cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From SPL to TREX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are live with SPL screening since last May for vendors and customers only (BPs). We are really disappointed with performance and high hit rates (around 10%).

We had SAP consultants trying to improve the hit rate but due to the nature of our database and all the scenarios that we need to cover we could not find a solution so far.

I was told that TREX should help us to have a more accurate screening decreasing then the false positives.

Does anybody have experience with TREX? How is it to go from a SPL screening and start to use TREX? Is it too demanding to set it up? What about tests and configuration? Do we need to test all scenarios and tune the configuration settings again?

I appreciate any input on that matter.

Thanks and regards,

Debora.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debora,

Which version of GTS module u r with? As of my knowledge, TREX is only available from 7.2 version...

TREX is a free SAP search utility that improves the quality of SPL matching. It is the most significant improvement of SPL. Apart from TREX have you tried using the Exclusion list entries which significantly improves the performance of SPL screening without compliance gaps?

Regards,

Shiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva

We are using GTS 8.0

We do have the exclusion list set up with some entries; but it did not help a lot with performance; at least not on our case.

We have not tried TREX so far; that is why Iu2019m trying to find out more about it. Do you know if extra hardware is required?

How is it to go from SPL and start using TREX? Is it a smooth change?

Thanks,

Debora.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Debora,

I can recommend SAP note 1520087 - SPL Performance Corrections from 03.11.2010 and 1522354 - Inappropriate database access on table /SAPSLL/CMPA.

Maybe this will help without using TREX

Anyway, approx how many objects are you screening everyday?

Regards,

Gabriel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gabriel

We screen about 160 BPs in a daily basis. Our problem is when we get a file updating the Sanctioned Party List; in this case we have jobs to screen the entire database against the updated sanctioned parties.

To give you an example, in Jan we got a file containing updates for more than 6,000 sanctioned parties. This caused about 7,000 blocks on our system. This is when we have a lot of trouble checking all the blocks.

Thanks for the information; Iu2019ll take a look on these notes.

Thanks and regards,

Debora.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have been using TREX for some time now and there is observed improvement in the quality of SPL screening hits..

The right combination of TREX + GTS setting is essential to control the SPL screening results , without compromising on compliance slippage.

Let me know if you need any specific details and we would be happy to share our experience with you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jasmit,

I am interested in some tips how to reduce the false hit rate with TREX. Our settings have been already optimized over the years, our false hit rate is currently 5.4%, which is quite good, but it still means hundreds of blocks at each delta screening. The business owners have expectations to reduce the false hit rate further. But just by switching TREX on and setting the TREX match rate to 90%, the false hit rate goes up to 5.7%. I was testing all possible customizing settings, but because they are already optimal, I did not get any improvement. Currently I see only the possibility to put more words to the exclusion list, but the business owners dont like this too much. How did you manage to get better results?

BR Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Can you detail me the complete set of changes w.r.t the TREX interface - what algo have you used, any pre conditions put in the same, etc

As you mentioned that there is an increase in hit rate with turning ON TREX,there could be an alternate setting that is not complementing the TREX matching algorithm.

Probably we can setup some time offline to discuss on the same.

JFYI, as a starting point, I always suggest to look at the indexes being generated in GTS and the ones available in TREX . At times, that is a major point in false positive shoot-ups.

Regards,

Jasmit

former_member357054
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jasmit,

I am working on implementing TREX to our GTS landscape. From the above discussions,I see that you have very good idea on TREX in GTS. It will be of great help if we can connect offline to discuss on some doubts I have. Will it be possible for you to share your email id to me ? Please drop me a note , my email is rexdhan@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just saw this post and was wondering if anyone has had sucess using TREX? Looking for some information on the Pros & Cons. Also someone stated that TREX is free (no cost) how do I go about getting it installed OSS notes? Please advise.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your posts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will second Jasmit's guidance, as we worked on the same TREX project, and since then I have had the chance to deploy TREX at three of the largest companies using GTS (with several million business partners each).

If you have concerns about hit rate or performance, TREX is not where you need to look. TREX is a tool that will allow you to improve the quality of your matches by doing two things:

1) Remove the "word within word" constraint that will prevent two very similar words from matching unless one of them is found entirely within the other. There is no other way to eliminate this constraint and it is an enormous compliance gap.

2) Prevent matches between words of drastically different lengths. Without TREX, short words can block much longer words, simply because the short word can be found within the longer word. This too cannot be configured away.

The first improvement will increase your hit rate, while the second will reduce your hit rate. As Jasmit recommends, if you integrate TREX with changes to your native SPL settings, you can achieve a drastically higher quality of matches without a significant increase in your hit rate.

We've written quite a bit about this on our GTS blog at [GTS Blog|http://www.entrypointblog.com].