cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 8.5 - Memory could not be read

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been trying to figure this out for two months now with no luck. I have searched through this forum and other location, but still have not found the answer, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are running a proprietary ERP system which uses Crystal Reports 8.5 viewer to pull up reports such as invoices, POs, etc. We have the ERP system installed on 3 terminal servers. 2 out of the 3 terminal servers exhibit a "Memory could not be read" or "Memory could not be written" error at random times when viewing the reports. So it does not happen all the time, but the error can be recreated when viewing multiple reports.

I used the Modules program to figure out DLL differences between the Windows 2003 terminal server (TS1) that works without any errors vs the one with errors (TS2). I found only a few dll differences:

comdlg32.ocx - replaced but still get errors

fm20.dll - replaced but still get errors

fm20enu.dll - replaced but still get errors

mscomctl.ocx - replaced but still get errors

rpcrt4.dll

secur32.dll

shell32.dll

shlwapi.dll

wininet.dll

The bottom 5 DLL files I could not replace because they were in use.

I also did a search for "Crystal" in the registry and compared all entries and they are the same.

The module program shows the reference memory error location is usually ntdll.dll but sometimes it references some other DLLs which are identical in all servers.

Any suggestions on how I can track down this problem? It has been a frustrating few months, and the errors happens often enough to be very irritating to our users. The ERP provider does not help us because they claim it is something with the servers as it runs smoothly on TS1.

Thank you,

Rishi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

Could be a lot of things. Checking the registry on permissions could be another option. Use ProcessMonitor and compare the 2, look for access denied errors.

Another tool is DebugDiag and set to the exe. You don't have the PDB files for CR 8.5, and we don't have them anymore either, that can drill in the API being called when it crashes, if it is our API. But it may help you debug the configuration.

All of those dll's belong to Microsoft so we can't help much. For DebugDiag you can download the PDB's for those dll's from Microsoft which may help also.

Sorry, 8.5 is close to 10 years old now so we can't help. If it works on T1 then I suggest you still with what works. Old legacy software was never intended or even knew of the new OS's and what they may do.

It may have something to do with DEP also... Really hard to say for sure...

Thank you

Don

Answers (0)