Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master role & Derived role concept

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends ,

We have master and drive role concept in our project . ABC_XXXX (Master role ) ABC_1000(Derived role) (1000= company code)

Now we need to maintain some values in master roles lets say display :03 . Should we regenrate deived role as well ?

If we regenrate derived role , Do inhertiance relatioship breaks? and we need to maintain company code =1000 value again ?

Please suggest.

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

A derived/child role will inherit all functional accesses which the parent/master role has, but for this inheritance to happen there is one manual step to be done:

For e.g.: If you added value ACVT-03 into an object in parent role:ABC_XXXX

After you have done the change and saved and generated the master role, you need to do one step in the master role in:

PFCG->Authorization-->Change authorization data

Go to Authorizations (leftmost tab on top of the screen)

In drop down --> Adjust derived --> Generate derived roles.

Once you have performed this step, the new value added into the master role gets reflected in child roles as well (you can manually check this in PFCG-->ABC_1000,2000 etc).

Regards

Soumya

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

A derived/child role will inherit all functional accesses which the parent/master role has, but for this inheritance to happen there is one manual step to be done:

For e.g.: If you added value ACVT-03 into an object in parent role:ABC_XXXX

After you have done the change and saved and generated the master role, you need to do one step in the master role in:

PFCG->Authorization-->Change authorization data

Go to Authorizations (leftmost tab on top of the screen)

In drop down --> Adjust derived --> Generate derived roles.

Once you have performed this step, the new value added into the master role gets reflected in child roles as well (you can manually check this in PFCG-->ABC_1000,2000 etc).

Regards

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Forgot to answer some more questions you had asked. Adding them here:

Now we need to maintain some values in master roles lets say display :03 . Should we regenrate deived role as well ?

- use the steps I mentioned in my earlier reply to re-generate derived roles from the Master role.

If we regenrate derived role , Do inhertiance relatioship breaks?

- please use the steps I suggested, the inheritance will not break. And this is an advantage of Master-->derived role.thats the meaning of having this concept in SAP.

and we need to maintain company code =1000 value again ?

--- No you dont need to. (you can check and see this manually).

Hope it helps...

Soumya

Edited by: Soumya Thomas on May 20, 2010 12:34 PM

Edited by: Soumya Thomas on May 20, 2010 12:35 PM

0 Kudos

Soumya , You saved me really . My manager was sitting on my head . your immidiate response really helped me a lot , I have done your suggestions practically and it solved my problem .

thanks a lot and have a great dat ,

regards

Rana

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Now we need to maintain some values in master roles lets say display :03 . Should we regenrate deived role as well ?

> regards

For any changes done in the parent role you need to regenerate the derived roles. Follow steps for generating the derived role as suggested by Soumya.

>

> If we regenrate derived role , Do inhertiance relatioship breaks? and we need to maintain company code =1000 value again ?

> regards

Generating the derived role does not break the inheritance relationship. No generating the derived role through parent role does not change any organisational level values.

Thanks.

Anjan