cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal 2008 SQL OLE DB (ADO) connectivity errors to SQL Server 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not able to get Crystal 2008 connected to my SQL2008 database using OLE DB (ADO). I have created the connection using the wizard -

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

specify server instance, login, password, and database name

Finish from the Advanced Information screen with no change

When I then try to get to the list of tables/views, once I click on dbo, I get the following:

Not implemented

Details: ADO Error Code: 0x800a0cb3

Source: ADODB.Connection

Description: Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation

I am not sure if this is a Crystal thing or a SQL Server thing. Does anyone have ideas for me? Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually figured it out this morning. My database named contained a . character and Crystal was not treating it properly. I renamed my database to not have the . in the name and it now works fine.

0 Kudos

Good to see you found the cause. Word of advice.... Never use Shift characters or periods in names in any database. It makes them look nice but most DB's don't allow those reserved characters and most programs can't handle them. It's just safer to use standard characters only. Spaces can cause problems also.

Periods are always used as delimiters as you noticed.... Database.Owner.table

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

It should work. Install Service Pack 3 and test again. Or minimum of SP 2 and Fix Pack 2.6.

When connecting now select the Native SQL Driver or if you installed the MS SQL Server 2008 Client tools you can also use the MS SQL Native 10 driver.

Thank you

Don