Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vim embedded into abap editor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any way to embed VIM into abap editor on windows.

I know that it is possible to embed Vim in linux version of SAP gui.

Any one has ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Haven't heard about this one, but since the idea sounded pretty good to me I tried to find any evidence in the web. However, at least I noticed that the Eclipse-VIM integration seems to be working now. So thanks for the posting and getting things rolling...

Not sure what you mean by linux version of SAPgui. Basically the only SAPgui version that exists for Linux is the Java GUI (assuming that we're not talking about trying to run the Windows SAPgui in Wine environment). I personally doubt that such a thing exists, but if you know any details, please share your knowledge or links...

VIM has a socket interface which allows in theory IDE's to attach (:help netbeans), but haven't heard that anything exists in the SAP world to utilize this. Maybe there's other ways, so let us hear what you know...

Thanks, harald

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Haven't heard about this one, but since the idea sounded pretty good to me I tried to find any evidence in the web. However, at least I noticed that the Eclipse-VIM integration seems to be working now. So thanks for the posting and getting things rolling...

Not sure what you mean by linux version of SAPgui. Basically the only SAPgui version that exists for Linux is the Java GUI (assuming that we're not talking about trying to run the Windows SAPgui in Wine environment). I personally doubt that such a thing exists, but if you know any details, please share your knowledge or links...

VIM has a socket interface which allows in theory IDE's to attach (:help netbeans), but haven't heard that anything exists in the SAP world to utilize this. Maybe there's other ways, so let us hear what you know...

Thanks, harald

0 Kudos

Maybe I mistook you

It should be the sap gui for Java. In the menu : utilities->more utilities -> local edit. you can fill in external editor like VIM.

You can refer to this site to see some details : http://blog.csdn.net/fangkailove/archive/2010/03/15/5381753.aspx

I do not find any english sites.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Ok, I got excited by the word embedding, which means to me that it's more than just a local editing, which simply transfers text contents after saving.

I'd expect the approach described in your link should work under Windows as well. Unfortunately my JavaGUI refuses cooperation at the moment (get some odd errors, running Windows 7 64bit - have to look into why it's not working), but I tested it with the normal SAPgui for Win32 and it works as expected. So I cannot comment on the JavaGUI under Windows, but as I said, I'd assume it should work the same as under Linux.

former_member548667
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This is a very old topic but maybe someone can still have interest.

I am using vrapper plugin for vim bindings in eclipse and Relative line numbers from eclipse marketplace for the last few years.

I would like to say they are pretty good. I recommend you to give a try.

http://vrapper.sourceforge.net/home/