Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role of a SCN/SDN contributions in your CV

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear sirs,

I wonder if you mention the SCN contributions (points, blogs, roles, status like "Active contributor", "Top contributor" or anything) in your official CV, if you mention the contributions in your cover letter (like: look how I am active and enthusistic).

I would like to know if your friends know about your "hobby", if your superior knows about it and cares.

I would like to hear all kinds of experience using the virtual SCN reputation in the real world.

I would like to know about any experience with using SCN for a company education, even if you´re experience is a little unusual like the urban legends saying that "there are companies, which use the SCN points as a personal performance indicator".

I would like to know if the recruiters know about the SCN and its reputation system, if they care, if they value it. I would like to meet people who have found a better job through the SCN involvement.

I hope my question is clear enough and looking forward to hear your opinions because the value of the involvement in the community must be proved and, in my opinion, some of the pieces of experience could encourage people both to be proud of their contributions and use it in the career development.

Thank you all, Otto

p.s.: In my opinion, it would be great to hear the experience of our SAP friends as well. I wonder what is the SCN involvement value in internal SAP processes. I understand everything is soooo confidential and you would have to kill me, but if you could share an idea or two, it would be great for all the audience.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto, good questions, I was just thinking about "the same" the other day. I decided not to mention SCN contributions on my CV (or resume) for the already mentioned reasons. In this economy no one probably wants a potential employer/client to start wonder "is this person going to work or post on SCN?". Although my SCN activity has never affected my performance negatively (sometimes I even get caried away and stay after work) and my current employer very much encourages learning, you never know how others might perceive it.

As far as having any tangible benefits from SCN, the orange "1/4K club" t-shirt (good times! ) is as far as it goes for me. As others have already mentioned, the r-e-w-a-r-d is mostly the knowledge or just sense of satisfaction from helping others.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto,

an interesting question. I'm not sure I'd want to shout about my SCN usage, but I'd certainly not want to go to work for a company that wasn't interested in supporting SCN either.

I certainly have learnt more from contributing than I would have from not actively participating, so I think my skill level has increased because of being active in SCN. Hopefully, were I to be looking for alternative employment, those responsible for hiring would look kindly on the posts I have made on SCN. I don't think that I have many posts is the point - more that they are hopefully well reasoned and articulated.

When I am involved in hiring new staff, I do a search on SCN to see what the person has contributed, most people aren't thinking of potential employers when posting so I think you'd get a reasonable view of the person's skill level and more importantly communication ability. That said, SCN wouldn't be the only site I'd search! - Nowadays you have to be aware that anything you post online can be viewed by a potential employer, facebook, linkedin, (with security considerations) twitter, etc. If it's online, it's public, expect that a potential employer will look at it. As to SCN contributions - even if the person hasn't posted, then it at least gives me an interesting interview question to ask - why they have not, do they see it as worthwhile, etc.

I would think that being an SAP mentor would have some employment benefits - especially in the consulting area, however, if that's why you'd want to be a mentor, I think you'd have got it all wrong! The focus should be community - and being a figurehead for community involvement - not a self serving means to get ahead.

my thoughts,

(and now I should stop posting and get back to doing some work

Chris

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would think that being an SAP mentor would have some employment benefits - especially in the consulting area, however, if that's why you'd want to be a mentor, I think you'd have got it all wrong! The focus should be community - and being a figurehead for community involvement - not a self serving means to get ahead.

I didn´t say I am going to become one:)) i am not too ambitious:)) My questions are about different types of social status of the members of the community and about the value of their status/ contributions. In fact, I am not changing my job, not going to become a mentor or something like that:)) Most probably i will read this thread up and down few times, ask some more questions to fill the blanks and then try to articulate some conclusions...

