cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad / mini notebook

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I recently came across the coffee corner forum and find it interesting, so started going through the discussions whenever i find time at my coffee break.

I just wanted to know your openion about what I have specified in the subject line.

As many of you might travel becasue of your work or vacation, what do you think the better option to watch films / surfing internet while travelling ? it should be like easy to carry, so i find two possibilities one is Ipad, other one is sleek, tiny notebook (11 inches i guess)

any inputs?

Have a nice coffee day

Sats

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the inputs. though mini notebook seems to be a good option I'm not able to take my attention out of Ipad because of its applications, resolution and etc etc. I would wait until Xmas/New year to see if I get any deals

hope apple wont launch any other new product like I TV meantime to distract my attention

Have fun

Sats

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anton and Eric for your inputs.

In your case it was easy to choose I neither like to work while traveling especially SAP stuff nor using my office notebook for watching films. I prefer to work only at office, sometimes at home if needed. I travel on weekends and the mode of transport most of the times is train. So Iu2019m looking out for something which is solely for entertainment purpose. I should either buy a personal mini note book or go for Ipad. I guess the main difficulty with Ipad is typing if at all I use it for chat messengers. (though an external keyboard option is possible - which I dont prefer)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would also use a mini laptop... but with an HDMI output. So, I can use it as a media player on my HD TV at home.

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I would also use a mini laptop... but with an HDMI output. So, I can use it as a media player on my HD TV at home.

Well I am Curious to Know Why people So curious about High Definition Television Channel!!

I saw my friend is Having HD laptop, But Not impressed so much as what he said earlier

Regards

Sas

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, if you go from a standard TV to an 1080p HDTV, you will understand what it brings in image quality.

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You Increasing the Curiosity But in India I believe Its still not launched yet...Will update if Its launches

Sas

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is already here

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

As a person who grew up with black and white TV received via rabbit ear antennas when contrasting them to today's large format HDTVs, I can tell you there is no comparison. In fact, with my larger sets (36 inch and 55 inch), I find it almost annoying to watch the non-HDTV channels as the resolution is so bad. You don't notice it as much on the smaller sets like 22 inches or smaller, but the image is quite blurry on the larger sets. Luckily, Verizon Fios has lots of HD versions of the major network channels and subscription channels.

As to the original question, I would go with the mini notebook. I like the size, have no problem with the keyboard - in fact I like it better as the keys are not as far recessed as on full size ones with touchpads, and I can read the screen provided I have my old man bifocals on. When my wife's Dell died (don't get me started on that), I tried to talk her in to getting one but she complained about the screen size. We tried out several. I liked the little Sony Vaio best (even came in pink which I tried to point out to her as an advantage).

The ipad is getting a lot of publicity (in SAP as well) but seems mostly useful for people who want to hold on to a device while making a presentation. They aren't tied to a podium with a laptop and can read and respond to feedback channels set up live during the presentation. That is likely not to be as easy even with a mini notebook.

It really depends on what you need to do. I don't do live presenations and found the Ipad sort of annoying in terms of having to switch around the keyboard and display. I have a Mac Powerbook and found it to be a lot more intuitive in terms of operation than the Ipad. I suppose I could force myself to get used to the Ipad if someone was to give me one as a present

Former Member
0 Kudos

pretty easy for me: I'd go with the subnotebook, because I don't only use it for entertainment purposes but also use it for work, e.g. programming a little bit, preparing presentations and stuff and I want to view resources I have on other media like SDCard or USB Stick. last but not least I do not like the apple philosophy of patronizing me what content I am allowed to consume and what not.

my 2 cents,

anton