Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP installation with Shared Oracle Home

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

This is regarding the installation procedure.

I want to install another SAP Database Host DB instance on the same mount point with different SID.

In cse of MSSQL we create named instance and no need to install anothe MSSQL software (RDBMS).

Here is my scenario..DB host XXXX here one Oracle RDBMS running with /oracle/SSS as Home Directory

In oratab i provide SSN as new SID and in oraInst.doc the oracle inventory location is /oracle/SSS/oraInventory..

Now the SAP inst is asking me to login as oraSSN and start the installtion of Oracle..should i do that if i want to use Oracel RDBMS of SSS

Regards

Ajay

Edited by: Ajay Sandal on Apr 1, 2010 4:12 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would create a new installation of Oracle. This way, if you ever need to upgrade only 1 Oracle database, you will be able to do so.

I usually avoid using a shred ORACLE_HOME for multiple instances.

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the approach you said is better ,but i am exploring if we can install SAP on Oracle which was already installed and now i am just creating a DB for that.

I am trying to do the installtion in this way but gettign error like

Assertion Failed:lsnrctl parameter dbHome should have a valid Oracle HOME in Phase Configure Oracle Server Network.

=====================

Pls suggest.

Regards

Ajay

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what you want is possible, I am sure of that, but you will hit problems like that one.

why do you really want to have only 1 ORACLE_HOME? Disk space is cheap nowadays.

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes ofcouse disk space is cheap,,but i was stuck in one of my demo installation usinng this approach...pls tell me how i can install one more SAP system in the same mount point for oracle...

Coming ot disk space...the issue is not the spacpe but we are using Oracle RAC i have to install multiple SAP systems in the same Oracel RAC and DBA is saying that creating multiplehomes will not be best for DBA perspective.

So i am checking whether we can usign the same oracle home and same RDBMS and create on more DB for SAP.

Regards

Ajay

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well,

beside the point, that note 105047 (Version 129) clearly states this configuration

as "not permitted" (point 41). You should be able to proceed, at that point,

after adjusting the environment of "orasid".

ORACLE_SID should point to the new DB, but ORACLE_HOME needs to

be adjusted to the existing location. I am not absolutely sure, what you

need to adjust for the listener configuration. That might depend on

the aspect, if sapinst has already created the *.ora files.

But I'd recommend not to go down that way.

Keep in mind, that the patching procedure will be diffrent from SAP standard configuration.

Volker

ajjunit84
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Volker

Note is quite helpful.

But i guess we can install a system in this way.I did the below changes:

1. Ona existing Oracel Mount point /oracle/SID1 i m installing another SAP system.

2.Modified the oratab the enty there is New SID2:/oracle/SID1/102_64

Iin oraINst.doc Inventory Loc=/oracle/SID1/orainventory

3.Changed some parameters for ORASID2 user in Database server like home etc

4,When installation is saying Login using orasid2 adn install oracle i am saying Ok--mens oracle is already install"

In the next phase this is the error is am getting

===========

CJS-00030 Assertion failed: lsnrctl: Parameter dbHome has to be a valid ORACLE_HOME.

ERROR 2010-04-05 14:23:43.615

CJSlibModule::writeError_impl()

MUT-03025 Caught ESAPinstException in Modulecall: lsnrctl: Parameter dbHome has to be a valid ORACLE_HOME..

ERROR 2010-04-05 14:23:43.750 [sixxcstepexecute.cpp:984]

FCO-00011 The step StartListener with step key |NW_Java_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_CreateDBandLoad|ind|ind|ind|ind|9|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_OraDBCheck|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_OraDBMain|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_OraDBStd|ind|ind|ind|ind|3|0|NW_OraClient|ind|ind|ind|ind|3|0|NW_OraNetworkSrv|ind|ind|ind|ind|1|0|StartListener was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step :Caught ESAPinstException in Modulecall: lsnrctl: Parameter dbHome has to be a valid ORACLE_HOME..).

WARNING 2010-04-05 14:23:43.804 [iaxxejshlp.cpp:150]

Could not get property IDs of the JavaScript object.

ERROR 2010-04-05 14:23:43.804 [iaxxejsctl.cpp:492]

FJS-00010 Could not get value for property .

====================

Few more observations

After this step i checked for /oracel/SID2 directory but there are only these files --102_64 startdb stopdb adn network configuration files under 102_64.

Regards

Ajay