Thank you for your thoughts, I find them very valuable, and of course the thoughts of all the nice people commented on this thread, thank you, Otto

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto!

sorry - I meant "you" - as in a generic third person pronoun "one", it's just that "one" sounds so pompous, and I already have enough people taking the mick out of my accent here in Australia. (I'm what the Aussies refer to as a Pommy B**tard)

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you were self serving! Rather the opposite, I'd wish more people took as much time to discuss things as openly as you do in these forums!

I look forward to your conclusions!

Cheers,

Chris

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No problem:)) So...where do you come from? I just a curious guy, not a big deal. Otto

p.s.: Chris, are you aware of the fact you´re one of the first like 3 people commenting on most of the cotributions/blogs/topics I am going to comment/ are very interesting. I always ask myself, how can this guy be so fast. Maybe you can clone your symbiont for me?:)))))))

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Has anybody tried to compare the value of the SDN reputation with SAP certification? Otto

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto - are you trying to take this thread stratospheric? You're opening the metaphorical can of worms here!

It will be a very interesting conversation to have though! Personally, I'd rate and recruit with SCN rep being more important to me.

This links into the posts/comments that have recently been going on on a [Five Ways Twitter will Help your SAP Career |/people/jarret.pazahanick/blog/2010/07/12/five-ways-twitter-will-help-your-sap-career]. I think that networking/information sharing ability is an extremely attractive attribute in a potential recruit. However, I wouldn't care too much about the number of SCN pinots that a recruit had - but more the quality of their replies.

Working at customers where the incentive for the staff to stay on is partly unfettered access to SAP courses and certification, I've seen people who have many certificates, but little apparent knowledge or aptitude.

If a person had either certification or SCN contribution on their CV, I'd want to dig further - were they just a [Pakistani MP pretending to have a degree|http://www.theage.com.au/world/pakistans-mp-cheats-spark-crisis-20100703-zuyj.html?skin=text-only] or were they a legitimate graduate who knew what they claimed.

As I said, personally I'd rate SCN reputation (NB not pinots) as more important because I value aptitude more than knowledge, and being active on SCN, to me, demonstrates that sort of aptitude.

- to your other questions - I'm originally from the UK although my mother is Dutch, and I'm happily living and working in Australia now - which often means I get to questions/posts whilst the rest of the world sleeps... (or enjoys the sunshine at the moment!)

Cheers,

Chris

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A point also, which ties in nicely to my point about the Pakistani MPs - it is easy to fake SAP certification and almost impossible to validate it. Whereas, it is easy to validate SCN contribution.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto - are you trying to take this thread stratospheric? You're opening the metaphorical can of worms here!

Yes, sure! In my opinion to gater some facts and/or feelings from the strangers as well as the famous faces here can help people asking themselves why to contribute to decide.

It will be a very interesting conversation to have though! Personally, I'd rate and recruit with SCN rep being more important to me.

I feel the potential of the site, of the personal reputation, of the contacts and the potential to create/ exchange the innovations... and I want to gather enough evidence to be able to tell a message about a value of the SCN reputation. Not for money, not for fame, just to build a next stair to heaven (I was going to mention some pretty cool transaction code here, but Icannot pick one to call it heaven:))) Maybe su03?).

Working at customers where the incentive for the staff to stay on is partly unfettered access to SAP courses and certification, I've seen people who have many certificates, but little apparent knowledge or aptitude.

That is why I asked to compare a value of a certification and the contributions. It is like at school. You sit on the chair and let the teacher teach you everything you need to pass the exam (man, I didn´t know it is so stupid to sit at school, when I was sitting in one...). But SCN is more about practise, about the ability to find a man to help, to find a source to use, to find a tutorial to follow, more like the daily routine. It is like when you compare a degree and the years of experience.

or enjoys the sunshine at the moment!

I cannot stand the sun anymore. I am from Czech rep. (no access to the sea) and we have 35C in the shade, air does not move... You´re from Australia, you should understand that:))

A point also, which ties in nicely to my point about the Pakistani MPs - it is easy to fake SAP certification and almost impossible to validate it. Whereas, it is easy to validate SCN contribution

Very nice point. My question is: there were no viruses for Linux or Apple, and there are some now. I wonder when a man will find a way, how to fake the SDN reputation:))

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

By the way: I wonder if SAP considers a man´s SDN contributions when hiring him/ her? Any experience?

I have always thought it is a goog way how to get a job and have amazing people like Righ Heilman. Or am I mistaken?

Regards Otto

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi otto,

when i was searching for posting job openings in sdn i found an interesting thread, i think it will be useful to your question

check this threads last reply about considering a man's SCN's contribution in selection.

Regards

Mahesh.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you, Makesh!! I find the thread very interesting! Looks like the SDN guys (thought) think it could work this way. Maybe we could ask them for an update. The thread is 4 years old and it is possible they have changed their minds based on some "real" experience or the experience they have heard about...

I am not sure if that was just an idea of Mr. SDN or if Mark was serious about that, but I like to have it written down as an evidence:)) ..and maybe we could even get some evidence from his side...? I will look into it, if we can get few lines about the topic:)) I also wonder if there are people who got the job this way (not MBA, but the 500 SDN points threshold) or who hired a guy liked this...

Thank you for your interest and that you kept this thread in mind to share what you have digged!

Regards Otto

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Role of the SCN contributions in your CV, part 1: /people/otto.gold/blog/2010/08/12/role-of-the-scn-contributions-in-your-cvresume-part1

Role of the SCN contributions in your CV, part 2: /people/otto.gold/blog/2010/08/13/role-of-the-scn-contributions-in-your-cv-part-2

thank you all for your comments, maybe we could have some more, let´s see.

cheers Otto

p.s.: I am going to write part 3 to end this with some "success" stories, so any ideas/ comments on first two or something I could mention in the third part are welcome

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looking for some more or new ideas about the topics. I also welcome comment about the blogs:))

Thank you all, for your help!

Cheers Otto

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

Not sure if it really fits with your theme, but the other week I was interviewing someone for a job working with me, and they had looked me up on SCN before the interview - they knew they were going to be speaking with me. I think it helped them get it straight in their head what sort of person I was before they started talking to me - and because of that the interview worked very well.

I think this goes back to a previous point made - even if you don't put it on your CV (I didn't share my CV with this person) - people are likely to find out what you've been upto in the online world (perhaps [unless you are in Germany|http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS338070983320100826] ) so you need to be careful of the impression you are giving people.

I enjoyed your blogs - look forward to number 3.

Cheers,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

Points are not the decisive factor in a job interview, thereu2019re other factors that need to be considered. After a candidate passes technical skills evaluation, then soft skills should not be ignored. A successful project is a project where everybodyu2019s getting along well, work side by side; team play. Otherwise, it wouldnu2019t get the most out of everybody. And soft skills play a vital role on this.

Points should be an added value to a profile. But theyu2019re not u201Csilver bulletsu201D.

Regards. Jen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Making a pain or fool of yourself can be a silver bullet on SDN.

That is what ponits and gmail accounts are for.

It is also why we delete all associated accounts when 1 of them does the needfull.

But I agree with you; it is still silly, not to mention time consuming.

Most good work is given via good reputation (for this SDN is usefull) but some of the volume is not good work nor original however.

Personally I also do some selected pieces of work for free. You cannot be cheaper than that and get the tricky bits at good rates

This does however not include doing lazy bones' searches for them on SDN.

In contrast an expert to expert handover is perfectly okay.

Cheers,

Julius

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure if it really fits with your theme,

Chris, you always fit in. I am looking forward to get some more valuable inputs from your side, seriously.

For those who didn´t read the last part, check here:

Role of the SCN contributions in your CV, part 3: /people/otto.gold/blog/2010/09/26/role-of-the-scn-contributions-in-your-cv-part-3

Cheers Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Otto..

yet don't know use of SCN/SDN contribution on my CV.... definatly lot of people will have surprise to see that....

definatly these contribution helped me a lot... I came to know lot of information.. lot of bugs ...

