cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the column heading background a different colour to the fields?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created a cross tab using Crystal Reports XI. I would like the background of the column and row headings to be a different colour to the summarised fields. (Headings: Blue, Summarised Fields: White). I have tried two ways of doing this but both appear to have serious flaws when it comes to presentation, in particular with regard to control of field margins and their colour:

1. I can set the column heading background in Cross-Tab Expert/Customize Style to blue, and then format the summarised fields to have a white background. The downside to this is that the summarised field cell margins remain blue. Is there some way to set the cell margins to white? This table illustrates this problem: [http://www.ifundsoffice.com:8081/cr/withmargins.pdf]

2. Another way of doing it is to set the cell margins to zero. The downside to this is that the resulting cross-tab does not look very presentable. I can change the size of the cell, but not the vertical alignment of the text, so the text appears stuck to the top of the cell. Is there some way to alter the vertical alignment? This table illustrates this problem: http://www.ifundsoffice.com:8081/cr/withoutmargins.pdf

Is there some other way of doing this? For example, (using Excel) this is what I would like the table to look like: http://www.ifundsoffice.com:8081/cr/desiredtable.pdf

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't have CR XI installed any more but I believe the crosstab options have not changed. Right click on the header and right click and select Format Editor and then Border and check on the Background option. You can then select the color to set it to.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

By doing what you suggest, I end up with a blue box surrounded by a white margin. It looks fine if I disable the margins but this is something I am trying to avoid. Is there a way to colour in the margins?

If I understood correctly, this is what the cross tab looks like when I do what you suggest: http://www.ifundsoffice.com:8081/cr/formatheadings.pdf. Please let me know if I have understood wrongly.

Regards,

Vasilia

former_member222556
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dear,

If u want to set BAckground color of column and cross tab

-->Design -->right click on Page Header >Section Expert>Color-->Background Color (Blue)

-->Same for Corss TAb or you can use different Style of Cros Tab given there .

Regards

Obaid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I change the background colour of the section where the cross-tab is placed, this does not affect the colour of anything in the crosstab. So this does not help.

You second sugestion is vague. I have tried that avenue and encountered the problems I have listed above.

Vasilia

0 Kudos

Try again on the second option. Look around the various tabs and you'll find the feature to change the fore ground and back ground colors. Be specific in the area you right click on so you get the area around the text object and not the heading itself.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Don,

I have tried what you are suggesting and it doesn't seem to work for me. No matter where I right-click on the crosstab (not including the fields), if I change the background colour, the only thing that changes is the colour of the top left empty space.

This is the report I'm working with: http://www.ifundsoffice.com:8081/cr/whitetable.rpt

If you have the time to try and see if you can change the column headings to blue whilst leaving the rest of the table white, I would really apreciate it.

Regards,

Vasilia

0 Kudos

Hello,

Download our sample reports from: https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100005852352008E/cr_xi_xtreme_rep_smpl_en.zip

You will find a Crosstab.rpt report with exactly what you want.

Right click on Column #1 text and select format Field and then the border tab and then the background color and select blue.

I believe what you were doing was formatting the suppressed summary ( first column ) which because it was suppressed the color is not shown.... ( or I think this is what you were doing )

Thank you

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Feb 3, 2011 9:51 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Right click on Column #1 text and select format Field and then the border tab and then the background color and select blue.

>

> I believe what you were doing was formatting the suppressed summary ( first column ) which because it was suppressed the color is not shown.... ( or I think this is what you were doing )

The above always leaves a white boarder around the field in a crosstab

But it you go to the crosstab expert, Custom style and select a header column or row column, you can then select a backgrount color.

Edited by: DebiHerbert on Feb 3, 2011 2:51 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debi,

Thanks for your suggestion but I have found that by going to the crosstab expert, Custom style and selecting a header column, changing the background colour affects the colour of all the summarised fields as well as the header. Which is not what I want. I know that I can change the colour of the background of the summarised fields back to white, but their margin colour remains the same colour as the column header.

Don,

I have not found what I want on the example reports. The closest report to what I want has the margins switched off to achieve that effect - again, something I am trying to avoid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your only options are

color with white border

color including headers and data

eliminate margins

Thats the way it works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debi,

I think you're right. I was hoping there was something I had missed.

Thanks for helping.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PS: This:

But it you go to the crosstab expert, Custom style and select a header column
 or row column, you can then select a backgrount color.

was new to me. I figured it out from the crosstab report sample Don pointed us to. Thanks Don. I learn something new every day.

Former Member
0 Kudos

After you get to the point that you have made the entire cross tab background the color you desire, and you have set the individual summarized field(s) background back to white - then the final magic is to right click your summarized fields, pick Grid Options, then uncheck Show Cell margins