cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Delete a parameter field

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using Crystal Reports XI. I created a report using a dynamic parameter and assigned a table field to use as the LOV.

I also used the Add Command feature to create a "view" to use as a datasource.

The report worked beautifully! Then I decided to add the command to the repository, which I believe is on a different server than the rest of the tables used in the report. I thought this might cause problems when I moved from development to the production environment, so I removed the original command table, disconnected from all the datasources, recreated the command table and kept it local.

Note: The command table did not reference the dynamic prompt parameter.

When I tried to refresh the report, I received an error on the dynamic prompt parameter. I then removed all references to the parameter in the report so I could delete and recreate it. However, although there is no check next to it, the delete option does nothing. The option is not greyed out, it just doesn't do anything and I cannot edit it either. I finally created a new dynamic prompt for the field with a new name.

The report is working fine again, with no errors, but I still cannot delete the unnecessary parameter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you tell me that is report asking for parameter?

I report showing green tick on parameter?

Regards

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, as I said in my post, there is no check mark next to the parameter and the report is not prompting for it. It is just an extraneous parameter defined in the report.

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I ran into this as well. Once the SQL Command is deleted the parameter is stuck. I just had to ignore it. There's no way to delete it. I've tried recreating the parameter in the SQL Command and that doesn't help either.

Chalk it up to a undocumented feature.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Brian. I believe you are probably right. It just seems strange that the dynamic prompt from one datasource would get linked to the datasource (in this case, the repository) for a command that didn't reference it.

When I used the command from the repository, it asked me to log on twice. When I recreated the command locally, the dynamic parameter was still linked to that datasource, but I was not prompted to logon to it any longer. I started getting a "not a valid logon token" error in reference to the dynamic prompt. That's when I recreated the dynamic prompt with a new name.

I even verified the database hoping it would eliminate the repository "link", but it didn't.

Now, the report works as it should, with no errors, but the parameter is left in limbo. Weird.

Seems like a bug to me... Is there a forum to report potential bugs?

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I can log this as a bug. Brian used to work here so He can contact me directly and I'll get more info and sample reports and track it.

Brian, send me a test report using Xtreme. One thing to check first though is if any summaries or other functions happened to be used delete them also. I've seen this type of thing before and I don't believe it can't be deleted, something in the report is still referencing the parameter. But, opening the report in CR 2008 has new feature that lsits where objects are being used. It may show you also.

Thank you

Don

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tried recreating this using Xtreme in 12.3.0.601 and appears to no longer be a problem.

I created a report using ODBC to XTreme.

1) Created a SQL Command like:

SELECT `Employee`.`Employee ID`, `Employee`.`Last Name`, `Employee`.`First Name`

FROM `Employee` `Employee`

WHERE `Employee`.`Employee ID` = {?EMP_ID}

2) Dropped the fields onto the report.

3) Go to Set Database Location and point the SQL Command to Employee.

In XI it would set properly but the parameters would remain in the Field Explorer. Could not edit or delete.

2008 has the parameters removed completely.

1) Instead of doing a Set Database Location, I also added the Employee table to the original report.

2) Linked Employee to the Command and then removed all the Command fields from the report and added the same fields from Employee.

3) Removed the SQL Command from the report.

Parameters were also removed with no problems.

So Iu2019d say this is fixed when the user upgrades to 2008.

Thanks,

Brian

Answers (0)