Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Printer Configuration

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We have printer model Xerox WorkCentre 7228 and i have to configure it as network printer.

I have the name of the printer and its IP address.

I have 2 questions?

1. We have SAP installed over HP-UX, so do i have to install unix driver for that network printer?

2. The printer model Xerox WorkCentre 7228 is not listed in the Device types in SPAD,

I checked the manufactiurer's website and they are providing device types for SAP R/3.

How do i proceed, i mean download the device types, and then how to make that info available in SAP?

Please help.

Thanks

Nanda

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See SAP Note 1103826 - Printer is missing in the Device Type Selection Wizard and SAP Note 1036961 - Device type selection wizard in transaction SPAD.

I checked the manufactiurer's website and they are providing device types for SAP R/3

You could use frontend printing if you have no native support for the printer or device type. Since you do and this is a network printer I would use access method 'U' with the destination host being the actual printer hostname/ip address. Apply the new device type as per notes.

Nelis

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nanda,

The printer can be configured using one of the following types.

1) Using SAP protocal

In this type of configuration, you need to install the network printer on a windows server where you have the SAPSprint installed. For these type of the printer select the Access method 'S'. Give the host printer name as the same name that you have given in the windows server.

2) Using third party Print setup

In this you have to choose the Access method as 'E'. But in your case, it involves complete set up of the external Output management system like HPOMS, Columbus OM etc...Give the host printer name as the same name that you have given in the External Output Management system.

3) Printers set up on the server.

In this type you need to choose the Accessmethod as 'L'. You need to contact the HP-UX team to configure the printer on the server on which your SAP runs. Give the host printer name as the same name that you have given in the HP-UX server.

4) Printing using LOCL.

In this type of the printer you need to choose device type SWIN and the Accessmethod as F. In this case you need to choose the host printer as __DEFAULT( 2 times Underscore ). This will print on the default printer of windows system of the user who ever is printing on that.

For the Device Type, even we have setup a printer using POST2 device type and is working fine.

Please go through the below notes.

Note 8928 - List of supported printers/device types.

You can find some other notes specific to Xerox Model.

For device type installation we should have that object present in our system.

SPAD-> Utilities -> Import device type ->

In screen select device type radio button, and mode as import

Give location of that object and execute.

You will have to select that object again by browsing it then give it as local object.

Thanks,

Nick S

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for all ur reply guys!

I cant configure the front end printer, because the printer is located in a different building.

I downloaded the device type bundle from the xerox website.

But it did not have the .pri file for the printer model(7228) i am looking for, instead i found 7245.

My questions are :

1.Since 7228 is one among the models WorkCentre 7245/7235/7228 , wil it print if i load the .pri file 7245 and configure ZPC7245: XeroxWC7245PCDupplexV34 as device type?

2.Also currently the print server is on windows, is it necessary to configure the printer with my unix operating system and then configure in SPAD?

Please clarify

Thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can still use the method suggested in my previous post...

Just use the device type ZPC7245: XeroxWC7245PCDupplexV34 instead of "SWIN", if you have .pri file as you said which is close to your pinter model.

2.Also currently the print server is on windows, is it necessary to configure the printer with my unix operating system and then configure in SPAD?

With the above method (suggested in previous post) you don't need to configure the printer with unix system. Just configure it in SPAD...

Please note:

If you use Access Method "G: Front End Printing with Control Tech." and Host Printer "_DEFAULT", it will pop up printer selection dailog box on users computers where they can select locally installed printer for printing.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for ur immediate reply.

SAP is on Unix, Print server is on windows server

Now, which access meethod should i use?

S - windows remote printing? (or)

U - Unix remote printing?

Please clarify

Thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Now, which access meethod should i use?

S - windows remote printing? (or)

U - Unix remote printing?

Make me little bit confused...

Are you talking about S - Print using SAP Protocol and U - Print using Berkley Protocol ?

As I already mentioned use Access method "G".

Do the below configuration in SPAD and check the result...

1. Device Type : <Your printer model> Or "SWIN"

2. Device Class : Standard Printer

3. Host Spool Access Method: "G: Front End Printing with Control Tech."

4. Host Printer : _DEFAULT

Save the settings and try to print from Client Computers. You will be able to select "Locally installed Printer". Give the print on one of the printer.

We are using this setting in our environment. We have SAP on HP-UX and Print Server is on Windows. We are using "SWIN" as Device type which is working fine will many printer makes and model. Nothing else is configured on HP-UX.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Edited by: Rajesh Narkhede on May 18, 2010 4:52 PM

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I completed the printer configuration.

Installed the servcie SAPSPrint in windows server

Then in SPAD:

Access method : U

Host printer :
xxx\xx

Destination : ip address of the printer

It worked successfully.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the simple way is...

1. Install seperate Print Server (Windows based) for your printer..

2. Use Close device type in SAP (SPAD) for your printer. Device Type "SWIN" should also work.

3. Use the Access Method - "F" or "G" (Frontend printing).

4. Make sure that you have added printer in your client system.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede