cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution Channel Vs Sales Document Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have a confusion over my configuration process. My customer has the following types of customers:

1) Distributors, 2)C&F, 3)Institutional Sales, 4)Modern Sales, 5)Employee Sales, 6)Scrap Sales, 7)Sale of raw materials and 8)Exports.

Now I have an option of either creating 8 distribution channels and maintain one Sales document type or I can define one Distribution channel and define 8 sales document types.

My requirement can be achieved by both means but I wish to know which would be a better approach. Whether creating multiple Distribution channels or creating multiple sales document types. Can you please suggest me a better method among the two with advantages and disadvantages if possible?

As far as pricing condition records are concerned, I anyways have to maintain in the key combination either sales document type or distribution channel. So i am a little confused over which is a better approach

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In normal cases, we would be having different sales areas for the following

1) Domestic

2) Exports

3) STO

4) Institutional

In fact, some clients would like to have Domestic OE and Domestic Retail since predominently, they cater to these segments and would like to have reports based on these. In my earlier project, they had gone for even Exports OE and Exports Retail due to the fact that their major sales is exports.

In your case, first decide whether to go for a seperate sales area or sale order type depending upon the volume of business the client would do. If the sale is going to happen only occasionally in any of the above, then have one sales area called miscellaneous sales.

As for as possible, have the document types to the minimal for better performance.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Maintain the 3 distribution channels as

Domestic

Exports

Other Sales.

In Other sales you can have different doc types for Scrap, Raw material, Employee etc

In Domestic you can have your major sales like (C&F, Institutional etc)

But it all depends upon the report requirement also?

You can group the customers into customer group also

regards

Prashanth