cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading R / 3 4.7 system to ECC6.0 with EHP4 along with windows 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am looking for your feedback about the plan for upgrading our Landscape to ECC 6. with EHP4 from R/34.7E.

Current Environment: R/3 4.7X110 with SQL 2000 in 32 bit windows 2003

Planning to upgrade to the level of : ECC6.0 with EHP4 64 bit windows 2008, SQL 2005 Database

Based on the previous experience in upgrade I have planned in the following ways.

Since my basis component is in the level of 63, its possible for me to restore the SQL 2000 database in SQL 2005 (Using System copy tool )

Step 1: Migration of OS / DB using system copy tool (R/3 4.7 with SQL 2005 in 64 bit Windows 2003 ), Then will leave the system for testing for some period and after the confirmation, planned to start the upgrade

Step 2: By meeting all the prerequisites, Planned to upgrade to ECC6.0 with EHP4 on the OS / DB upgraded system.

Step 3: Once the upgrade completed / With the confirmation from the functional and technical consultants, I planned to upgrade the windows 2003 to windows 2008 using system copy tool.

Note: I am not using SQL 2008 - Project decision.

The above mentioned plan is the only way(proper way) for doing such activities or is there any other way to shorten the project.

I should not ask the below question (Even after reading PAM and SAP note 1054740), But kindly regret me for asking this one, out of own curiosity, i am asking the below one.

1. Is there any possible to install SAP R / 3 4.7 in windows 2008 with 2005 (This will help me to shorten the project). I am completely aware that SAP wont support R/3 4.7 with windows 2008, if its not at all possible is there any other work around for me to shorten? Let me know your suggestions and thoughts

Your valuable inputs will help me to proceed further with the plans (I surfed the SDN and read master guides already) . I really want to make sure , the way which i am going is the right one.

Thanks and Regards

Vijay Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

Thanks for your post

Your understanding was correct

Copied from your logs

As per my upgrade experience, I would always prefer to upgrade OS first, then DB and then SAP application as it makes more compatibility with the latest releases of softwares

Yes, I would really like to do the same steps here as well as like you have proposed, But the worried Part is that R/3 4.7 will not support windows 2008 (Checked in PAM). Due to this reason, I thought of doing an DB Upgrade, SAP upgrade and then OS upgrade from 2003 to 2008.

In my understanding from your post

Step 1 :I Install 4.7 in windows 2008 with 2005 database(Unsure it is possible or not).

Step 2: SAP upgrade to ECC 6.0 with EHP4.

Am I right? and if yes is that possible?

Let me know your feedback

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Yes. You have got it right.

Again looking at PAM, its clear that SAP 4.7/ SQL 2005 is not supported on WIN2008.

But if you going with 4.7/SQL2005/WIN 2008 --> ECC6.0 EhP4/SQL 2005/WIN2008, then you would have to do only SAP upgrade using the SAP std docs.Here only one upgrade is required.

Now for 4.7/S2005/W2003 --> ECC EhP4/S2005/2008 -- One additional upgrade of WIN2008 will also be required.

I tried to locate the documentation for OS migration from WIN 2003 -->WIN 2008, but couldnt find anything:-), so if you planning for 2008 upgrade using WINDOWS techniques, not the SAP process, then I feel, you may landup in trouble afterwards, as you are aware too that WINDOS upgrade process will not able to take care of the Application data modification.

You can try both process, if you have extra hardware availiblity

Cheers

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

As you said , I will not do a windows upgrade techniques at any circumstance(Even II had a very bad experience by doing like that), I will stick only with the system copy method.

I think its useful to check the below link

So, I believe there is no other go than by following this steps

Step 1: Install SAP with 2005BB / windows 2003 in new hardware and will do a system copy(Export Import)

Step 2: SAP upgrade to ECC6.0 with EHP4

Step 3: OS upgrade from 2003 to 2008 using system copy(Export / Import).

Lets see if anyone have thoughts on this

Regards

Vijay

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

I have gone through the thread attached and keeping it in consideration your plan sounds good too.

So all the best and update me on completion of your upgrade....!!!

Upgrade problems are welcome too...

Cheers

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per your query you go as per SAP Upgrade guide and there are no issue will come in case you have any issue please mentioned error here.

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay,

Have you executed your plan ?

I have a doubt here..SAP R/3 4.7 is not supported on SQL 2005 ( It supports only SQL 2000). So can we upgrade DB first as per your plan ?

I think we will have to upgrade it to ECC 6.o first on SQL 2000 itself and then upgrade the DB

Thanks

Jitendra Tayal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

Hope you should check the PAM again , Its supported for sure and also for upgrading to EHP4 - SQL 2005 is the Prerequiste.

Hi Abhi and Others,

Thanks for all your support.

I have successfully completed the project for my landscape and it was a great success too.

As you all said, since I had the hardware availability and time frame as well. Hence, I have tried both the possibilities.

Note :I would prefer and stick with the SAP proposed and supported way and even for my project I have followed the same. So I would recommend to stick with SAP supported one.

But for the own technical interest I have tried the other option as well which is not supported by SAP and also faced some typical issues as well / but solved on my own with some tricks and other activities. So, this option is also possible but highly risked one and of course(more importantly) which is not supported by SAP. So, i would recommend to go with the SAP recommended way.

Thanks for everyone and I am closing the thread

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vijay,

I am also doing an upgrade of R/3 4.7 Ext. set 110/ Windows 2000/SQL 2000 32 Bit to ECC 6.0 EHP3/SQL 2008 R2/Windows 2008 R2.

As you have already tested that Kindly confirm if I can directly export from R/3 4.7 110 SQL 2000 and import on Windows 2008 R2/ SQL 2005 on 64 bit server ?

or Shall I do that on Windows 2003 Server first , Upgrade to ECC6.0 and then upgarde the OS to 2008 R2 as a last step ?

Please suggest

Thanks

Jitendra Tayal

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Let me re-phrase your plan with you...just to ensure we understood the plan in similar manner...

In the very first step you want to upgrade your DB, then you want to upgrade SAP Application with EhP4 and finally you want to upgrade OS. Let mw know, if I have quoted the same procedure, which you jotted in message? If not please help me out again...

As per my upgrade experience, I would always prefer to upgrade OS first, then DB and then SAP application as it makes more compatibility with the latest releases of softwares. Pls update.

Cheers

Abhi