cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error while taking MAX DB trans log backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am getting error while taking trans log backup of Maxdb database for archived log through data protector as below,

[Critical] From: OB2BAR_SAPDBBAR@ttcmaxdb "MAX" Time: 08/19/10 02:10:41

Unable to back up archive logs: no autolog medium found in media list

But i am able to take complete data and incremental backup through data protector.

I have already enabled the autolog for MAX DB database and it is writing that log file directly to HP-UX file system. Now i want to take backup of this archived log backup through data protector i.e. through trans log backup. So that the archived log which is on the file system after trans log backup completed will delete the archived logs in filesystem. So that i don;t have to manually delete the archived logs from file system.

Thanks,

Subba

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI there,

sorry but it's a bit cryptic what you wrote about

a) what you do have

b) what you want to do.

When you want to use the AUTOLOG feature, saving to the filesystem is the only option.

For that you need to have a backup medium/template for log backups that points to a filesystem location.

To save your backups in data protector you will need to create a separate backup medium/template that uses the external backup tool (via pipe).

You can then use the 'archive_stage' command to backup/delete the log backup files created by the autolog function.

BTW: why don't you check the new expert session "Backup/Recovery" [http://maxdb.sap.com/training/] and the [documentation|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/43/e0f23ab6b4317de10000000a11402f/content.htm] ?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the reply...

Now i am able to take archive log backup but the problem is i can take only one archive file backup. Not multiple arhive log files generated by autolog at filesystem i.e /sapdb/MAX/saparch.

I have enabled autolog and it is putting auto log file at unix directory i.e. /sapdb/MAX/saparch

And then i am using the DataProtector 6.11 with trans log backup to backup the archived files in /sapdb/MAX/saparch. When i start the trans backup session through data protector it uses the archive stage command as "archive_stage BACKDP-Archive LOGBackup NOVERIFY REMOVE" If /sapdb/MAX/saparch has only one archive file it will backup and remove the file successfully. But if /sapdb/MAX/saparch has multiple archive files it gives an error as below,

Preparing backup.

Setting environment variable 'BI_CALLER' to value 'DBMSRV'.

Setting environment variable 'BI_REQUEST' to value 'OLD'.

Setting environment variable 'BI_BACKUP' to value 'ARCHIVE'.

Constructed Backint for MaxDB call '/opt/omni/lbin/sapdb_backint -u MAX -f backup -t file -p SAPDB.13576.1283767878.par -i /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.

bsi_in -c'.

Created temporary file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out' as output for Backint for MaxDB.

Created temporary file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err' as error output for Backint for MaxDB.

Writing '/sapdb/data/wrk/MAX/dbm.ebf' to the input file.

Writing '/sapdb/data/wrk/MAX/dbm.knl' to the input file.

Prepare passed successfully.

Starting Backint for MaxDB.

Starting Backint for MaxDB process '/opt/omni/lbin/sapdb_backint -u MAX -f backup -t file -p SAPDB.13576.1283767878.par -i /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.

bsi_in -c >>/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out 2>>/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err'.

Process was started successfully.

Backint for MaxDB has been started successfully.

Waiting for the end of Backint for MaxDB.

2010-09-06 03:15:21 The backup tool is running.

2010-09-06 03:15:24 The backup tool process has finished work with return code 0.

Ended the waiting.

Checking output of Backint for MaxDB.

Have found all BID's as expected.

Have saved the Backup History files successfully.

Cleaning up.

Removing data transfer pipes.

Removing data transfer pipe /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 ... Done.

Removed data transfer pipes successfully.

Copying output of Backint for MaxDB to this file.

-

Begin of output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out)----

#SAVED 1009067:1 /sapdb/data/wrk/MAX/dbm.ebf

#SAVED 1009067:1 /sapdb/data/wrk/MAX/dbm.knl

-

End of output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out)----

Removed Backint for MaxDB's temporary output file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out'.

Copying error output of Backint for MaxDB to this file.

-

Begin of error output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err)----

-

End of error output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err)----

Removed Backint for MaxDB's temporary error output file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err'.

Removed the Backint for MaxDB input file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_in'.

Have finished clean up successfully.

The backup of stage file '/export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.040' was successful.

2010-09-06 03:15:24

Backing up stage file '/export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.041'.

Creating pipes for data transfer.