This is my personal SAP consultant...

Also I feel really happy to see that people are recocnising my contribution and it is helping them..

we will grow toghether no doubt...

-Pushkar

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I put the fact that I'm a moderator on my CV, as I think that's a positive thing to say. But I wouldn't put "Active contributor". That might put prospective clients off.

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But I wouldn't put "Active contributor".

Why not? Could you please describe your reason in a greater detail?

That might put prospective clients off.

Why do you think so? Because of the time cost? Moderation must be much more time consuming than the "active contribution":))

Thank you, Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do actually make a point of checking people on SDN before hiring them to see the level of questions they ask. Its an easy way to establish how much knowledge they have but I don't use it as a reference for project experience, just to check if they ask really basic questions without attempting to solve them on their own.

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do actually make a point of checking people on SDN before hiring them to see the level of questions they ask

What actions you take after knowing the status from SCN ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would never hire someone based on their points. I would not hire them based on their questions.

Its easy to gauge two things from a person's questions:

1. Does the person understand why the problem is occuring, or have they at least tried to understand. I.e. do you even bother to check what the error message actually means?

2. Have they bothered to follow basic problem solving techniques to try solve the problem. There are some basic problems which are not documented in the training material but can be resolved quite easily if you follow basic problems solving techniques.

3. Are they methodical?

4. Are they lazy? Are they trying to get other people to do their work for them?

5. Do they understand the business process behind the area they are trying to configure?

etc

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wonder how many people you have hired/ rejected after reading their SDN profile?

You were the guy who decided about hiring the people or not or your vote was only helping?

Maybe you have a funny story about your hiring experience + SDN you could share?

Regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've caught a couple of people copying my answers and then pasting them word for word as responses to questions in SDN to build their points. The way I explain the business concept behind a particular scenario is obviously identifiable to me so it's easy to do a check and then once I've identified it I normally report it. I have no issue with copying and pasting or pointing to the source post with the answer but pretending it's your own work is poor form. On one occasion a person who copied me had the gall to ask me to give him a job in Australia and then tried use his SDN points as a reference to how skilled he was. Obviously I less than politely told him no.

Edited by: Athol Hill on Jul 7, 2010 5:52 PM

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Otto,

Okay I have some time to take your bait and answer this question

I think on linkedin I linked up the SCN app, but not about the ponits but for fun.

In terms of my CV/resume, I believe I did put the fact that I'm SCN Topic Moderator for CRM and SAP Mentor 2010, but never really that I had x amount of ponits.

In terms of answering questions the way I choose is the following:

1) Question is not already being answered by someone else

2) Topic is something I already know

3) Topic is something that I don't know, but will need to know in the future for project work

4) Someone e-mailed me to take a look at the question

Moderating is a lot more time consuming. On the weekdays I will read everything that gets posted to the CRM General, CRM Middleware and CRM Webclient UI forums, via e-mail subscription. I will save those threads that either need moderation followup, would make good wiki articles, or I want to answer. It's a good way to learn a topic, by reading all the posts in a forum on your particular area. You never know what new idea/problem might come across that might be helpful to your work.

I generally have moved beyond grabbing ponits. I don't need to be the #1 ponit guy in the CRM space, but rather be one of several contributors that keeps the general CRM community humming. The more folks who I get to contribute in the CRM wiki or forums in a constructive manner, is better than myself getting ponits. My motto is to "pay it forward", which will to lead contributions that someday help you once again.

