I've been running Crystal Reports 2008 for over a year on Windows 7 Professional. About 2 weeks ago I went to modify a report template and got the message "Crystal Reports has Stopped Working", before I could load any report template.
To my knowledge nothing has changed on my computer, Visual Studio 2008 runs fine and Crystal works fine on other machines in the office.
I uninstalled both Crystal 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 Basic Crystal and deleted the C:\Program FIles\Crystal Reports and C:\Program Files\Business Objects folders. Then reinstalled the Crystal Reports 2008 SP3 full install. I get the same result.
After the error box pops up I'm asked if I want to Debug, so I answerred yes and went into Visual Studio 2008.
The unhandled exception is from crw32.exe (188.8.131.521) at 0x76F00E79 address 0xC00000FD Stack overfolw
Other modules in the call stack are:
Please can you help me with this one please?
Many thanks in advance for any help!
My guess; a virus...
You may also want to use the [Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip] utility and try to determine the actual offending dll by looking up the memory address.
Something simular is happening to alot of people and it seems to be related to windows updates. Look at:
The first thread suggested a solution, which I tried and it worked just fine.
As suggested the problem appears to be related to accessing the internet. I'm including the solution here for others.
I got my Crystal Reports working. The issue is related to the bottom half of the Start Page that loads HTML pages. For whatever reason, the html couldn't be completed loaded successfully. So to get rid of this I had to use the offline start page for Crystal. To do this I did the following:
- Went to C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Business Objects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\Start Page\en.
- Renamed 'start.html' to 'start_old.html'
- Changed the file name for 'offlinestart.html' to 'start.html'
Restarted Crystal Reports.
Thanks to your help.
Great news! I found a fix that worked for Windows 7 and Crystal Reports 10, when Crystal Reports stops working after trying to insert a field. (sharing from another forum): When I drag and drop fields from the field explorer to the report the whole application just freezes. Then an error message says Crystal Reports has stopped working - Windows is checking for a solution. Once you press the cancel option [the only option] the application shuts down. Have un-installed re-installed with no luck.
(1) First I did this, but it did not resolve the problem (including it here because it may have contributed):
You have to go to the System properties applet in Control Panel, click on the Data Execution Prevention tab, and turn off Data Execution Prevention for Crystal Reports. <then I restarted the computer and tried again>
(2_ Here is what finally worked: I set Compatibility mode on "crw32.exe" to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Right-click on C:\Program Files (x86)\Crystal Decisions\Crystal Reports 10\crw32.exe (or wherever crw32.exe is installed). Select Properties, Compatibility tab. Check the Compatibility mode box and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and click Apply.