cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Releasing activities in SAP NWDS and NWDI Dev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have delivered a SAP Java Web Dynpro Code.

This has been done two months ago.

But I never released the activities.

While activating the activities from SAP NWDS; I activated the latest activities. There were two activities; one for the model dc

and the other for the view dc.

These two activities took all the predecessor activities while activating. So, the central built is successful.

Now, I want to know the release process.

While releasing, should I release all the activities based on the activation date on ascending order or should I release the latest activities for both the dcs ?

Once this activities are successfully released; they would be reflected in the cons part of the SAP NWDI track.

Then, I need to import these activities to the assembly.

Please suggest.

Regards

Kaushik Banerjee

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Activate and Release all activities based on the latest activity. Predecessor are automatically taken.

Thanks

Kaushik

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kaushik,

What Ervin has suggested is absolutely right,

If you are saying that activation process with all the predecessors was successful then it will be the similar case for Release process.

To have a deeper understanding on this consider the following example.

1) You have one webdynpro view with just one text view containing the value "Hello World"

2) Assume that you modify this text view value property to "Hello World has been Modified Once".

3) This change will be wrapped inside an Activity1; you check-in this activity.

4) But, you forget to Activate this activity, and after 2 months you come back and modify the same value of the text view value property to "Hello World has been modified twice after 2 months" and associate this change in the Activity2 (your latest activity) and check-in.

5) Now, when you activate this latest activity mentioned in the above step number 4, it will automatically show the option of activating it with all its predecessor activities that are pending.

6) So, if you run your application after the activation process got executed successfully you will see the text view with the value "Hello World has been modified twice after 2 months"

Release process works exactly in the same patter as explained above.

Hence, there is no harm in releasing your latest activity as at this time also the system will ask you to release it with all its preprocessors.

I hope this gives you a clear picture.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

my issue is: I have created several activities with 5 WD components with multiple changes. Many of them i already released. I again did modifications and created new activities. Now when I tried to activate the activity during check-in, some activities failed. ( I everytime deployed changes to portal after each modifications directly) but while check in some activities failed.

Can anyone suggest if I can simply add the WD component to new activiy which will take all the modifications and check in-activate the same. So I dont have to worry if I am missing out any changes previously.

How would be the procedure.What about the activities already released or failed?

Please help.

Nutan

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes, please release all activities (as far as I know the release process is similar to activation, i.e. the system automatically pops up if there are predecessor activities to be released).

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-100793

After they showed up on the cons queue, please import them all.

Important is that at the assembly step the software (SCA file) gets created always from the cons/active workspace, i.e. if you forget to import a change into the cons buildspace, and you perform assembly, then those changes won't be part of the generated SC file.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In my company we work on parallel projects with on going development. Our team is global too. The only way to share code is by checking in to the repository using an activity.

Now the problem I am facing is what if one Project A needs to be deployed before Project B? I will not be able to deploy it if project B turns out to be predecessor. Hence I am looking at options to release by activity.

Could you suggest me on what I can do to release by activity in NWDS?

By "Release By Activity" I mean is to be able to select specific activity and just activate and release just that one.

Appreciate your response.

Thank You

Vijay A Jayaram