cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX print control for Crystal Reports for .NET 4 - hosting it locally?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a web project that I am converting over from .NET 2/Visual Studio 2005 into .NET 4 / Visual Studio 2010. The project has code written for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and, after conversion, is running using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010.

In my old project under .NET 2 / Visual Studio 2005 / Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005, I had set it up to allow the PrintControl.cab file to be downloaded from our own web server within our Intranet (instead of from the Business Objects server over the Internet) - this solved a number of problems. Just wondered if there an equivalent way to do this in the .NET 4 / Visual Studio 2010 / Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 world - to setup the .NET 4 ActiveX print control to download from our own server (instead of SAPs server)? Does this even apply with the .NET 4 version?

I was hoping someone from SAP / Business Objects (or elsewhere) could clarify this - or send me a link to an article that explains how to do this (or whether or not this even makes sense) for .NET 4/ Visual Studio 2010.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

Good point. I don't see the CAB files either. You could build then manually in the mean time. I'll ping the PM and ask him what the replacement method is for deploying the controls.

Thank you

Don

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Trevor,

The ActiveX Print Control is deployed with the CR.NET runtime on the IIS where you're installing your ASP.NET web app.

The cab file isn't housed here at SAP for public consumption.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks - this is a change (for the better!) from the default behavior in Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 (where the CAB file was downloaded to IE clients from the Business Objects central server by default - unless you changed the configurations to host it locally). I want this to be downloaded from our local IIS - so I'm glad this is the default behavior.

Thanks for all of your help!

0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

I did some more searching and found that we don't install to the SAP folder but the cab files does exist in:

Note that there are 2 locations now:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727\crystalreportviewers13

And for 4.0 app's

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13

You did not say how you were distributing for 2008 but it should be the same way for 2010. Copy the cab file to the work stations and extract it and then install the PrintControl.inf file which should register the required files etc.

If you use a tool called FileMon and filter on IIS it should show you or log where the controls are coming from when a work station requests them.

There should be a web.config file in the app folder telling IIS which version to check for. Or it could be system.config. I updated my test systems so I don't have system to look at.

Once our Search starts working again in here to can search for more info.

Thank you

Don