Take care,

Stephen

sikindar_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

My personal Opinion is i wont give much preference to SDN points i have been active contributor for almost three years The reasons

1. Most of the Answers given by the users includeing me for the queries are Assumptions in case of critical issues

2. The real Picture will be different when it comes to action even though if we give a solution. Most of the solutions are available in Standrad SAP so no need to bother

3. The weightage should be given based on the Solutioin given by the User in the over all way there are certain people who are not frequent users but the soultions shared by them is absolutely fantastic in that case the Points doesnt come into the Picture and i vote for the Solutions provided by them

and at last SCN is only one factor where we can benefit but the rest lies in the work you have done and all other factors

SCN is a network where we can see different set of People with different Skills which includes

The way they address the issue (which is very important and it will be the experience to the people who are starters )

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First, thank you for your answers and the time and effort to write that down/share with us.

Let me rephrase the question:

...forget about the points for a moment... have you ever met a customer, a recruiter, a new boss... who was aware of your contributions on SDN and offered better conditions, asked for something not typical (like when I am asked about things I can answer, but most of the people would never ask me the questions since I am young and stuff - then asking is a proof trust), cared about your opinions more... if your reputation has/had any significant impact?

Again, thank you all, for your comments and keep going,

regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

in my opinion the contributions, blogs.... are pretty worthless in terms of getting more attention or better conditions by a customer or any recruiter. At least this is the experience I made here in Germany. May be this is different in other countries. Even being a Mentor didn't get me a job faster or better paid. The only thing I can imagine is that you might have a light advantage at a customer site if there is somebody who knows you from your contributions, but this is then nothing else then the social networking thing.

best regards

Siggi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I interviewed a candidate once who stated upfront that he had read my SDN blogs on SU24 so there is no need to get into any technical details in the interview. Well... the complete opposite happened and it turned out that he had virtually no experience nor "feeling" for what is right and wrong in a tricky issue.

I think from the quality of the SDN contributions and questions you can create an advantage for yourself if the search is used and alternately use the search. It certainly has been usefull to me on several occasions.

I cannot say the same for the ponits though. If customers / employers observe that collecting ponits is important for the candidate then they might think that you have other childish fetishes as well, like nipping peppermints from the reception desk, or towels from hotels, or pocketing sandwiches at the office party, or trying to be a "glory queen" without the rest of the team involved, etc...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

I replied to this thread as well. .

But how has it helped in my job. The benefits to me are not putting SCN points in my job. It is all the answers I get. All the knowledge that is out there.

My performance review does not reference the SCN points. BUT it does reference my projects. My projects are directly effected by the help I get here. (Not all of the time. But some of the time, I need help. Or a better way of doing something.) Also my performance review refllects the wealth of knowledge I have. A lot of it is obtained from experience. That experience sometimes comes from this forum.

I post - get points - because someone has taken the time to post something that has helped me - or will help me.

As a side note - I did search for people that we have interviewed for a job on SCN. I couldn't find any of them. I don't think it would have influenced me. But it wouldn't have hurt if they had contributed something here. For example if everything else was even and I needed a tie breaker - I might notice that they can do some self-help by their posts. But this is a side benefit. The bigger one is the first one that I listed.

Michelle

kesavadas_thekkillath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Otto,

It was a great advantage for me to get my recent job.Its like some firms promote SCN Contributions, some doesnt.

But i enjoy being in SCN, It adds an extra advantage to your CV when you highlight it in your attainments. Not only in CV but it aslo plays a great role in internal process. I do feel happy that my contributions also helps the society in may ways.

Its a part of appraisal in our firm.

@Philippe - I aslo admit to your concern, there are some legends here who doesnt have much points or who doesnt visit the forum much frequently, but they are really terrific.

One name comes to my mind Mark Mergaerts , sorry there are many those i could not remember and had helped me a lot.

Its great being a part of SCN.

keshav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if the SDN contributions play a role in real life. I personally have not mentioned to anyone abt my involvement in SDN ever either on my resume or verbally, though I used that in LINKEDIN where you can add the SDN points to your profile (just out of curosity). And I believe SDN points are no way a benchmark for a person's SAP knowledge or abilty. I have seen people (alot of them) answer a question with the same solution that has been already provided by someone else just to get some points (Same solution more than 10 times in the same thread). Involvement in SDN is very time consuming, the luxury only a few have that too for only a short period. (Coffe Corner is my fav - lot of ranting and humurous too)

The real wealth of SDN is knowing something you havent encountered ever. I personally have recreated many issues that were posted in the forum just out of curiosity to see if I can resolve them. If I was able to - I reply back, if not, just watch the thread till somebody provides a solution. I still watch many threads posted by others which I have no clue or never worked on - just to know and understand.

I personally would never evaluate anyone just by his/her SDN points - maybe by the answers they provided (If ever I take that pain)

On a different note - I never knew that some companies have a goal like below for performance appraisal (I should talk to my boss to see if he will ever consider this as a goal)

in these goals one was to earn atleast 20 points in a financial year and to publish atleast 2 blogs/articles on SCN..

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I personally would never evaluate anyone just by his/her SDN points

Ok, I can understand that. But I wonder, what are the points in your eyes then? You have plenty... so it is like money? Do you care if you have enough? Elaborate your philosophy a little and tell me what do your points and others´ points for you?

Otto

GauthamV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> But I wonder, what are the points in your eyes then?

>

I wonder if you are aware of thing like [UN food programme|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/007928c5-c4ef-2a10-d9a3-8109ae621a82] [original link is broken];.

One of my favourite quotes:

Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself.

Its what you do for others.

Cheers

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, got it, UN food programme. But I insist on my question. Do you think the SDN points do not tell anything about the person?

Regards Otto

philippe_marque
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I will do the bad guy in this post There is no intention at all to offense anyone. I would just like to understand who are the guys who have several thousands of points. This is related to your post in the sens that I ask the question if you really should mention yours contributions in your CV.

I'm a freelancer with 17 years SAP experience and I do not put my contributions in my CV or in my Linked-In profile.

I'm answering questions in forums from time to time when I do a pause at work.

I have seen points hunters in the past years in forums and my opinion is that having several thousands of points does not demonstrate your skills. When I have a look at points, I prefer to have a look at the percentage nb of posts / nb of points.

If I were a recruiter, I would appreciate someone who participate in forum and help others from time to time, but I would ask me questions about someone with several thousands of points : will this guy work for me on my projects during his work hours or will he spend 2 or 3 hours per day in forums for his own glory ?

Of course it depends on how you gain your points. If you have a deep knowledge on one subject and you explain it in one or several blogs, that's fine, but you would gain let say 1000 points maximum.

For those who have more than 10000 points, could you please explain how you gained those points and how many time you spend on SDN per day ?

If I were to mention it on my CV, I would not mention the number of points but I would provide some links to the contributions / blogs I posted.

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no intention at all to offense anyone - None taken.

I cannot boast of kind of experience you have, but I'm decent at what I do. I agree that I dont deserve all the points that I have - its may be

some are too generous with granting points

Some grant points even for any clarifications you ask for questions

and some for any reply even though it doesnt solve thier issue (Sometimes I do that too - as appreciation for the time they have taken to look at my issue - if they do it for thier own glory - SO BE IT)

For those who have more than 10000 points, could you please explain how you gained those points and how many time you spend on SDN per day ?

Thats a tricky question - and depends on alot of factors

kind of project I'm on - if its run-of-mill project (Where I have to work during my pauses) I would prefer to spend that time in SDN rather than on some social netwokring site

depends on my boss too - if he is more worried about how I spend my time at work rather than my deliverables

My team mates - if they are boring, SDN is a escape

frequency of my urge to smoke

Weather - I'm in SOCAL, so would love to take a stroll whenever I can

Bad cell reception

And how sick my kids get during winters - too many doctor visits

And importantly how many issues I have of my own and will be visiting SDN for solutions

You see there are many factors - arent they? But I appreciate all the people who take time to look at others issues - no matter what they are looking for - self glory, satisfaction or sense of achievement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will take the honor of being the first person to "glorify" SCN.

