cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1402, System error 87

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when I try to deploy CRRuntime_32bit_13_0.msi via GPO ("computer configrration \ software installation"), I get the following error message:

Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0
Crystal Reports. System error 87.

Please have a look at the double backslash.

When I install the runtime manually on the client, it works.

The problem doesn't exist with the 64-bit runtime.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a fix for installing via GP that worked for us.

Download orca MSI editor from msdn.

Open the MSI package with the editor

on left hand side click the Registry table.

Right click and export Table.

Open table with text editor.

Do a find for all double backslash

Remove one \

Save File

Open the msi package again.

Right click and drop Table Registry

Right click and import table (choose the table you exported and updated)

File -> Save

You now have the package that will work via AD.

Edited by: kevinp1 on Nov 19, 2010 5:32 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

That worked, thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

The above work around worked in our enterprise as well.

The computers affected were Dell E6500 laptops - Win XP. Not sure why just those were affected but thought I'd mention it for future use.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I've had issues with DELL and worked with their support trying to figure out what the differences were. At the time they said they only through up the DELL splash screen on startup but various logs and dll's lists showed there were differences. Off the shelf versions of Windows typically always work....

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using the merge module to distribute the Crystal components and have the same problem, even with SP4.

The problem for us seems to exist only on Windows XP machines that are deployed via GPO, as Windows 7 machines (x64/x86) seem to work fine with this deployment.

Opening the merge module in InstallShield, we found that the System Configuration-Registry shows an extra backslash for the \Crystal Reports and \Shared keys as well as a Crystal Reports key without the backslash.

We removed the backslash from \Shared and merged \Crystal Reports with Crystal Reports, saved it as a new merge module, and referenced this new merge module in our install.

I hope SAP/Business Objects can correct this in the merge module as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm getting the same error as Schaussi, and agree with him that it is more than likely a problem with the msi installation.

When viewing this post on the forum, the double backslash is missing between

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0" DOUBLE BACKSLASH "Crystal Reports" which might be causing the issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Ok, except if you DON'T use GPO the installer works fine.

I've done google searches and this is noted in various places as being a problem but at the same time there are work arounds.

The next question is is this supported by Microsoft registry API's in msiexec?

I'll have to check with our build team and R&D to clarify. In the mean time please check with GPO to see what they say...

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

Hello,

Check their support site. It may be they have a length issue with the registry key name. And verify you are installing under the Admin account so it has full permissions.

Nothing we can change now.

Not sure who is throwing the 1402 and 87 error either. Check their site or Microsoft's site for possibly and MSI installer error code or GPO error code...

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't found anything about this error yet.

It can't be a permission problem, I think, because when deploying via GPO, the installation is run as SYSTEM user.

There must be a mistake in the MSI file.

Maybe there is a way to edit the file to correct the wrong registry path (e.g. remove the double backslash).