cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling WebI events auditing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using a BOE 3.1 SP2 installation on which the Auditing wasn't enabled at the installation.

I need to turn it on in order to save audit events from WebIntelligence rich client into the MySQL database, so this is what I did:

- activated auditing in the "applications" and "servers" tabs of CMC ;

- shut down CMS, configured audit database with MySQL settings and restart CMS.

However the boe120_audit database remains empty when I use WebI in a way that should generate audit events.

Question:

How can I check if the problem comes from the CMS not being able to reach the database or if I misconfigured something (like audit caching frequency)

Thanks in advance

Regards,

CF

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

are there tables created in the Audit DB or what do you mean with "empty"

Check the Universe and the connection for the Universe if it is OK.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer.

The database called boe120_audit already existed in the MySQL server, but since no events were added I dropped it. When I restart the CMS it recreates the schema but still doesn't fill any audit data (except the server_process and *_type tables).

Concerning the Activity universe, there might be something wrong since I cannot even import it in Universe Designer. It says that no universe file is associated to the InfoObject.

Regards,

CF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Corentin, there are several things you need to check....

-- auditing schema is created at installation. If it was not done, you can do a modified install to recreate those tables. Or if you are comfortable enough and know what you are doing, you can always create the tables manually by database scripts. If you create the tables manually, make sure you provide the schema owner login information to the system. The login account must have full permission to the schema. That's why you should use the schema owner account.

-- next thing to check: are the auditing checkboxes checked in CMC?

-- last but not least, auditing information are NOT written to the audit schema in real time. The information are stored in a log file and will be written to the schema when the system is not busy. So the update is not instantaneous.

Hope this helps.

-

If you are using the BusinessObjects tool, you should join [ASUG|www.asug.com]

Former Member
0 Kudos

1/ The CMS is able to write in the database since it recreates the schema when I manually drop it (and restart the CMS). The login account has full permissions on the auditing schema.

2/ The checkboxes related to the events I want to audit are all checked (see my first message) in the CMC.

3/ Where can I check if the log files you are talking about are actually created ? There's nothing about Auditing activity in the "Logging" directory. What is the "not busy" cirteria for the server to persist audit events, and can I configure it myself ?

As mentioned before, it seems there's a problem with the "Activity" universe, I cannot import it into Universe Designer to check if the connection works. Does the CMS needs to pass through this universe connection in order to write audit events ? And if it does, why is it able to (re)create the schema but not to fill it ?

The CMS startup command line has a value for the -loggingPath option. Should I add something similar for Auditing ?

Edited by: Corentin FOLLENFANT on Jul 26, 2010 10:11 AM

0 Kudos

Please try to start auditing on CMS server as well. And check ithe databse.

What is the error that you get while importing activity universe in designer ?

Edited by: Rahul Mainkar on Jul 26, 2010 12:04 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I enabled auditing for CMS server, manually dropped the database schema and restarted the CMS. Results:

- the schema is recreated as expected ;

- some text files with hash-like names are created into the Auditing folder ;

- after some time they get deleted and some events are added in the database.

However after using CMC and WebI rich client for half an hour (which should trigger tons of events) I get only 12 events (and the associated details) in the DB, all of type "concurrent logon" or "user logoff".

The error I get while trying to import the Activity universe in Universe Designer only says "There is no Universe file attached to the Universe InfoObject".

I also looked at the connection configured for this universe in the CMC, it's irrelevant: pointing to a MS SQL Server which has nothing to do with the Auditing datasource configured in Central Configuration Manager.

Answers (0)