When I became a active contributor in SDN forums and started sharing my ideas, I have got 3 or 4 offers from reputed IT service companies (One of them was from SAP itself). Apparently the Project leads who were looking at SDN either for sharing their knowledge or getting their issues discussed, noticed my involvement.

Needless to say, I was more than delighted when I was made those offers

I also mention I am an active contributor in SDN forums in my CV.

Regards

Jai

sikindar_a
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Otta

Even i benefited through my Contributions

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe you could elaborate a little Sikindar? I wonder what is/ was the value of SCN contribution for your career.

Thank you, for beign the firt one to repsd, Jaishankar:)) I am glad it helped you. For me you´re maybe the first man ever who has proven the value of SCN in real life! I have asked the similar question, but not many people has responded, check here: Not to complain aout that I was very pleased to read the answer by Arakish, which caught my heart:)) I wonder how did the interview went for a new job, did they ask you about the SCN in first place, last or didn´t ask? Could you please elaborate a little? Would be cool to chit chat a little:))

Thank you both for your answers, guys, for your time and effort as well.

Regards Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

i don't know about CV but SCN contribution makes huge difference in Appraisals

apparently lot of organizations are encouraging employees to be an active member of SCN!

I guess we should proudly mention our contributions in CV.

Regards,

Sharayu

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Does that mean you got promoted/ raised salary or something... "material" or useful-for-your-career through the SDN contributions? Maybe you could tell us more about the appraisal system in your company;))

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

i didn't get promotion or salary hike just because i contribute on SCN...

but the SCN contributions... points .. and the articles published by individuals are one of the aspects considered in Appraisals..

Atleast this is what i have seen in my current and previous organisation

Regards,

Sharayu

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

considered in Appraisals

What are the implications for real life? You got a beer (or what is the local custom...)? Or was awarded "employee of the month"? Or it is just a field on the appraisal form, where you only fill in your points number or the points change since last appraisal session?

Reading the lines for the second time, I feel you could feel a sarcasm or something, but please believe me I am asking a serious question and would like to know more details, not to offend or joke about it.

Otto

Former Member
0 Kudos

in my previous organization there were set of goals given to every employee @ start of the year...

and the employee who fulfills these goals gets good grades and in turn good appraisal...

in these goals one was to earn atleast 20 points in a financial year and to publish atleast 2 blogs/articles on SCN..

i guess the motive behind this is to make employee more aware of the current situation and to share the knowledge....

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found that the most important part of contributing is the chance to learn new things. If you just try to answer questions that you know the answer to, you won't get much out of it.

But if you try to answer a question that you really know very little about, it gives you a chance to learn.

Rob

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you elaborate a little, Rob? For me it is hard to believe that you read a question, where you don´t know the answer, and start the development to solve the problem from the thread and then post the solution (like doing someone else´s job for free?)? I don´t believe you have time for that and you´re too smart for that. So how exactly do you learn?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wouldn't say that I develop a solution to a problem from scratch or do the person's job for him or her. But I look for challenging questions and by definition, I don't start off knowing the answer. But I do have to have some knowledge about the question, just not all that is needed.

On the other hand there are some FAQs posted that I don't know the answer to and I don't try to answer them. Before you ask, yes I will lock a FAQ that I don't know the answer to.

Rob

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
But if you try to answer a question that you really 
   know very little about, it gives you a chance to learn

I go by Rob's comments. The fact is that I also try to give suggestion where some question is challenging and I am not sure on my proposal. So first I will test myself in most cases and give suggestion in the forum. In that way, I can proudly say that I have learned a lot through this forum and of course, there is a recognition in any firm whoever is consulting SAP or implemented SAP.

I don´t believe you have time for that

I do have time constraint but I am managing sitting late night It doesnt mean that I wake up late in the morning. I have to get up early morning before sun rises !!!!!!!!

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi