cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA : differences and costs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

HANA is designed to enable faster ways to process data from business applications in real time, without impacting the underlying source system. I believe HANA will bring new and interesting opportunities to SAP. Which are the most important technical differences between HANA, BWA and BOEA? Which are the cost differences?

Regards,

Bob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bob,

Here are my thoughts:

HANA: Here's my recommendation for the best in-class next-generation BI solution. Deploy HANA as a standlone server with two logical system partitions. 1st partition for standalone HANA modeling and 2nd partition to host HANA DB for BW 7.3. This way you get to exploit HANA performance for both SAP BW system as a database and also use the HANA power for standalone non-BW (ECC and flat-file) application that need good performance.

BWA: I would not recommend a BWA solution for a new BW implementation. Given the fact that SAP has announced recently that BWA 7.3 will be the last release for BWA. However, if there is a critical BW application in production that needs better performance, then BWA will be a quick fix solution. The cost difference between an SAP HANA solution and a BWA solution is narrowing down quickly. I do not want to go into details of cost.

BOEA (aka BOE Accelerator Version): Guys, there is some confusion here. BOEA does not support BWA acceleration for non-BW data source data. Meaning that if you are using BOEA (accelerated version) - you can load non-SAP and Non-BW data but can not accelerate the data using BWA unless the data is put in an SAP BW info provider (cubes,etc..). Only BW info providers in a BOEA solution can exploit BWA acceleration. Other data (non-SAP and Non-BW ) can only exploit on indexing capability of BOE internally but not the BWA. BWA portion of BOEA is specific to BW in the backend.

Also, please read my executive summary on SAP HANA @ http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/u1AO5NidaMTYSD49JoHsjg

Regards,

Rama

former_member182467
Participant
0 Kudos

so if we have BW with HANA is it like a latest BW system altogether and not like HANA is replacing ECC right. Sorry if it a silly question. I mean to ask HANA is not a ECC R/3 system but an additional feature to NW BI 7.3. Please update.

Thanks,

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

I cannot discuss financial aspects of these solutions, but from technical pov I hope you'll find helpful two last posts at

/people/vitaliy.rudnytskiy/blog

Cheers,

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

BWA- Increases BW query ,supports only SAP Data.

BOEA-Business Objects Explorer Accelerator supports non-SAP data ,compatable with BWA 7.2 ,additional blade is required.

HANA-In-Memory appliance supports realtime reporting of data from the ECC to BW.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rajesh.

nagendra_hamsala
Explorer
0 Kudos

Rajesh well said. Personally I belive, BWA & BOEA would eventually be replaced by HANA.

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add to Rajesh's email:

BWA- Increases BW query ,supports only SAP Data.

-- BWA accelerates data sourced from BWA which maybe from have been loaded from any data source. BWA 7.2 with BW 7.3 has a lot of additional options including being a primary persistance for InfoCubes (i.e. they are not stored in the BW's relational database).

BOEA-Business Objects Explorer Accelerator supports non-SAP data ,compatable with BWA 7.2 ,additional blade is required.

-- BOEA is based on BWA 7.2 Support data loaded from BW and any source supported by SAP BusinessObjects Data Services.

HANA-In-Memory appliance supports realtime reporting of data from the ECC to BW.

-- Hana supports realtime data loads via Sybase Replication Server and from any source supported by SAP BusinessObjects Data Services. Hana supports a number of BI clients such as SAP BusinessObjects Explorer, Dashboards (Xcelsius), Analysis, etc. (inc. BW)

Hana with the above clients could be considered as a successor to the SBOE solution.

Cheers,

Mike.

former_member182467
Participant
0 Kudos

so if we have BW with HANA is it like a latest BW system altogether and not like HANA is replacing ECC right. Sorry if it a silly question. I mean to ask HANA is not a ECC R/3 system but an additional feature to NW BI 7.3. Please update.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vitaliy,

When you mentioned about "Financial" aspects, i was wondering can you provide me the link (if any) on T-shirt sizing and costs of SAP HANA software?

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu