version, this should not be a problem as the installation guide would tell you to install a piece of conversion software for 32 to 64 bit conversion. I remember our basis team installing something like this during the installation process. Please check with NW admin team for details.

Thanks,

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue resolved!

Thanks all for the contribution but the issue was more simple. The last step of BPC content activation (UJS_ACTIVATE_CONTENT / Data load into AppSet) dumped, but we failed to check the joblog.

I needed to delete manually all infoobjects from under BPC infoarea in order not to get errors during reactivation. "Delete AppSet" option of BPC content activation seems to delete the area only but not the infoobjects themselves.

Balazs

0 Kudos

Dear Balázs Kovács,

Can you share details?

I have also installed BPC 7.0 NW server.

I have done local installation on 64 bit windows 2003 server.

I am facing same problem.

When I check through server manager evrything ( .net etc) connection ok. But could not resolve connectivity issue with SAP.

I am getting no Sap Components found.

Please do the needful at earliest.

I have made entries in SAP table UJS... Defaults as hostname pc_sysadmin ....

Regards,

Shirish Patkar

094231 73009.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please confirm if you are able to login to bpc admin client.

while logging use the installation ID and and from connection wizard give your server IP.

note: if IIS port has been changed during post-installation then metion the newly assigned port also in below format:

IP:port

this should make you login in ADMIN client and then do the diagnosis...

Hope this help:)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Balázs,

I had that error for different situations:

Option 1. Try to hide the context panel when you refresh the report data;

Option 2. Disabled EPM in Excel;

Hope it helps

Raquel Oliveira

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balázs Kovács,

Not sure whether this would help you, but we had the similar issue here. For us the issue was due to lack of authorization to certain dimension members. This issue happend to some of our input templates. For example, the template was saved with Company code A, and when the user who only has authorization to Company code B opens the template, even if he/she tries to change the selection to company code B before refreshing the input template, the system issues an error.

We saved the input template to a default dimension member that everyone has access to, then the user can select the ones they are authorized to and refresh without an issu.

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I had the same issue at SAP BPC 10 Nw. We found two different errors that were solved.

a) we used "-" at tab name at spreadsheet: we changed the name.

b) The report has an error, example at EPMDimensionOverride command.

Best regards,

Ana Teresa

former_member182305
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Balázs Kovács,

Hi Im having the same problem you had but we have BPC 10 (EPM add - in for excel).

The weird thig is that the problem is just with my user, if i try to access to the client with other user it will open, any suggestion on what to do??

SEdelstein
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

HI Balazs -

Although there are several causes for this generic error message, the most common, in my experience, is the local cache requiring updating....

To refresh the local cache stored under your My Documents folder:

1. Logon to your BPC Excel Client

2. Go to: ETools >> Client Options >> Refresh Dimension Members.

3. Log off.

4. Log back in.

Regards,

Sheldon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sheldon for the quick response!

Unfortunately I can not even logon via BPC Office client as there is no Application to select. We just installed BPC and NEVER succeeded to build a single application due to the error mentioned. However I have refreshed the client side dimension files via BPC Administration also processed the dimensions. It did not help.

To describe the error more precise: When I click on the "Add new application" button I can prescribe the name and description of the new application, but after that when I click to the arrow to continue with the step2 (most likely to enter application type?), I get the " Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error, and the system refuses to continue with Step2.

I am a senior BW consultant, but have no MS .NET experience to cope with such issues on my own.

Any help highly appreciated,

Balazs