cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internationalisation of Web Dynpro ABAP

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All - especially non-English speakers!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in translating WDA for multiple language use.

I've been doing this myself and have come across the following:

1) any data elements used must have local language translations if they are to automatically generate headers/labels - the master language text will not be pulled through.

2) In the ALV component the bound context attribute name seems to be used as the header if no local language text can be found - not the master language text.

3) Messages (as generated using wd message manager - report T100 etc) will bring through the master language text if not translated.

4) OTR texts are a pain to translate one by one as are always referred to by key - much easier to translate the whole package (goes for pretty much all translations - but OTR are particularly painful.)

5) Configuration based changes - I have no idea how to translate these! I've searched for help/posts/etc but no luck so far. Only way I have managed is to log into the system in the target language - launch the configuration editor, pray that I can understand the mix of German and Spanish and update the texts that need to be updated - FPM step name etc.

Does anyone know how to do component configuration translations in a slightly better way?

Has anyone come across anything else that might be helpful for translating - specifically to do with Web Dynpro ABAP?

Thanks,

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ah - have found that the configuration can be translated in SE63 under object type

><TLGS> Lockable Logical Objects (Short Texts)

the translatable object is

>WDCC < component_configuration_name > 00 04

Not exactly obvious - but nicer than trying to navigate the FPM configuration app in another language (or mixture of languages as many text seem to still come in German)

Any easier/more obvious ways to access this appreciated. (I'm sure Thomas is going to say that this is all easy in NW7.02).

I should mention that I have tried to watch - Thomas' eLearning - [Web Dynpro ABAP Internationalization|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/media/uuid/71ff36e7-0b01-0010-83ba-cd4d50ff1392] but it didn't seem to want to play for me.

Thanks,

Chris

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Any easier/more obvious ways to access this appreciated. (I'm sure Thomas is going to say that this is all easy in NW7.02).

No, it hasn't really changed much I'm afraid. The main items are the translation of the configuration - which you seem to have found. At one point on SDN someone talked about a community project that would build a translation workbench for WDA. It would pull together all the separate pieces and hide the complexities of the OTR long keys and such. I don't know if that ever got built, but it sure would help.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> a community project that would build a translation workbench for WDA

Sounds like a good idea. Given how painful it is to use the current translation tools (especially for the configuration) I wonder how much of the functionality of SE63 could be easily ported to a Web Dynpro app, as the translation pool concept certainly is useful. Haven't looked at the APIs (if any) behind the transactions. Might propose the idea for the guys in our development team to have a look at if/when they get any bench days.

The utility of any tool that could even just gather all the texts used in a given WD application along with their current translations would probably save me a day of work each time an app needed translating.

If I get around to it I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I tried to translate the configuration within SE63 as you mentioned. But it says, that no objects were found. Is it just applicable in EhP2? We are on 7.0 EhP1.

Do you have a screenshot how you did it?

Best regards

Sebastian

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

SE63 setup is a whole day's learning by itself. The easiest (not that it is easy) way to directly translate the configuration is to use the translation by transport object screen.

Translation->ABAP Object->Transport object.

Then enter in something like:

R3TR WDCC ZPA_OS_ORG_STRUCTURE_GAF        00

Where ZPA_OS_ORG_STRUCTURE_GAF is the name of your configuration. I think the total length before the 00 is important!

You can find the exact object entry from going to the configuration in SE80 then using "Goto->Obj. directory entry".

Good luck,

Chris

matteo_montalto
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I'm resuming this old thread to ask for help... What If I added some elements to an existing, standard Component Configuration using by means of an Enhancement? In this case, when I try to translate the added labels accessing to the Component Configurator

R3TR WDCC /SAPSRM/WDCC_FPM_OIF_RFQ_PR_PU  00

I can only see *standard* elements, and not  - i.e. - my added Main View label (as it has been added as enhancement).

Any hint for that? Thanks