cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge modules for Crystal Reports 10.5.3700.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm bulding an Installshield distribution for a .NET app built in VS2008 that uses Crystal Reports 10.5.3700.0. Where do I find merge modules for this version of Crystal Reports?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See [this|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=56787567] wiki.

Also, you can search for downloads here:

http://service.sap.com/sap/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've already hunted software downloads and found squat. Your wiki page while very nice references no merge module for 10.5.3700.0...so is it safe to say there is none?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK. You are correct. there are no msm file(s) for CR 10.5 or CR 10.2. This was an MS requirement. Only MSIs were allowed in the bundled versions of CR. Apologies for the confusion...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a merge module for Crystal Reports 10.2. I have it, and your wiki page includes a link for download. This leads me to believe the absence of a 10.5 merge module isn't because of some directive from Microsoft...as much as that hurts to say. Is there a possibility SAP will create a merge module for CR 10.5?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right. I don't really want to argue the point there (not really sure why I should...)

That msm was created after .NET 2005 shipped. It was not part of the build or the orginal shipment / install. MS requirement... For CR 10.5, we simply chose not to go that path. You may want to consult with MS re their preference as concerns msi / msm...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pulling Microsoft into this thread is a red herring. Crystal Reports is your product as is the choice to create a merge module for CR 10.5. That the MSM is built after VS ships is irrelevant. There are MSMs before and after 10.5. Just look at your own wiki page.

The point is: distribution of my app is now dependent on two installations. I can't package my app and CR 10.5 into one file, which is what I've done for the past ten years. I lose a degree of the professional distribution I've enjoyed up to this point and increase the support and configuration management on client servers.

The fact that a CR 10.5 MSI file exists means the files to make an MSM are ready and available. Somebody at SAP just needs to click the button and build the MSM. Hereu2019s hoping SAP does the right thing. Iu2019ve seen threads on other forums complain about this issue so I know Iu2019m not alone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This issue has become very problematic for our organization as well. I would like to see SAP resolve this by providing a merge module that we can use to distribute crystal reports version 10.5 with our application.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe you can let me know why msi files are not sufficient? Have you had a chance to look at the developer help file here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms225299.aspx

(VS 2008 -> Tools and Features -> Crystal Reports -> Deployment -> Deployment for Visual Studio)?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're finding the MSI is insufficient because of how it impacts logistics for upgrading client sites. In the past our clients have been used to installing one application to get everything they need to run our product. They now upgrade to the application built under Visual Studio 2008 and don't bother reading the upgrade guide, which instructs them to also install Crystal Reports. This increases the burden on our support department when users call in complaining of errors with the reporting feature of our product (because Crystal Reports is not installed).

I realize you are not responsibile for our clients not following an upgrade procedure but if Crystal Reports were to be included in our product's installation like it has in the past then we would not have to worry about this issue. Crystal Reports would be installed like it has in the past (automatically during the installation of our product) and we carry on like we always have.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Click [here|http://gery.vessere.com/2008/04/05/crystal-reports-in-visual-studio-2008-no-more-merge-modules/] for another blog that complains about the lack of merge modules for CR 10.5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an issue with crystaldecisions dll's for both 10.2 and 10.5 that are loaded on my computer using visual studio 10 upgrade from vs 2005 for vista. My dependencies are for the 10.5 version. My problem is that I canot uninstall the CR .net framework 2.0 from my system. I see from these threads that there is no merge of the dll's. Is there any solution to removing the 10.2 version from my computer. This has been hell because of these version problems. If this is a vista issue, who should I go to at microsoft. I never believed in the vista OS but I'm forced to use it.

thanks

Answers (0)