cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing DTR via WebDAV Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

did anyone succeed in locking and writing to DTR via WebDAV?

I can read from DTR via WebDAV but I cannot lock, write or upload files. In theses cases I get bad request and permission denied errors. The user is the same as the user I´m using in NWDS where I can use all the functions.

I´ve tried Windows IE Explorer 6.0, Microsoft Word 2003, Open Office 2.0, WebDAV Plugin for jEdit and DAVExplorer 0.91. None of the clients work properly.

Below you see the log from DAVExplorer because this is most readable.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Helmut

========= Outbound Message =========

PROPFIND /dtr/ws/TEST/test.com__TEST_SC/dev/inactive/DCs/is.com/test/java/mymath/_comp/src/de/hts/test/MyMathBean.java HTTP/1.1

Host: server:50000

Connection: TE

TE: trailers, deflate, gzip, compress

User-Agent: UCI DAV Explorer/0.91 RPT-HTTPClient/0.3-3E

Depth: 0

Translate: f

Cookie: saplb_*=(J2EE3505900)3505950; JSESSIONID=(J2EE3505900)ID3505950DB15010670931523142694End

Cookie2: $Version="1"

Authorization: Basic SFRV8wMQ==

Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, compress, x-compress

Content-type: text/xml

Content-length: 124

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<A:propfind xmlns:A="DAV:">

<A:prop>

<A:lockdiscovery/>

</A:prop>

</A:propfind>

========= Inbound Message =========

HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status

Connection: close

Server: SAP J2EE Engine/6.40

Content-Language: en

Cache-Control: no-cache

Content-Type: text/xml; charset="UTF-8"

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:20:09 GMT

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><DAV:multistatus xmlns:x="http://xml.sap.com/2002/12/dtr/xcm" xmlns:DAV="DAV:"><DAV:response><DAV:href>/dtr/ws/TEST/test.com__TEST_SC/dev/inactive/DCs/is.com/test/java/mymath/_comp/src/de/hts/test/MyMathBean.java</DAV:href><DAV:propstat><DAV:prop><DAV:lockdiscovery></DAV:lockdiscovery></DAV:prop><DAV:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</DAV:status></DAV:propstat></DAV:response></DAV:multistatus>

========= Outbound Message =========

LOCK /dtr/ws/TEST/test.com__TEST_SC/dev/inactive/DCs/is.com/test/java/mymath/_comp/src/de/hts/test/MyMathBean.java HTTP/1.1

Host: server:50000

Connection: TE

TE: trailers, deflate, gzip, compress

User-Agent: UCI DAV Explorer/0.91 RPT-HTTPClient/0.3-3E

Timeout: Second-86400

Depth: infinity

Translate: f

Cookie: saplb_*=(J2EE3505900)3505950; JSESSIONID=(J2EE3505900)ID3505950DB15010670931523142694End

Cookie2: $Version="1"

Authorization: Basic SFV8wMQ==

Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, compress, x-compress

Content-type: text/xml

Content-length: 257

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<A:lockinfo xmlns:A="DAV:">

<A:locktype>

<A:write/>

</A:locktype>

<A:lockscope>

<A:exclusive/>

</A:lockscope>

<A:owner>

<A:href>DAV Explorer</A:href>

</A:owner>

</A:lockinfo>

========= Inbound Message =========

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

Connection: close

Server: SAP J2EE Engine/6.40

Content-Language: en

Cache-Control: no-cache

Content-Length: 0

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:20:12 GMT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

the problem is the "V" at the end of "WebDAV", which means "Versioning". The clients you mentioned in principle should be called "WebDA" clients (without the final "V"), because they do not support the versioning part of WebDAV (sometimes called DeltaV because it wa added later to the protocol). Like with most other version control systems (CVS, Subversion etc.) writing to a file requires to checkout the file from the repository first. So for write access you need a WebDAV/DeltaV client like the DTR plugin for Eclipse.

There is an optional feature in WebDAV called "auto-versioning" that allows to checkout/checkin files implicitly if one tries to upload a new content, but DTR does not support this yet. Auto-versioning tends to produce enormous amounts of versions (each time you press the save button in your office program) and is usually not very useful in development.

The LOCK command as far as I know generally is not supported.

Regards

Michael

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer but you are not absolutely right. Most of the clients I mentioned don´t support Delta-V but DAVExplorer definetly does and the jEdit Plugin also should support it (I´m not sure).

Any more ideas?

Regards Helmut

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

I want to bump the question. Problem is still actual and the requirement for flexible and configurable WebDAV client for accessing DTR is still alive. Have anybody found something during these 10 years?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

I can only guess: DAV Explorer supports linear versioning only (as they tell on the website). I suppose they apply the CHECKOUT/CHECKIN commands to the resources directly ("Checkout-in-place" feature of DeltaV). DTR in contrast applies the CHECKOUT method to certain versions in a (usually complex) version tree. Therefore it requires the client to support the WORKSPACE, ACTIVITY and WORKING RESOURCE features from the DeltaV protocol.

You may check in your logs what DAV Explorer sends: look for the CHECKOUT command and in the message body for the tag <apply-to-version>. If it is not there then DAV Explorer can not be used with DTR.

Regards

Michael

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

my idea was to use DTR for project dokumentation and save the documents into the same workspace as the sources. This should be done from Word, Open Office or any other documentation tool directly.

You clarified that this is not possible so I give up and hope that we get better possibilities to document our development especially for Web Dynpro in the future. The first time I asked the SAP colleagues for this is more than 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder that nobody else is missing this.

Regards

Helmut