cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOXI R2 SP5: Could not initialize Report Engine server. (Error: RWI 00226)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need help in identifying what are possible causes for the error "Could not initialize Report Engine server. (Error: RWI 00226)" and if there are any permanent solution to it aside from restarting the WEBI Server inside CCM everytime error occur.

It happens quite frequently. Whenever the error appears, i would check inside CCM and the WEBI Report Server is green and looks fine. There are no errors related that are logged inside the Event Viewer. When i restart the WEBI Report Server inside CCM, it resolves the error.

I've checked the Path Key and it looks fine. Checked server memory, its fine too.

I need to know what could be causing it to occur so oftenly and are there any permanent solution to it?

We are using BOXI R2 SP5.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

What you are doing is exactly correct.

This is a common and often annoying error that can occur when trying to create or open a document in SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence.

When opening or creating a new Web Intelligence document, the following error message might surprise you:

An error has occurred: Could not initialize Report Engine server. (Error: RWI 00226)

Now, SAP has a few steps that they pretty much force you to go through before they begin to tell you the actual solution, so let's run through those now.

-

Step 1

Open up the Central Configuration Management and browse through all the BusinessObjects servers. If the Web Intelligence Processing Server is not running, make sure you start it up. If it is disabled, make sure you enable it.

Step 2

If that does not fix the problem, open up the Central Management Console (CMC) and navigate to the list of BusinessObjects servers. Again, if the CMC reports that the Web Intelligence Processing Server is either stopped or disabled, start it and enable it, respectivley.

-

Okay, now that we did all that u2014 if the problem is fixed, give yourself a pat on the back. If the problem is still there, read on.

One of the common causes of this problem deals with a Windows registry key being overridden by other SAP BusinessObjects software being installed after BusinessObjects Enterprise was installed.

-

Step 1

Open up the Windows Registry by clicking on Start --> Run and typing in regedit. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Business Objects\Suite 11.5\Enterprise\InstallRoot

Step 2

Find the Path key and check its value. If its value does not point to the BusinessObjects Enterprise installation directory, change it to point to it.

-

Now you might wonder why the registry key might be wrong. Like mentioned earlier, other SAP BusinessObjects related software might have modified it during their installation process.

And alternatively,

In Task Manager: Processes: WebI ******* service is running(taking much CPU memory), just End the task.

Hope you got it.

Thank You!!

Sent from iPhone

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that info.

I noticed that i have been receiving warning messages in Event Viewer regarding "Transport error: Invalid object reference." from "Source: BusinessObjects_wireportserver". Is it possible that the inconsistency of the webi report server was caused by that warning message? Would you know what does the warning mean and if there is a way for me to trace what is causing the warning?

thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

This issue is there in BO XI 3.x versions also.

Is it occuring only when opening few WebI reports or for all?? If few, check how much huge data it's carrying??

Check datasources also.

I used to do: Start Task Manager:

Processes == WebI ***********.exe, just end that task.

Which is simple and no need to go and restart servers. (You have to do it on Server machine) I saw, SP2/SP3 will fixed this issue.(BO XI 3.1)

Thank You!!

Sent from iPhone

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The root cause of this error is that something has happend to the Webi processing server and it no longer communicates with the rest of BOE components.

This might happen due to following :

1. a bug, so solution is to be on the latest SP/FP combination

2. A poorly designed report has crashed WIRS - re-design report

3. WIRS has crashed due to too much load - do a sizing exersise /add more WIRS

4. There is a networking issue in the cluster or between BOE and the client

5. Session has timed out - review timeouts

6. There is not enough resources (cpu/memory) on the server to handle all the webi processing load. - add more CPU/memory...

7. Improper windows DEP settings are causing WIRS to crash - disable DEP

etc...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. Its very helpful.

Where can i find the latest FP/SP for BOXI R2?

How can i review the Timeouts? where can i see them?

How can i Disable the DEP?

We already have 2 WEBI Report Servers in CCM, both of them would go down. Does it mean i need to add another one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

here you go,

Where can i find the latest FP/SP for BOXI R2?

>> In Control Panel ==>> Add/Remove Programs

How can i review the Timeouts? where can i see them?

>> In web.xml file

We already have 2 WEBI Report Servers in CCM, both of them would go down. Does it mean i need to add another one?

>> Not required (per my understanding), If you really have long running reports, which has larger amount of data and lots of Users, then obviously you can.

Meanwhile, you can , Start Task Manager ==>> There one .exe is running with name of Web***** , End that task.

Thank You!!

Sent from iPhone

Former Member
0 Kudos

luluzkie,

Do you have tracing turned on for your Webi Report Server? Is there anything interesting in the logs?

Also, the timeout Denis mentioned are the Webi Report Server timeouts and not App Server timeouts. Webi Report Server timeouts can be viewed/changed via the CMC. The timeouts in web.xml are not relevant.

Finally, as far as the Transport error: Invalid object reference messages are concerned:

These are essentially warning messages from the Corba layer indicating temporary communication failures between the reporting source (Webi RS in your case) and the CMS. While these can usually be safely ignored, they could be an indication of a larger problem.

Best,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks BOCP-BOE . I was able to view taht article too.

Are there any other possible cause for the error? so i can prevent it from happenning again and again...It's quite unpredictable. Is there any activities that needs to be watched-out to prevent the error to happen again?

thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look on:

ADAPT00599964 Patch ID: 38,690,109

Description:

When editing a Web Intelligence report and adding a column in the Report panel, the following error appears: "Your web

intelligence session has timed out. Log out and Log in again to InfoView. (Error: WIJ 77778)."

If users attempt to add a column again, a different error message is displayed: "Could not initialize Report Engine Server

(Error: RWI 00226) (Error:INF)"

The cause of the problem is that WIReportServer fails when generating a core file.

New Behavior:This problem is resolved.

This problem can also be fixed by installing CHF 1.

Hope it should works out.

Thank You!!

Sent from iPhone