Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR XI Crashes 100%/time crw32.exe App Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actual error messages:

Error #1

(Title Bar) crw32.exe - Application Error

(Body) The instruction at "0x31e1809f" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

-

Error #2

(Title Bar) Crystal Reports - <Report Name>: crw32.exe - Application Error

(Body) The instruction at "0x5ad71531" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

-

Im running CR XI Prod. Ver. 11.0.0.1282. The report that im writing is pulling tables from an Oracle 10g database. The report already has 5 tables with links redefined. At this point the report is beautiful.

Need to add a new field from a new table. No problem adding the new table. Its when i try to delete the default links to this new table , or any other table and hit OK, the program crashes 100% of the time.

If i remove the new table from the list, normal functionality is restored and i can delete any link as i see fit. Without problem.

There is nothing special about this new table that is being added. I can "Browse data..." by R-Clicking on the field names in Field Explorer and see the values without problem. If i add any of the fields to the report, the report doesnt run because the links are incorrect. Which is what im trying to fix and CR XI crashes 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance.

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Ive tried rebooting, even tried on another computer.

Operating systems being used are Windows XP SP 3. No bugs/viruses/trojans or worms, clean systems.

Edited by: Matthew73 on Jun 24, 2010 8:07 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthew,

Silly question. What ODBC driver are you using? I wonder if you tried another driver if you would get different results.

I have had many problems with the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver.

Just a thought.

Ray

0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

Yes and no, I believe CR uses the registry key over the report option so it's always going to not auto link.

One other option, besides the ODBC driver question Ray asked is to upgrade to CR XI R2 for free: Go to this link: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc and download the trial version of CR XI R2 and use your XI keycode, then apply the patches which you can get to by clicking on the BusinessObjects tab above, then Downloads.

Direct link to the Trial version: http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx

R2 will likely have all the Oracle issues resolved with Service Pack 6.

Start off with SP 4 full build and then apply SP 6 to get up to date and then test again.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raymond

Im using Crystal Reports to pull info from Oracle databases thats used in conjunction with an ERP system called IFS. For some reason IFS only supports CR XI. They've also told us not to use ODBC drivers, to link directly to the databases instead.

If i look in my odbc cpl, under drivers tab i have a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle v.2.575.1132.00.

0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

Don't use Micorsoft's ODBC driver, it only supports Oracle 7 and is very limited to what it supports.

Download our DataDirect drivers and test again:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100008666562008E/cr_datadirect53_win32.zip

You may also need to Integration kit for SAP to make this work correctly.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, i downloaded and installed the new drivers and no luck. The second i delete the link to the database i want it crashes with the same error message

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Let's approach this from a different angle. Instead of using Crystal, as a test try using Access or another program that can use ODBC.

I'd like to see what happens when the tables are linked. My goal is to isolate the problem as a Crystal problem, driver problem or database problem. If it fails in this other program then we've eliminated Crystal as the culprit. That leaves the ODBC driver and the database.

If you've changed drivers and it still fails that leaves the database. I've worked with databases where linking was crucial or reports would crash. The vendor that created the database had to map the database out for us to avoid this problem.

Good luck,

Brian

0 Kudos

Can you go to Microsoft's site again and download debugdiag 1.1. Run it and set it to create the dump file for crw32.exe when it crashes. You can analyze it also and it may tell you what dll is causing the issue.

What happens if you create a new report, save it, close the designer and then open that new report and try to delete one of them? Could be just an issue with your existing reports.

If that doesn't resolve then I suggest you purchase a case and get one of our Rep's to help debug this on line.

You have verified you are a local PC admin, DEP is not enabled, anti-virus disabled and nothing else or as little as possible running?

It could be also that some dependency is there but CR is picking up the wrong version and doesn't get to the one we need.

If you have a PC where it does work go to our download page and get Modules and run it on both PC's then you can compare the runtime. Our Database drivers have a dependency on MFC*.80.dll's. It could be there are a bunch of those on your PC and CR is using the one some other program loads in memory.

mmmmm.

Don

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I ran into something similar a while ago with the same version. After you add the new table into the report, immediately go to Database | Verify Database. I got a message saying the tables had changed. Let Crystal fix the changes and then proceed with adding the new field onto the report.

That fixed it for me. I found this was more because the report was holding onto some phantom table schema. Verifying the database forced Crystal to update the schema.

New reports with the same table worked fine, it was only with this one report. Not sure why but that fixed it for me.

Good luck,

Brian

0 Kudos

As well as the great suggestion so far another option is because Oracle can have a massive amount of tables Cr by default will try to link all tables and all fields. To disable this function at the registry level go into regedit and to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Decisions\10.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions - DoAutoSmartLinking

and set it to No if it is not already.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brian Dong

I tried your solution and it verified the database successfully. then i tried to remove the unneeded links and again the program crashed.

still failing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don Williams

Is this the same as what Raymond above suggested?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthew,

This may not be an answer to your problem but it's certain a worth-while workaround.

I have found the Smart-Linking only gets me in trouble so I have turned it off and I link everything manually.

Click File - Options.

Go to the Database tab and uncheck 'Automatic Smart Linking'.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another thing to try, build a report using only the new data connection, and does that by itself give the

same symptoms. If so... Then perhaps some sort of permisions issue? If you can create the report

" With just the new db ", you could try copying out the SQL, and create a Command, to add that report

to the other one. Any way, sounds like a curious issue. Also, you are on CRXI, your current version should be

11.5.12.1838 ( If you have all the currrent patches )

Former Member
0 Kudos

To all who've helped so far, thanks a lot for your excellent and quick responses. Regarding the 'Automatic Smart Linking', ive disabled it and the problem is still persistent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

V361-V361

Great idea, however if i connect to the database by itself, there are no links so there is no problem. In the current problematic file, if i connect the new table into the datasource and take the default links. i can add the fields to the report. However when the report refreshes there is no data, because the links arent correct.

I need to get the patches, but my version/license was originally assigned to an employee who registered it with his email. That employee no longer works for the company and i dont know his password. Trying to fix this now as the patches are necessary.