cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track Merging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear My Helpful Gurus,

Can I know if there is anyway that we can do a code merge between 2 different tracks? I have Track A whereby all the code change were made and check-in here. Now, there will be a new Track B created and in this track, I would like to find out if there is any way that we can merge the code change made in Track A to Track B?

Also, may I know how can I transport all the code merge into Track B to Dev, Test and Prod?

SE

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you tell me one thing.Is track B Dc is using in TRACK A(DC).

If your using one dc in another using Used dc.You can actually syn the dcs.

SO that the code will be synched all the tracks.

And you can move the activity from dev to test and prod.

Regards,

Lavanya.G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lavanya.G,

You're right. Track B is also having the same DC list as Track A. However, as you know my changes is only at Track A. Therefore, my concern is whether Track B can inherit the changes from Track A DC.

Is yes, can you let me know how can I achieve this?

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.For that you have to define the track connections.

2.You can get the history from Approval tab in CMS.

Approval->select Histroy->arrow burtton (forward)->select target track and forward

Go to second track and import the same sca from dev to test and prod.All chanegs will be reflected.

PFB the reference forum regarding track connections.

Regards,Lavanya.G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lavanya.G,

Actually, we're planning for an NWDI SP upgrade and that's why come out with a suggestion to create a Track. Do you think actually creating a new track is require when we do NWDI SP upgrade?

Also, may I know will there be any impact if let's say the new track created on the new SP upgrade when connecting to the old track?

I would like to know if any action item I need to do.

Please advice, Lavanya.G.

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shreya,

During UpgradeAre you migrating the NWDI from one system to another system pls. clarify?

If so,It would definately require to create a new track.

Also, may I know will there be any impact if let's say the new track created on the new SP upgrade when connecting to the old track?There wont be any impact.

Regards,

Lavanya.G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lavanya.G,

May I know what do you mean by migrating NWDI? Is that the similar meaning to upgrading the NWDI SP version?

If not, can you let me know the procedure require for both?

Also, appreciate if you can let me know a list of action items that need to be perform between the Basis and Developer team accordingly?

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean you're upgrading the support-pack version of the NWDI itself? You don't need to create a new track when support-packing the NWDI. You won't lose your content, and shouldn't need to reconfigure much -- all you're doing is upgrading the platform's internals.

Or do you mean that you're using the NWDI to perform a support pack upgrade in the rest of your landscape? In this case, you will need a new track (where the new SAP-released code needs to go), and there are a number of ways to go about merging your changes: either semi-manually in the NWDS or through the DTR command line tool, which provides much more automatic functionality than the IDE or the WebGui (though the former path is the one more often taken).

If you're doing a support pack upgrade in the rest of your landscape, I can post more information to assist you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear James,

Actually the Basis are planning to create a New Track because of the NWDI upgrade. I don't think it's a landscape upgrade.

James, can I check with you that if they're really going to create a new track, I've a concern here. Because all the code change that I did is located in the current track. I have all the activities check-in and released. However, I am not sure when the new track is created, whether all the changes that I did earlier in the current can be deployed fully into the new track.

Can you give me your thoughts?

Sincerely,

SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see three possible scenarios here.

1. Your basis consultants intend to install your new DI on a new server -- this means your code won't be in the new DI.

2. Your basis consultants intend to uninstall the old DI before installing the new one -- this means your code won't be in the new DI.

3. Your basis consultants intend to support pack your existing DI and then create a new track -- this means your old track will remain in the DI, in addition to the new track.

Based on what I'm hearing from you, it's scenario 3. Which means you won't lose your code, and will be able to port it to the new track. Having said that, scenario 3 is completely illogical -- there's no need for a new track. If you're not provided with a good reason for the new track being created, I'd ignore it and keep using the old one.

If, however, I've misunderstood, and you're in scenario 1 or 2, someone needs to export the SCA files containing the code in your existing track to prevent losing your code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya

is it possible to merge code between two tracks??

suppose there are two tracks: Track  A and Track B

both have similar DC list.

Suppose few developers makes some changes in track A- testwdjdc

and few other developers make some changes in track B same dc testwdjdc

now we want to merge changes made by both developers into each other track to ensure they are in sync.

that means changes made in testwdjdc in two different tracks must be retained as it is and merged into each others.

is it possible?? by establishing some connection b/w both tracks or some other way.

regards,

Indira

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shreya,

SP upgrade will be done by the basis team. Creation of the task can be done by the BASIS team or the developers having administration acccess. You can find the steps to create the track on the SAP help portal at

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/44/312b1a8bea3ec8e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

However, it is not required to create a new track if you are just upgrading the SP of your NWDI. I think what Lavanya was asking was, whether you are upgrading the same NWDI system or are you going to use a different NWDI system with the new SP. In latter case you'l have to create a new track as it will be anew system and your code wouldn't be in the repository.

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ajay,

Actually the Basis are planning to create a New Track because of the NWDI upgrade. I don't think it's a landscape upgrade.

Ajay, can I check with you that if they're really going to create a new track, I've a concern here. Because all the code change that I did is located in the current track. I have all the activities check-in and released. However, I am not sure when the new track is created, whether all the changes that I did earlier in the current can be deployed fully into the new track.

Can you give me your thoughts?

Sincerely,

SE