Creating pipe '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1' ... Done.

All data transfer pipes have been created.

Preparing backup tool.

Setting environment variable 'BI_CALLER' to value 'DBMSRV'.

Setting environment variable 'BI_REQUEST' to value 'OLD'.

Setting environment variable 'BI_BACKUP' to value 'ARCHIVE'.

Constructed Backint for MaxDB call '/opt/omni/lbin/sapdb_backint -u MAX -f backup -t file -p SAPDB.13576.1283767878.par -i /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_

in -c'.

Created temporary file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out' as output for Backint for MaxDB.

Created temporary file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err' as error output for Backint for MaxDB.

Writing '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 #PIPE' to the input file.

Prepare passed successfully.

Constructed pipe2file call 'pipe2file -d file2pipe -f /export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.041 -p /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 -nowait'.

Starting pipe2file for stage file '/export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.041'.

Starting pipe2file process 'pipe2file -d file2pipe -f /export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.041 -p /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 -nowait >>/var/tmp/tem

p1283767880-0 2>>/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1'.

Pipe2file has been started successfully.

Starting Backint for MaxDB.

Starting Backint for MaxDB process '/opt/omni/lbin/sapdb_backint -u MAX -f backup -t file -p SAPDB.13576.1283767878.par -i /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_

in -c >>/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out 2>>/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err'.

Backint for MaxDB has been started successfully.

Waiting for end of the backup operation.

2010-09-06 03:15:25 The backup tool process has finished work with return code 2.

2010-09-06 03:15:25 The backup tool is not running.

2010-09-06 03:15:25 Pipe2file is running.

2010-09-06 03:15:25 Pipe2file is running.

2010-09-06 03:15:30 Pipe2file is running.

2010-09-06 03:15:40 Pipe2file is running.

2010-09-06 03:15:55 Pipe2file is running.

2010-09-06 03:16:15 Pipe2file is running.

Killing not reacting pipe2file process.

Pipe2file killed successfully.

2010-09-06 03:16:26 The pipe2file process has finished work with return code -1.

The backup operation has ended.

Filling reply buffer.

Have encountered error -24920:

The backup tool failed with 2 as sum of exit codes and pipe2file was killed.

Constructed the following reply:

ERR

-24920,ERR_BACKUPOP: backup operation was unsuccessful

The backup tool failed with 2 as sum of exit codes and pipe2file was killed.

Reply buffer filled.

Cleaning up.

Removing data transfer pipes.

Removing data transfer pipe /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 ... Done.

Removed data transfer pipes successfully.

Copying output of Backint for MaxDB to this file.

-

Begin of output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out)----

-

End of output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out)----

Removed Backint for MaxDB's temporary output file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_out'.

Copying error output of Backint for MaxDB to this file.

-

Begin of error output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err)----

-

End of error output of Backint for MaxDB (/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err)----

Removed Backint for MaxDB's temporary error output file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_err'.

Removed the Backint for MaxDB input file '/var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.bsi_in'.

Copying pipe2file output to this file.

-

Begin of pipe2file output (/var/tmp/temp1283767880-0)----

-

End of pipe2file output (/var/tmp/temp1283767880-0)----

Removed pipe2file output '/var/tmp/temp1283767880-0'.

Copying pipe2file error output to this file.

-

Begin of pipe2file error output (/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1)----

-

End of pipe2file error output (/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1)----

Removed pipe2file error output '/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1'.

The backup of stage file '/export/sapdb/arch/MAX_LOG.041' was unsuccessful.

2010-09-06 03:16:26

Cleaning up.

Have encountered error -24919:

Can not remove file '/var/tmp/temp1283767880-0'.

(System error 2; No such file or directory)

Could not remove temporary output file of pipe2file ('/var/tmp/temp1283767880-0' ).

Have encountered error -24919:

Can not remove file '/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1'.

(System error 2; No such file or directory)

Could not remove temporary output file of pipe2file ('/var/tmp/temp1283767880-1' ).

Thanks,

Subba

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now i am able to take archive log backup but the problem is i can take only one archive file backup. Not multiple arhive log files generated by autolog at filesystem i.e /sapdb/MAX/saparch.

