cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print label landscape to zebra printer - text position wrong & overlapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a label that will print in landscape format. I'm creating my label as a smartform. I know from sap note 750772 that the only way I can print the label in landscape format is via command S_LZPL_SETUP '^FWR'.

This command works as in the label prints landscape but the text is appearing at the bottom of the landscape page rather than the top and the text is overlapping. I've put the text at the very top of the portrait page, if i put it anywhere else it doesn't even appear on the landscape output.

So my question is how do you lay out the form in portrait and get it t look right. Is there something I'm missing?

Have been working on this now for 2 days and I'm more than a little frustrated. So any guidance no matter how insignificant will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

Liz.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member185488
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

Did you make sure that your Basis Team has updated the correct ABAP driver for the respective Zebra Printer?

Regards,

Jegan Raj

0 Kudos

Hi,

I need your help, i am also trying to rotate a text along with its window. With the help of ^FWR i am able to rotate a text, but i want to rotate window using ^LRY but not succeed.

Could you please help me on this ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi LIZ,

I arrived at your thread while looking for additional guidance for landscape printing on zebra printers. I face exactly the same problem as you did. IS it possible for you to send me some examples from your exercise? It would help a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Toine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toine,

Poor you, I feel your pain!! It literally is a trial and error situation. But here are some tips that I have learned:

1. You design in portrait and then issue a command that will rotate everything 90 degrees so it will appear landscape. This is the command S_LZPL_SETUP '^FWR'

This has no effect on barcodes however as they are set to portrait/landscape in se73.

2. Each item you want output should be put in it's own window. This is so you can be absolutely sure of the position.

3. Start with one window and place that where you want it and work from there.

4. Moving a window UP in portrait causes it to move LEFT landscape.

Moving RIGHT portrait = moves UP landscape

Moving DOWN portrait = moves RIGHT landscape

Moving LEFT portrait = moves DOWN landscape

I do have examples that I would be happy to send onto you if you could send me your address.

Best of luck,

Liz.

Edited by: Liz O'Leary on Oct 14, 2010 10:18 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reaction. I would love to receive some examples. I cannot provide you with my details. SDN doesn't allow them to be included in threads. Seems to me that you would need to put the example in this thread.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Toine Thur

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is literally a trial and error situation.

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

We had some success with this. Did you make separate windows for each line of text and place the windows in this position in te smartform? i would try first with a simple example, just one window and build from there.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aidan,

Am doing seperate windows for each. Am only starting with 2 windows and am working from there. Am beginning to get a handle on how to place them.

Thanks a mill for your help,

Liz.

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

The ZPL-II command '^FWR' can turn single elements by 90 degrees. But only the fields are turned, not the complete page. So the positions of all fields must be re-calculated. You have to completely redefine your Smartform.

In the ZPL2 printer language there is no printer command, by which the complete print can be turned by 90°. Because this command does not exist, SAP cannot turn the complete print and therefore it cannot print in Landscape format with these device types. See note 750772 about this restriction.

You should define different windows with each text, where the upper left corners have the correct positions. Because it will be Landscape, the first window should start eg: at Line 1, Column 12, the second window should start at Line 1, Column 11, the third window should start at Line 1, Column 10 etc.

Then you should fill the texts into the Windows. The texts will overlap in the preview, because they are only turned during the print.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Aidan,

Firstly thanks a mill for the response. To say that this has been a nightmare would be an understatement.. Who'd have thunk just trying to print a label in landscape could cause so much bother!?!

Anyway, just wanted to ask you a couple of questions..

So say I want something to appear at the top of my landscape label, should i put it in the far top right of my portrait page? If I could just get the right starting point I'd be happy..

This is so annoying...

Thanks a mill,

Liz.

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

Yes, I think you need to put it at the top right in it's own window. The for the text below that you need to place it in another window

to the left of this and overlapping the first window.

The print preview will show the text overlapping if the print is going to be correct.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Aidan,

Thanks for the guidance. I tried putting it the top right corner but nothing appeared on the output.

I guess it's just a case of trial and error. Did putting it in the top right corner work for you before?

Many thanks,

Liz.