cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java VS ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, We are moving to SAP and are new to it. Given the fact of SAP moving with JAVA, my question is should we choose JAVA over to ABAP Application server. Is java fully efficient to handle all the business request or we have to rely on ABAP in certain area? What is disadvantage if we only choose JAVA or ABAP. We are interested in SAP workflow, Adobe document, BI and I want to know from skillset perspective, if both JAVA and ABAP are requested or only one is sufficient. Please advise. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all you need to understand what SAP ABAP stack is and what JAVA stack is.

Both are totally different in functionalities. And for a company to implement SAP, ECC is a must system which must be on a ABAP stack at least.

And if you want to use some JAVA appications like ADS then you need to install a JAVA stack or else you can use the JAVA stack of your Sol.Man.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response. Regarding to system installation, we will install JAVA stack and ABAP stack to have full function of SAP. And I am sure 90% SAP standard package, such as Payroll, Financial will be working for us. My question is more about what development environment, JAVA or ABAP, will be dominant for developing to meet business requirement.

We are in the process of hiring new employees and we want to know in which skill set we need to have more focus to leading us toward to the future development. If we choose JAVA, is any area JAVA programming have limitation to call SAP function? Can we write JAVA program to call API of ABAP stack? We are interested in the following area for development: BI, Portal, workflow, Adobe interactive form. Please advice. Thanks,

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

ABAP stack is a must use.....Java is optional depending on requirements.

If its for recruitment then I dont think u will be able to hire stack specific resource.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For BI, Portal and Adobe, Java is a must.

I would suggest you install a double stack so that you get functionalities of both ABAP abd Java in 1 system.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Soujanya,

It's true for 7.0 systems. But regarding to Installation Guide:

As of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including enhancement package 1, you can install dual

stack (ABAP+Java) systems only with usage type Process Integration (PI) or Mobile

Infrastructure (MI). This means you can only install a dual stack system either as a

Process Integration system or as a Mobile Infrastructure system.

Regards,

Laszlo

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I would suggest you install a double stack so that you get functionalities of both ABAP abd Java in 1 system.

Just to add:

Double stack instances are no more recommended. Install two separate instances.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zhangh,

For that much application you will probally need both stacks for taking full advantage of those applications. There some reports and features that are only available in one stack or another. For such complex suite of applications that you are listing, you will probally ending up to install both stacks.

Cheers,

Maurício