cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Solution manager integration with QTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we were plaanning to bring in a end to end integration SAP testing with QTP.

While in that process we got the following options with solution manager.

1. using SAP TAO 2.0.

2. using ECATT.

While doing the analysis got the following questions.

1. If we plan to implement SAP TAO, got to know that it requires License.

1.1 what is the procedure to get the Demo license and if possible cost details for the demo license.

1.2 Is it best to with SAP TAO or ECATT will suffice our requirement(i.e bringing in a End to End scenario of integration testing- Automation).

2. If we plan to use ECATT, i read that we need to enable scripting and then make the third party tool in ECUST table.

my doubt is isthis setting is to be done in solution manager or the ECC server where the testing is performed.

if it is the ECC server why do we need to bring solution manager into picture.

3. Do we got some reporting funationality, like we have in QC about which test casees being passed or failed...or some kind of log where the test has failed.

kindly share your experiences...It will make a lot of difference to me.

Thanks and Regards,

Subhashini.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

we tried executing from a ECC system and the integration worked perfectly....

then we got an error in OLE....

then by entering an entry in sOLE transaction for the automation....the integration worked out well...

SAP_APPL is not required....

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs...

I hope I'll post a query very soon for TAO...request your guidance...

Thanks,

Subhashini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a good news. no problem you can reach me any time .

Good luck.

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subha,

i know this thread is really old, but maybe you are still active.

we are trying to use qtp via solman too. but everytime i try to launch qtp from solman, i get the message: error on calling method in ole api. it seems that you had the same problem. how did you solve it? and which entry did you made in sole? (i cant find the registry in the regedit of solman.)

i´m trying to fix it now for over a week, but it still doesnt works.

thanks and best regards

ersin

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Plz suggest for the error script failed to start the external QTP test tool

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Thanks for your reply....

The main reason we wanted to use ECATT...is it does not involve any license.

Since ECATT is aleaready available with solution manager...we wanted to use that possiblity...

if we have to go in for SAP TAO means..we have to get the user based license....

Now we are doing a POC in which we are taking into count both the possiblities.

And as per your suggestions we have made all the settings.....

and regarding the limitation you have mentioned in eCATT, we are calling QTP , in QTP only we are recording the script and executing it.

The problem is solman does not have SAP_APPL component without which QTP is not getting started.....

CAn we install SAP_APPL component in solman system.

Kindly advice.

Thanks,

Subhashini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Understood Subha but just want to clarify SAP TAO is not a user based license..as many as client installations you can do once you buy . For validating license you just need solman (SMD) user ID that's all other than that you don't need to have any separate license.

But you need a BPT license for QC in order to work on SAP TAO for only multiple users because will share RTL (SAP TAO) libraries to users.

Coming to your question , I am sorry I donu2019t know much about the roles in Solman ..why donu2019t you contact SAP

Good luck.

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Subha - you know try in ECC side - ECC, eCATT & QTP see it works ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram.

Thanks for your inputs.

Solman has been integrated with ECATT functionality.

Currently, we tried useing ECATT QTP integration using solution manager. as all the BPML and testmanagement is performed using solution manager.

The testing part from QTP to solution manager is working fine.

But we were unable to performe the testing of QTP from solution manager.

While checking we found that SAP_APPL component which is necassary for the integration does not present in solution manager.

Is this component mandatory in Solution manager kindly let us know your views.

Actually QTP is not starting from solution manager. If we implement this will we be able to work with the integration. kindly guide.

Thanks ,

Subhashini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subha,

Yesterday I have checked there is an option in QTP for eCATT but for this I am not understanding why do you we need solman ?

Any way....see as I told you earlier eCATT is not a recommended tool to go for Automation..There are some challenges with that tool (example - if you want to automate to change the line item in PO level, its very challenge. As you know that to get the line item number and change it through eCATT is not possible as far as I know. Why I am giving an example is if PO has 100 line items if I want to unlock and change the material..Itu2019s very challenge..it's just an example so what I mean to say is it's a not a recommended tool to go for Automation.

My suggestion is when you have QC, QTP, BPT, Solman why don't you go for SAP TAO ...& it's a very nice tool for Automation you don't need any strong QTP skills required for this if you have you can create your own components likeu201D increment tableu201D etc...and also it's very easy tool to automate any SAP Transactions .... you can make your E2E or consolidate as many as scenariou2019s ex: P2P, OTC etc...but if you want to use eCATT it's not possible ...

