cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing hostname of SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are working on migrating our SAP systems to iASP's and virtual hostnames. I've done some research on changing the hostname of the SAP system in SM51 and the hostname of the gateway, but I haven't found anything on SAP systems that are running on the iSeries. We have multiple SAP systems installed on one LPAR and want each system to have it's own hostname in case we move that system to another LPAR. This way we won't have to change the hostname again and change all the connections from other systems that the system is connected to.

How do we change the hostname in SM51 and how to we change the default gateway hostname? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale DIngmann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

I don't understand

do you want migrate the sap system to other host?? or do you want change hostname to host without have issues with sap system?

William Neira

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to have the host name set so that if we move the system in the future to another LPAR with a different hostname, that we don't have to change any other connections to that system and only have to change our DNS server to point to the new IP address.

If the SAP system's hostname in DNS is hostname1 and the LPAR hostname is LPARHost1, we are going to use hostname1 to access the system from all other connections. However, when looking at SM51 and the default gateway hostname say LPARHost1.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Dale Dingmann

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, now I understood

Well, the sapsystem contain parameters into profile, the message server and gateway ports are unique, and if you change the sap system to other LPAR the sapsystem don't start. In this case you must change profile and RFC connection.

Remember that hardware key and license is with the hostname when sapsystem run. I think that can't do it.

I'm sorry, i can't help you in your issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

read this notes as well:

Note 8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

Note 403708 - Changing an IP address

Note 574310 - iSeries : specific actions when renaming DB host

Note 1148480 - IBM i: Known Issues with V6R1Mx

Good luck!

Antonio

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Dale,

did you see SAP Notes 568820 and 1152408? They explain the installation on IBM i with independent ASP and the usage of a virtual host name. Since the (virtual) host name is used in a variety of places, you should follow the documented procedures when installing an SAP system with a virtual host name.

Kind regards,

Christian Bartels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have a look at the [SAP Note|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=8307].

This may be helpful for you in ur case.

Regards,

Varadharajan M