cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting List of Users from BO Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As an administration requirement we have to extract list of users within our BO server. I looked upon the forum and found that we can use query builder for the purpose.

I used query builder and ran query " Select SI_NAME from CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS where SI_NAMEDUSER=1 AND SI_KIND='User' " to list down the users. No issues till this point, the query ran fine and gave list of users in the server but I couldn't find a way to take export of this list. Then I thought of creating a webi report on top of CMS database pulling column "dbo.CMS_Aliases6.Alias" into report but that shows some ids for all enterprise users.

Please let me know if there is any other method that I can implement to take export of user list from server. I know this can be achieved using SDK but I want to try it at last.

Thanks,

Chandra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prakash,

In current thread we were discussing on user's list extraction. So, I'd request to start a new thread for new issue. I have a script to achieve your requirement.

Regards,

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

I have some other requirment now

I have extracted the user list from BO out of them i wanted to delete some thousand of user, Can you tell me how i can Proceed with the request.

In case of any VB/SDK please share me the details so that i can Proceed with your help.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure Prakash,

I will share it with you soon.

Meanwhile could you try to run the same macro on BO Server box to avoid transport communication issue? Please move this excel file to BO Server and follow the same workflow to execure it.

It should work.

Regards,

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mahesh,

Thank you for your timing and valuable support.

I got the list of user with last login date and it's meet my requirements.

The issue i got earlier, that was because of CR install in my Servers.

I think, if CR is install then it breaking the Macro.

I have more more Doubts.

Do you know how to delete report instances from the System.

Actually, in our system we have Thousand of failed instances, so we need to delete them so i need any automated Procedure of same.

Thank you So much.

Regards,

Prakash

hans_segers
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You have to apply Instance Management. You can  do this by settings "Limits".

You can do that in the CMC at 3 levels :

1. Root Level : right click on the the root of Public Folders, go to Limits
  2. Public Folders : right click on a Public Folder, go to Limits
  3. Object : right click on a schedulable object (Web Intelligence, Crystal Reports, Publication, Program Object), go to limits

The setting at a lower level will overwrite the setting at a higher level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can go to Instance Manager from CMC, check for failed instances and delete all of them. This is kind of manual process. If you want to automate the process you can use SDK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

I wanted to Automated so that i can delete all the failed instances in one go, can you please tell me about SDK.

Can you please elaborate the same in steps, it will be help full for me.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Here is a little excel file with a bit of VBA code to extract from a CMS the complete list of user and the list of groups each user is member of. Quite useful when you need to check group membership.

1. Goto below link:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=89434

2. Scroll down and download an excel file namely "BOXI UserListV3.xls".
3. Open the file in MS Exel.
4. Enable Macro settings
5. Specify your CMS credentials and pull the data.

NOTE: BO Client tools needs to be installed on the machine where you are executing the macro, so it can communicate with CMS.

Regards,
Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Candra,

Thank you So much.

What do you mean by BO Client Tools installed in my system.

I have the CMS admin credential and URL, but what is BO Client tool that i require to install in my System.

Thank you in Adv.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If BusinessObjects product is installed on Windows Server platform, you can directly execute the macro on the BO server; however in case of Linux/UNIX deployment, we need to execute the script on our Windows XP or 7 machine.

In such cases, one of the BusinessObjects Client tools [like Crystal Reports 2008, Web Intelligence Rich Client, etc...] needs to be installed on your local machine, so macro can communicate with BO.

Otherwise macro would throw an error.

Regards,

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

I am getting below error.

Crystalenterprise115.sessionMgr.1--2147219433:Transport Error:

unknown error. 1000440

BO Product information that i am currently in.

Product: 12.1.0 © Copyright 2010 SAP AG

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash,

An other very important point is that the BO libs must be installed on the client where you launch the macro. Typically, you just need to install the client version of BO (with Designer, Desktop Intelligence) and theise lib are automatically installed.

Transport Error occure only when there is a communication issue. Make sure you are able to login to BO using any of the available client tool.

Also, you might face some issue with missing libraries. This macro contains reference of old libraries. To change that, you just need to go to Visual BAsic (Alt + F11) ; go to Tools/References and change the 11.5 librairies reference to 12 librairies reference.

It should work. I have used it many times. Please let me know if you need screenshots for more clarification.

Regards,

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

In our server Crystal is already installed.

And i have checked 12 libraries in references. but still getting same error.

Can you please share the screen shot with me.

EmailID:- prakashsinghoec@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please before asking mention which version of BO are you using.. if i am not wrong you must be using XI R2 am I right ?

If you are using 3.1 you can easily use Query Results in CMC to check this out and export in .csv format

Edited by: Ravi Pai on May 13, 2010 11:35 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi for your prompt response .

I am using version 3.1 sp2. As suggested by you I tried looking to create query under 'Query Result' but couldn't create any such query that can bring user list. I might be missing something here as I am new to 'QueryRresult'.

Pls let me know the right way of creating the desired query so that I can get the user list.

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got the query now. I choose "Everone" in first section i.e. "Query Principal",in second section I selected "Don Not Quey by permission" and in last section i.e. "Query Context" I choose "Users" and this way I got the whole list of users including administrator and guest.

But, now when I am trying to take export of this output nothing is happening . It is not asking me any folder to store csv file.

Does it store the exported file to some default location??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

After clicking the Export .

1.Go folders>administration tools folder

2.Right click on Administrator tools >Security query export >

3.Click on History

4 In the History tab ,you will see the program Object schedule(See screen shot2)

5.Now clicking on the Instance Time link will open a .txt file and shows you the rights

6. while saveing this file save as in CSV format.

If you want to see only users after saveing the csv , Just apply the filter on Rights collections check only system . It will dis play only the users.

Useing Query Builder also We can do

After Genrated the Report go to file and save as html in your local .

Select the HTML Page and Right click Open with Excel . The report will open in excel .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargav,

I am able to take excel output of user list by opening hlml file in excel (the second option that you had suggested).

Though it serve my purpose, still I am curious to know about the "Query result" option.

I could not find "Security query export" on right click on "Administrator Tools" folder. The only files that are present there are "Update Window AD Group Graph" and "Update Window AD Group Graph and Aliases". There is no other file available under the folder.

Would really appreciate if somebody help me to explore this option as well.

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Chandra,

you can find the admistration tools folder under the All folders. in side that folder you can see the Security Query Export Program object. Right click on that object see the History .

May be you deteled that object it comes with the bo Istalation. if you have anther environment please checkit there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargav,

Thank you once again for the reply.

I found that program in one of our environment and successfully extracted the user list.

-Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargava,

Thank you So much for sharing your idea, it is really helpful for us.

can i extract user list along with Last updated date values.

Purpose:- I wanted to have all the user they haven't updated any thing in last 1 Year.

Thank you So much.

Prakash