cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't resolve strongly report class at design time

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have VS 2010 Pro, I added the CR download in September and was able to create reports with no problems. Yesterday CR designer stopped working, I'm unable to add a new report. When I try from the CR viewer I get this error "Error invoking crystal reports..." Details: Can't resolve strongly report class at design time.

If I try to use the "Add new item" for the project menu in VB.Net, it opens up the download window. I've downed Crystal Report for VS 2010 several time, but on change.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled VS 2010. I tried to uninstall all refernce to "CR for VS2010" but some of them with an install date of 9/18/2010 wouldn't. There still listed in the uninstall programs window. But there is no "size" listed. There is a second copy of the download listed with todays date.

This is a Windows 7 home Premium 64bit system.

I have VS2010 and VS2005 installed( the 2005 CR is still working).

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but after the problem started if I went to the "Add New Item" in my VB.Net 2010 project there many "Crystal Report" items listed. But they were Greman, Chinese, Portugese ..., but no English. I had to completely uninstall VS 2010 to fix that problem.

Don't know what to do now, I'm out of ideas???

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Wesley,

Don't use the old beta builds, uninstall everything and download the RTM build. Your project references will be version 13.x now.

Be sure to uninstall the beta first, do not apply the RTM build over top of the beta install.

It was beta, you may have to clean/wipe your beta test machine and start over.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Don,

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the Crystal Reports for VS 2010 RTM download. The only download I've found are at this link

http://www.businessobjects.com/jump/xi/crvs2010/us2_default.asp

These are the files I downloaded and installed

SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010

SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (64-bit)

Also, what do you mean by "clean/wipe your beta test machine and start over"? Do you mean do a complete Windows reinstall. That would cost me several days of work to reinstall and reconfigure all the different software I have on this machine.

As for uninstalling the CR software, I have these three listings,

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 Installed On: 9/18/2010 Version: 1.0.0

SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 -Redist(32 bit) Installed On: 9/18/2010 Version: 1.0.0

SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 -Redist64bit) Installed On:11/15/2010 Version: 1.0.0

The first two with the Install date of 9/18/2010 will not uninstall.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited by: wesley Ed on Nov 16, 2010 4:01 AM

0 Kudos

Ok,

I'm getting closer. I was able to uninstall all CR 4 VS 2010 Beta references except, "SAP Crystal Reports fro Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 - Redist (32)".

I found CRforVS2010_13_0.exe and was able to install it. But there are still major prolems.

I can add a new Blank Report with no problems, but if I try to add a new report using the "Report Wizard" or try to use the "Database Expert" it locks up and I have to use the Task Manager to close VB .Net. Do I need to install or add these components to my project?

When I try to use the "database Expert" an errro message pops up, "External component has thrown an exception" then it's all locked up.

I can't find any information on this. Any help would be appriciated, Thanks

Edited by: wesley Ed on Nov 16, 2010 10:36 AM

0 Kudos

Well, I managed to uninstall the "SAP Crystal reports for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 - Redist(32)". I went to the registry and removed it.

I then uninstalled all CR 4 VS2010 programs and then reinstalled them.

Same problem, no change.

Help!!

0 Kudos

Don,

I've been researching the posts in this forum. It seems your saying that a machine can only have VS 2010 installed and no other version of Visual studio. Also that only CR for VS 2010 can be installed and no other version, like CR for .Net Framework 2.0.

Is this true? If so, that means I need a seperate machine to do my VS 2010 developing if I want to use CR. Is SAP planning to fix this problem? I'm sure I'm not the only small busines person who has many clients with applications that they maintain that were developed in various versions of VS and having seperate machines would be a hardship.

Any information would be appriciated.

0 Kudos

Hello,

No, and yes.... Beta would only support standalone installs. RTM build should allow side by side installs. But we found a few issues with this and we are hoping they get fixed ASAP or at least for SP1 due out in 3 months but that can change....

SO yes you can have other versions installed with the RTM build and NO you can't because of registry ID issues.

CR 2010 supports 1.1 to 4.0 framework, there are no other versions of CR that are supported in VS 2010 other than CR for VS 2010.

You should be able to have VS 2008 and VS 2010 installed on the same PC as well as CR 2008 and CR 2010. Just we cautious of the assembly version you are using.

Also, as a possible hack work around unregister crqe.dll version 12.x by using regsvr32 \...\crqe.dll located in the CR 2008 folder structure. Don't know if this will completely work but may get you further for developing. As for distrbution I have not tested it but likely it needs to be standalone for now until we fix the side by side problem.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Don,

Thanks for the information. Lucky I'm in no rush to start my report development on this project. The strange thing is I was able to create CR reports in my VB.Net 2010 up until a couple a days ago. I had dowmloaded the CR embeeded module about 9/18/2010.

I unregistering the crqe.dll but it didn't help my problem. It was worth a shot. I may try uninstalling my VS 2005 and CR for .Net Framework 2.0 and see if that helps.

Do I need to install the SAP CR runtime engine for .Net framework 4 (32-bit) and SAP CR runtime engine for .Net framework 4 (34-bit) and SAP CR for Visual Studio 2010.

I'm using Window 7 Home premium, VB 2005, VS 2010

Thanks again

0 Kudos

Hello,

This is the wrong redist package: "I had dowmloaded the CR embeeded module about 9/18/2010."

The RTM build has links and has the updated ones.

You do not need to install the runtime modules on your development PC.

Weird that it worked until a couple of days ago. What changed?

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Don,

I completely uninstalled VS 2005 and all CR reference. Then I installed CR for VS 2010. Still doesn't work.

I think I'll just give up on CR 2010 until SP1 is released. I hope I don't have to learn "rdlc", lol.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Try doing a repair install of VS 2010, it should "clean up" any left over problems of un-installing.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Don,

I've already reinstalled VS 2005. But when CR for VS 2010 SP1 comes out I'll try again. Right now I must keep VS 2005 up and running so I can give customer support. I'm using VS 2010 only in development and testing, I have no istalled VS 2010 apps at clients.

Thanks for all the information you provided, I'll tackle this problem again at a later date.

Answers (0)