Recently on Nov 15th, SAP released SAP TAO 2.0 SP4 ...version it has new functionality Run & Report, extra features for Object Spy etc...Just see the Demo from SAP and you will now the advantages of SAP TAO .:)

Good luck.

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found some where ..see if it helpful for you.

1.0 Set External Tool Parameters in the ECCUST_ET Table

a) In the ECCUST_ET table certain values must be set for the external tool parameters as part of the SAP configurations for eCATT-QTP integration. These values can be set using transaction code SE11.

b) Enter name ECCUST_ET in the table column and select Display button.

c) Create a new entry and enter the values

1.1 Roles and User Profiles to be Setup for eCATT-QTP integration

Necessary Roles and User Profiles to be setup (a) to run/edit eCATT scripts (b) work with an external tool (QTP) in integrated mode or connect to eCATT from an external tool (QTP) in standalone mode are discussed in this section.

Roles Associated with eCATT operations: SAP_ECET, SAP_ECAT, SAP_ECST

SAP_ECAT: This role contains authorizations for the creation, display,

modification, deletion, and execution of eCATT test scripts and test

configuration.

SAP_ECET: Role for External Tool Interface with eCATT

SAP_ECST: This role contains the authorizations for the display and start

Edited by: Ram Challa on Nov 30, 2010 10:23 AM

Edited by: Ram Challa on Nov 30, 2010 10:24 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi , Please see my inline comments as for my knowledge.

While in that process we got the following options with solution manager.

1. using SAP TAO 2.0 - Best tool for Automation in the market as of now.

2. using ECATT - As for as i know Ecatt is a third party tool you don't need solman for this.

While doing the analysis got the following questions.

1. If we plan to implement SAP TAO, got to know that it requires License - Yes

1.1 what is the procedure to get the Demo license and if possible cost details for the demo license - Please contact SAP.

1.2 Is it best to with SAP TAO or ECATT will suffice our requirement(i.e bringing in a End to End scenario of integration testing- Automation) - See eCATT is good tool to use for mass upload not for automation. SAP TAO is a good tool where you can automate all your regression testing scenario's and it's good for E2E business scenario's.

2. If we plan to use ECATT, i read that we need to enable scripting and then make the third party tool in ECUST table -

my doubt is isthis setting is to be done in solution manager or the ECC server where the testing is performed.

if it is the ECC server why do we need to bring solution manager into picture - you are right you don't need solman to enable scripting btw.if you are using ECATT or SAP TAO scripting should be enabled in ECC system ..for example if you are using QA system .. scripting should be enabled in that particular system only. There are plenty of notes in SAP how to enable scripting ..it's just few steps.

3. Do we got some reporting funationality, like we have in QC about which test casees being passed or failed...or some kind of log where the test has failed. - When you execute the TAO scripts you will get results in XML format with all screen shots and what data you have entered per each transaction that too if you use a capture screen component while you are designing a test case ..yes u have log files after execution. .

let me know if you have any questions.

Ram

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

Test Capabilities: SAP Solution Manager acts as central point of access to SAP and 3rd party test capabilities. It includes additional capabilities like defect management and integration validation.

See

[E2E Integration Testing|https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000725177&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&]

Regards,

Paul

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

That's quite a lot of questions!!

>

> 1.1 what is the procedure to get the Demo license and if possible cost details for the demo license.

> Subhashini.

You may raise a OSS Message under XX-SER-GEN-CONTR or SV-SMG-TAO, but still I doubt if you have something as demo license for TAO.

Check this link

https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700001251992010E/AdminGuidTAOSP04.pdf

This will give you a lot of idea on TAO license as well.

>

> 2. If we plan to use ECATT, i read that we need to enable scripting and then make the third party tool in ECUST table.

>

> my doubt is isthis setting is to be done in solution manager or the ECC server where the testing is performed.

For reporting you can refer to the available BI Reports for SOLMAN TWB.

Check these blogs for integration

/people/community.user/blog/2007/01/02/integrating-ecatt-mercury-qtp-part-1

/people/community.user/blog/2007/01/15/integrating-ecatt-mercury-qtp-part-2

/people/community.user/blog/2007/01/22/integrating-ecatt-mercury-qtp-part-3

Hope this helps.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu