5 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2010 7:53 PM by Vineeth Varghese RSS

RPN Value in FMEA

Raj Reddy
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

In FMEA the Risk Priority Number(RPN) is calculated by using folowing formula

RPN = Severity of the Effect X Probability of Occurence of the cause X Probability of the Detection

490 = 7 X 7 X 10

Now the problem is Probability of detection value is taking default as 10 even thought the valuation proposal is 8.where as Effect(7) and cause(7)values are taking from valuation which are correct .

Please anyone can guide me how to prevent default value considaration of detection.

Regards,

Raj

• Re: RPN Value in FMEA
    ram babu bharthepudi

Hey Raj,

If your question is still not answered-

For the RPN calculation - the values are maintained in the valuation profiles. For eg: You will have  valuation profile for probability of detection, occurence , severity etc. You can define your own valuation profiles in the config.The only bad thing about this new component is it shares the config with Audit Management - eventhough SAP mentioned we can define our own valuation profiles, for the probability of detection - the val.profile 8001 is hardcoded in the one of the valuation profile BADI's in the Audit Management component. We are waiting for the correction from SAP. This is just for your info.

If comes to your issue, for the best valuation system is proposing 10. To change this, go to QM - Quality Planning - FMEA - Lists - Valuation Specifications - select 8001 (probability of detection)-click on valuation - un check valuation proposal  for 10 - (un likely(<90%) ).

Now the system will not use the best valuation proposal, it means it wont allot 10 points for detection if no value was maintained. Same applicable to severity and occurence also.

Please get back to me if you need any additional help.

Thanks,

Ram

Raj Reddy

Hello Ram,

I am happy that I got atleast one reply for my question.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,

Raj

Vineeth Varghese

I am facing another issue, The Detection value which I am enetering against the Detection action is not coming in the basic screen where RPN is calculated.

Another doubt is, in system there is provision to enter Preventive action and it also got a valuation. First of all what is the use of valuation for Preventive action. How this will be used as RPN involves only SevOccDet.

The last doubt is RPN itself is not calculatig properly, only Severityd efault is getting displayed there.

Please let me know, if you all got any understanding on FMEA customizing.

Thanks

Vineeth Varghese

ram babu bharthepudi

Vineeth -

You can see the calculated RPN value of individual items of a Failure Mode (defect), at cause level, detection level and at the failure mode level. At the head level of the FMEA - in the result tab, the system will display the highest RPN value of all Failure modes. For example, in your FMEA you have 3 defects with RPN values 120, 280 and 400, at the header level 400 will be displayed once you click on valuate in the results tab, against this value system will do rating of FMEA based on your rating profile assigned and overall assessment. The same logic applicable to defect also. The defect can have multiple causes and detection action, but will have only one effect. As RPN is cause * detection * effect, it's calculated at individual casue level and the highest value is displayed at defect level.

The detection value you have entered in the detection will be visible at the casue basic data in detection and also at the defect level under relevant cause tab. What do you mean by  basic screen - are you refering to cause or defect basic screen?

Your next question - the preventive action is tied to the casue, cause is tied to the defect. As I said before, one defect can have multiple causes.The preventive action valuation is not considered for RPN but it will give you the prev.valuation based on the previuos cause valuation and you can set your target valuation. Preventive action is simiar to the mistake proofing activities in place in the standard manufacturing companies.

RPL will be calculated if you check the box valuation entered in the basic data of the cause and effect.And also couple of OSS notes are there, please apply them and see.If you give your valuation correctly and check valuation enetered, I dont think you will face issues in cal. RPN. Let me know if you need any additional help on this.

Thanks,

Ram

Vineeth Varghese

Thanks Ram,

I am not accessing system right now and have to test what you have mentioned in your reply. I will definetly get back to you incase of any doubts.

The second question is you told about some OSS notes, Is it necessary, if so what is the purpose and can you jus share those notes, if you already applied it in system.

Thanks

Vineeth Varghese

Actions