cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOE XI 3.1 Client Tools

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

During the BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 instllation ->Install Type, I selected:

"New" and "Install MySQL Database server". Also check the check-box "Enable server upon installation"

Then continue with the installation. Completed succesffully.

This also means I have installed all the client-tools (Web Intelligent, Desktop Intelligent etc) on the server.

Now if the user need to the access to Webi and create and publish the query into CMS, how do they actually access to the WEBI?

Do we need to install the WEBI again on each of their machine?

Edited by: lynn on Mar 10, 2010 2:17 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Web Intelligence can be access via InfoView. Menu New > Web Intelligence document

Ingo

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Yes, I aware of that option but not sure if this is the correct way (or only way) to deploy the WEBI to my users?

Reason why I ask because I saw the documentation (BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 Installation Guide for windows) mentioned about Client Tools Instllation (in chapter 10).

It says that we can install the client tools (WEBI, Desktop Intelligent etc) on each developer machine.

Can you please clarify/explain on this please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Hi

you have two options:

1) Use the web-based version of WebI. Your users will be able to create and view WebI reports using their internet browser.

2) Deploy the WebI richt client on the user's workstation. This stand-alone client tool allows you to develop and view WebI reports. You can then export the reports to the BOBJ repository and thus make them available for your report consumers, ho will use their browser to view the report (Option 1)

Regards,

Stratos

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

Thanks again for you explanation, that really make thing clear!!!

1) Use the web-based version of WebI. Your users will be able to create and view WebI reports using their internet browser.

If I am using this option, that's mean I dont have to install the Webi Rich Client on each users workstation as I have already install them on the BOE Server. All the user need to do is basically logon to BOE InfoView, then create and publish the Webi document on the BOBJ repository and the rest of the user can access them, correct?

2) Deploy the WebI richt client on the user's workstation. This stand-alone client tool allows you to develop and view WebI reports. You can then export the reports to the BOBJ repository and thus make them available for your report consumers, ho will use their browser to view the report (Option 1)

If I choose this option, I still install the Webi Rich Client form the BOE XI 3.1 (Server/client) software , but during the Install Type step, I choose Custom or Expand Install, correct?

Please advise, thank you,.

0 Kudos

1) Correct.

2) You can just download the client tool installation package for BOE XI 3.1 directly from SMP (http://service.sap.com/installations) and deploy this on the orkstations of your users. Normally you do this for your developers.

Regards,

Stratos

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I will try that.

In your opinion/from best pratice point of view, which option is better apprach to deploy and use the webi ?

Does both option provide the same functionality/purpose?

I would thought that option 1 is better becaue we dont have to deploy/intall the webi rich client one by one

and also less maintenance.

but your advice cout.

0 Kudos

The best practice depends on the use-case.

Normally most of the users will be happy with option 1 and for sure your admins would like to have less to do. But if you want that your users are able to create reports offline or report on local (ie residing on the user's workstation) excel sheets the WebI rich client is the tool of choice.

Keep in mind that the persons in your organization, who are supposed to create the universes, will probably need an installation of the client tools on their local workstations.

Regards,

Stratos

Answers (0)