>

> I have enabled autolog and it is putting auto log file at unix directory i.e. /sapdb/MAX/saparch

>

> And then i am using the DataProtector 6.11 with trans log backup to backup the archived files in /sapdb/MAX/saparch. When i start the trans backup session through data protector it uses the archive stage command as "archive_stage BACKDP-Archive LOGBackup NOVERIFY REMOVE" If /sapdb/MAX/saparch has only one archive file it will backup and remove the file successfully. But if /sapdb/MAX/saparch has multiple archive files it gives an error as below,

It's correct that you can only archive one log backup at a time.

The reason for that is that there is a 1:1 relationship between the log backup file and the external backup id.

To be able to restore any log backup from the external backup tool every backup needs it's own external backup id.

Therefore you've to call archive_stage once for every log backup.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Once again thanks for the reply...

I want to know then how to manage automatically the log generating due to autolog enabled at file system i.e. /sapdb/MAX/saparch.

Is there any SAP recommendation on how to take the backup of archive generated?

As currently we are using oracle database and planning for migration to MAXDB database. As in oracle we are using archive backup feature to take backup of all archive files generated almost 4 times a day.

I want to manage this archive backup generated in MAXDB automatically i.e. schedule data protector backup session or any other interface...?

Therefore you've to call archive_stage once for every log backup -- How to call archive_stage for every log automatically? And from where to call i..e data protector or DBM...?

And aslo is there any other alternate way to take backup of multiple archive log files generated by autolog at filesystem i.e /sapdb/MAX/saparch?

Thanks,

Subba

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Lars,

> Once again thanks for the reply...

> I want to know then how to manage automatically the log generating due to autolog enabled at file system i.e. /sapdb/MAX/saparch.

> Is there any SAP recommendation on how to take the backup of archive generated?

Well, we (SAP) just recommend to implement and test a backup strategy that works for you.

How exactly this is done, always depends on your situation.

But to give you a guideline, I can tell you that most customers who use external backup tools, usually schedule log backups to the external tool several times a day and resort to autolog and archive_stage in between only to cover up unexpected data change activity.

Therefore: schedule the following pattern e.g. twice a day:

1. deactivate autolog,

2. take log backup to external tool

3. activate autolog.

Ideally, in this setup autolog never has to write out a log backup.

> As currently we are using oracle database and planning for migration to MAXDB database. As in oracle we are using archive backup feature to take backup of all archive files generated almost 4 times a day.

Forget about your Oracle backup techniques!

This is a different DBMS that requires different ways of administration.

> I want to manage this archive backup generated in MAXDB automatically i.e. schedule data protector backup session or any other interface...?

Why not schedule in DB13?

> Therefore you've to call archive_stage once for every log backup -- How to call archive_stage for every log automatically? And from where to call i..e data protector or DBM...?

>

> And aslo is there any other alternate way to take backup of multiple archive log files generated by autolog at filesystem i.e /sapdb/MAX/saparch?

Argh - sorry - I made a mistake.

You can infact archive multiple log files at once.. just check the docu on that!

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I gone through the document but i am not able to find any help to resolve the problem of taking backup of multiple archive log files at once.

Please find the error log as below when i try to take backup through data protector trans backup,

2010-09-10 03:53:24 0x00002ddc INF 216 DBMSrv DBM Server client connection (established at 2010-09-10 03:53:24): PID 11738 on computer sapmaxdb

2010-09-10 03:53:24 0x00002ddc INF 283 DBMSrv command dbm_configset -raw...

2010-09-10 03:53:25 0x00002ddc INF 283 DBMSrv command medium_put BACKDP-Archive/1 /var/opt/omni/tmp/MAX.BACKDP-Archive.1 PIPE LOG 0 8 NO NO \"\" BACK

2010-09-10 03:53:25 0x00002ddc INF 283 DBMSrv command archive_stage BACKDP-Archive LOGBackup NOVERIFY REMOVE

2010-09-10 04:01:11 0x00002ddc ERR -24920 DBMSrv ERR_BACKUPOP: backup operation was unsuccessful

0x00002ddc ERR -24778 DBMSrv The backup tool failed with 2 as sum of exit codes and pipe2file was killed.

2010-09-10 04:01:11 0x00002ddc INF 226 DBMSrv DBM Server client disconnected: PID 11738 on computer sapmaxdb

Please let me know how to resolve this error.

Thanks,

Subba

0 Kudos

Hi SubbaRao ,

Did you find solution to this problem. We are also having issue with same .

Thank you